christmas cards

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i haven't sent out my christmas cards yet.

anyone know where i can buy a box of 10 in the capital?
can't find any anywhere.
nothing flashy.......oxfam or similar will do (knowing that i like to give to charity).

- plus it looks as if i'm making a greater effort than last year when i sent an internet card to everybody's e-mail.

the only drawback was explaining to granny how to sign up at hotmail.com at her local internet cafe - all the money i saved on the cards was lost on the phone bill (don't fancy going through that again).

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
bochinche said:
.... the only drawback was explaining to granny how to sign up at hotmail.com at her local internet cafe - all the money i saved on the cards was lost on the phone bill (don't fancy going through that again).

This is funny. All the 'granny's' in our family are trained, excepting one. And for that one, we send a fax... we're in the wired world - there is no way that I'm sending paper cards!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Christmas cards, I think I remember what they used to look like.

You can get the usual UNICEF ones here and there, even though sending cards is not really a Dominican thing. I may be wrong, but maybe even in La Sirena. UNICEF have a shop, according to Mr C, somewhere off 27 behind the Lina. As an added bonus you get to support an unwieldy bureaucracy.

Mongoose

Jan 30, 2004
El Arca christmas cards

There is a charity in Buenos Aires Hererra in the capital called el arca part of the larger known organisation l'arche which has a group home for adults with disabilities they also run a workshop for the residents and other disabled members of the community who make and design their own cards small decorations and gifts. Perfect for Christmas giving adn you'll get to give to a worthwhile charity.

It is off of calle Mexico in las Carreras right at the bottom. About two minutes form hererra airport

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Wow, a friend of mine used to work at l'Arche in Compiegne years ago. I had no idea they had projects here.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
bochinche said:
i haven't sent out my christmas cards yet.

Aren't you a bit late with sending those cards anyway? I mean if you want the cards to arrive abroad (which is where I think you're sending them to) around mid-February you'll be fine. But I thought the idea af xmas cards was that they would arrive before xmas......

I once sent some cards to Denmark and I opted for the 'express-stamp' offered in the store, at additional cost of course. I'm glad I did. They arrived roughly 6 weeks after I sent them. I won't even dare to think when/if they would have arrived with regular stamps. :ermm:

Anyhoo, it's the thought that counts, so this year I'll just think about sending xmas cards.....

Mongoose

Jan 30, 2004
El Arca / Larche

Yeah it has been here for nearly 20 years has two group homes and a workshop and there was a school which unfortunately had to close a couplef months ago because of a lackof funds.

The director has just changed and is a lady called Milagros the phone number is 809 5610097.They are very appreiatice of any foreign purchase or even visits so feel free I lived there for a year a while back and it is great place.

Merry Christmas