Visiting Boca Chica for Christmas & New Year

corhughes

Dec 9, 2005
Hi there,

I am visiting Boca Chica with my family from Ireland. We are staying for 2 weeks and have NO idea what to expect (adventurous eh?!)... anyway - I was wondering if anyone had any tips, must-sees, things to avoid and general information about the area. We are very excited to be visiting the DR for the first time.

Cheers,

Corina:classic:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Avoid Boca Chica and go to Cabarete or Sosua.
2 Weeks in Boca Chica is insane, maybe 5 days and you will have had enough.
Oh, I guess a day in The Colonial Zone in The Capital for seeing old stuff.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
corhughes said:
what's the problem with Boca Chica?
Except for the All Inclusive hotels, it's not somewhere you want to take kids.

Where are you staying in BC?

corhughes

Dec 9, 2005
ok - now I am getting nervous -- I have a 2 1/2 yr old. We have rented apartments at HOTEL RESIDENCIAL EL CANDIL. They got rave reviews on trip advisor and have been really helpful in the booking process....

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
corhughes said:
ok - now I am getting nervous -- I have a 2 1/2 yr old. We have rented apartments at HOTEL RESIDENCIAL EL CANDIL. They got rave reviews on trip advisor and have been really helpful in the booking process....
El Candil is an okay hotel for the money. You don't need to worry about safety.

BC is mainly a party town for single men. It has been toned down a bit lately, but it is still mainly for single men and couples looking to hook up. Besides the beach there is not much to see or do for families.

Are you planning to spend all two weeks in El Candil?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Guiseppe and Peteri are great hosts @ Candil, I would not spend 2 weeks in B.C.

corhughes

Dec 9, 2005
yes we are staing in El Candil for the entire time. We can take day trips if its that bad.... we are pretty easygoing and just want somewhere to relax...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
corhughes said:
yes we are staing in El Candil for the entire time. We can take day trips if its that bad.... we are pretty easygoing and just want somewhere to relax...
Assuming it is within your budget, I suggest you spend at least a couple of days in Capitol. It is about 30 minutes from BC and there is more to see. Depending on what time of the day you are arriving, I would start the trip in the Capitol, and end it in BC, which is closer to the airport.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Although it would not be my first choice for a family holiday you can have a low-key beach holiday with a toddler there, without coming into too much contact with the seedy side of Boca Chica.

Take a few trips to nearby places like the capital which has several child-friendly attractions (Zoo, Botanic gardens, Aquarium, Aqua splash water park, Museo Trampolin children's museum, the Colonial Zone in general), other beaches along the coast like Guayacanes and Juan Dolio, maybe a trip to Bayahibe and Isla Saona (weather permitting), Cueva de las Maravillas, Altos de Chavon, are all more or less within an hour or two radius.

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
there is nothing wrong with bc, i have been there many times in 15 yrs. have taken 3 children , and we had a great time. enough of the bc bashing . my family loves the place

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bill p said:
there is nothing wrong with bc, i have been there many times in 15 yrs. have taken 3 children , and we had a great time. enough of the bc bashing . my family loves the place
My main point was that besides the beach, BC doesn't have much to see or do. IMHO, two weeks in BC could be a little boring.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Ok..i will probably repeat a few things here...but i want to let the O.P. that she will be safe...and that its not terrible...and it can be fun!

Ok...if you have searchred the threads here...you will probably figure out that there are quite a few working girls in boca chica (someone suggested going to sosua....as if there are no working girls there..ha ha ha).

I have been going to boca chica for about 6 years...and am NOT into the working girls....but i have met and hung out with married couples (and NOT swingers) and other singles and have had a great time there.

The beach isnt the prettiest beach in the carib. BUt since you are traveling with a baby...the water is very calm and you can have fun playing with her/him there without fear of waves.

I dont think you could have picked a better place to stay than el candil. Peteri and Guiseppi and gracious hosts....the service and the staff are great...and it just a very pretty place (albeit not on the beach). And the security there can not be beat after an All Inclusive. They have strict guest policies etc....you will not find working girls or boys loitering around (although you might see other guests coming in with "visitors". ) but the owners are really sincere about making it a place for everyone to feel welcome.

I do recommend picking up some books before hand tho...as there really isnt much to do or see in boca chica...cept for the beach.

As others have meantioned...the nightlife used to be notoriously seedy...but thats sorta off the main strip now....and trust me...your 2 year old wont pick up on it...and the girls will leave you and your hubby alone.

two weeks DOES seem like a long time...but who knows...you euro's are used to more vacation time that us americans. There are quite a few day trips available from BC tho. Isla Saona (which i want to do on my next trip)...perhaps a day or two or three in santo domingo and the colonial zone.

THere are also other beaches you can go to without the beach vendors trying to haggle you (probably the most annoying thing in BC.....put on a head set tho...or just close your eyes...and after a few times of saying NO...they will leave you alone)

Also..pick up a copy of the book Lonely Planet (SOON..this week!!!) and see if you can find some things of interest for you. There ARE things to do on the south coast...it just isnt so touristy as the north.

i dont recommend doing the aquarium as someone suggested....did that my first visit....and well...i have seen much better aquariums in boston and nyc.

well...i am rambling here...feel free to PM me an i can try to come up with some more ideas for your two weeks.

Not sure if you are into baseball...but that is another thing you could do for a day trip to break things up...and i know just the guy to take ya there!

dont worry....you are going to be safe and fine.....perhaps a bit bored in bc...but thats what you have your family there for no?

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
:nervous: Hi,
We're staying at the El Candil, the husband and I, for one month! We've had it up to our ears with Boca Chica, but I must say it's convenient and comfortable at the hotel. The owners are wonderful to us and Giuseppe speaks 5 languages! Certainly, if you want to tour Santo Domingo you should do it on a tour (Caribe Tours, e.g.) as you will NOT want to drive in the city. The bus will have a/c and will bring you to the highlights. There are lots of good restaurants in BC and the beach is okay for little ones as there is virtually no surf, but you will grow sick of it and perhaps one day will jump on the gua-gua (bus) and take the 5 min. ride to Playa Caribe, a beach with waves and a decent restaurant and beach chairs to rent. The bus is 50 pesos or less and no charge for the baby.
As for the chicas who will only approach you when not with your wife, a simple "Non, gracias" will turn them away. Same phrase for the dozens of beach vendors who will try to sell you crap even if you're reading/sleeping/talking to someone on the beach. If you are in one of the restaurants (they are totally open to the street) the vendors will walk in and approach your table. I think I've said "Non, gracias" about ten million times in 2 1/2 weeks! We are not interested in buying cigars, viagara, coconut, shrimp, beads, clothing or cashews on the beach. When we are interested in shopping we go to a SHOP!!! We are famous here already because we are always walking with our little Welsh Corgi, Foxy, and mostly people either are afraid of her or want to pet her, but quite a few people have teased her terribly until we pull her along and get away from the offender. At this point not many people approach - I guess we are the ugly americans by now! If you want to PM me I'll fill you in on our favorite restaurants, markets, etc. The milk here is quite similar to home when purchased from the refrigerated section. The alternative is a Parmelat type product which the little one may not accustom to easily. But you'll have an easy time buying fresh organic veggies and fruit, and probably eat a lot of chicken with rice and beans (not the lovely spiced variety you'd find in Jamaica!) and lots of Italian food. Pizza here is wonderful almost anywhere.
Things I wish I brought with me: a roll of scotch tape, more comfortable shoes, an extra battery for my laptop, and a long lighter for lighting the cooktop in our apartment. Most valuable item I did bring: Burts' Bees Herbal LEmon Insect repellent. Moscas (mosquitos) are brutal if you're on their hit list. They don't bite Rick but the LOVE me! This product isn't poison to the little one and won't even force an extra bath as the smell is heavenly.
If you need to use the laptop haul it down to Playa Vista - a bar on the beach - and for the price of a beer you can access their WiFi. Peter and Fleming are great hosts there, and the wife and baby will enjoy sitting at the beach or in the sea. You can use the laptop on the beach, too, but be sure you're spending a few pesos in the bar. Within a few weeks El Candil will have high-speed internet but the wireless could take months. That's paradise for you!
Hope you're not too put off about coming here. You'll do fine as long as you're forewarned that the most common tourist here is a 60+ gentleman looking for an 18 yr old chica for the evening. Quite funny , really. I'm sure you'll be back at the hotel after dinner most evenings and the street doesn't come alive until 10 or so.
Send any questions you may have.
Janice & RIck from Cape Cod

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
sunman6 said:
:nervous: Hi,
We're staying at the El Candil, the husband and I, for one month! We've had it up to our ears with Boca Chica, but I must say it's convenient and comfortable at the hotel. The owners are wonderful to us and Giuseppe speaks 5 languages! Certainly, if you want to tour Santo Domingo you should do it on a tour (Caribe Tours, e.g.) as you will NOT want to drive in the city. The bus will have a/c and will bring you to the highlights. There are lots of good restaurants in BC and the beach is okay for little ones as there is virtually no surf, but you will grow sick of it and perhaps one day will jump on the gua-gua (bus) and take the 5 min. ride to Playa Caribe, a beach with waves and a decent restaurant and beach chairs to rent. The bus is 50 pesos or less and no charge for the baby.
As for the chicas who will only approach you when not with your wife, a simple "Non, gracias" will turn them away. Same phrase for the dozens of beach vendors who will try to sell you crap even if you're reading/sleeping/talking to someone on the beach. If you are in one of the restaurants (they are totally open to the street) the vendors will walk in and approach your table. I think I've said "Non, gracias" about ten million times in 2 1/2 weeks! We are not interested in buying cigars, viagara, coconut, shrimp, beads, clothing or cashews on the beach. When we are interested in shopping we go to a SHOP!!! We are famous here already because we are always walking with our little Welsh Corgi, Foxy, and mostly people either are afraid of her or want to pet her, but quite a few people have teased her terribly until we pull her along and get away from the offender. At this point not many people approach - I guess we are the ugly americans by now! If you want to PM me I'll fill you in on our favorite restaurants, markets, etc. The milk here is quite similar to home when purchased from the refrigerated section. The alternative is a Parmelat type product which the little one may not accustom to easily. But you'll have an easy time buying fresh organic veggies and fruit, and probably eat a lot of chicken with rice and beans (not the lovely spiced variety you'd find in Jamaica!) and lots of Italian food. Pizza here is wonderful almost anywhere.
Things I wish I brought with me: a roll of scotch tape, more comfortable shoes, an extra battery for my laptop, and a long lighter for lighting the cooktop in our apartment. Most valuable item I did bring: Burts' Bees Herbal LEmon Insect repellent. Moscas (mosquitos) are brutal if you're on their hit list. They don't bite Rick but the LOVE me! This product isn't poison to the little one and won't even force an extra bath as the smell is heavenly.
If you need to use the laptop haul it down to Playa Vista - a bar on the beach - and for the price of a beer you can access their WiFi. Peter and Fleming are great hosts there, and the wife and baby will enjoy sitting at the beach or in the sea. You can use the laptop on the beach, too, but be sure you're spending a few pesos in the bar. Within a few weeks El Candil will have high-speed internet but the wireless could take months. That's paradise for you!
Hope you're not too put off about coming here. You'll do fine as long as you're forewarned that the most common tourist here is a 60+ gentleman looking for an 18 yr old chica for the evening. Quite funny , really. I'm sure you'll be back at the hotel after dinner most evenings and the street doesn't come alive until 10 or so.
Send any questions you may have.
Janice & RIck from Cape Cod

really great post! i think you sum things up for the OP rather nicely. the working girls will leave you alone if you are together. The beach vendors are anoying...but after a couple of days and saying NO...they will leave you alone as well. ANd while not the best beach in the world....they can have fun with the little one in the water without any concern. Two weeks is a bit of a stretch....but they have the capital near by. and other beaches (as u meantion playa caribe as well as a few others).

Petteri and guissepi will bend over backwards to help them out with assorted day trips etc.

So..i think the OP know knows what they are in for. Not bad...not paradise....i kinda think of boca chica as the coney island of the carib LOL.

AND...i have seen many families having dinner on calle duarte at night without being harrased.

ok...now my final suggestion to the OP...is to learn some basic spanish so you can hop on a guagua and get around cheaply (as well as getting a chance to mingle with the local folk)

OH...and have fun!!! it might not be some grand resort...but it is what you make of it!!! and it is WARM!!!!