Vehicle imports: TRAILER

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have pretty much prepared all my belongins to be shipped (not immediately) when I will have received my "residencia" next year. I'll all go into a 20' container that I might even own. Anyway, among some of the things that I own and was not sure about taking over is a flat (low) trailer, you know, for transporting cars and such. Well, it just has the dimensions to fit snuggly into that 20' container and it occured to me that it would be kind of cool to load everything nicely on framed pallets onto de trailer and just roll the whole mess into de container... making unloading equally as easy. I plan to buy a new Nissan Frontier or Ssang Yong Rexton in the DR, equipped with the apropriate ball-hitch, before I'lll have my stuff sent over. All are household goods, tools and such that will be imported under tax exemption for new residents (at least that's what I hope).
QUESTION raised: Knowing how problematic the customs situation is in regards to motorized vehicles (vehiculos motorisados, as they describe it), I still can not find any mention or rule regarding non-motorized vehicles, such as a trailer.
Can I bring it into the DR without opening a too big can of worms?
Can I later on register it to bear a Dominican liscense plate and papers (it currently has German papers and I can change them to German export papers), and if so, what would the precedure be, what would I need to bring along (papers and so forth).
Finally, and I doubt that would really be possible, could it be registered and plates issued before it even fisically gets there (bringing the papers first)?
Finally, are lawyers who rutienely do "residencias" for foreigners typically set up to handle the import of household goods?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I like your idea of loading things onto the trailer. However, experience teaches us, the ones who have moved to the DR, what seems practical to us is not the practice here because the goods will be removed from the trailer at Customs.

When your container arrives in the DR, it will be held at the port for processing. Part of the processing will include a complete inspection of the container's contents. Almost everything will be removed from the container, packaged goods/materials will be opened for viewing and inspection by customs officials. The trailer will be removed from the container to be sent to the impound yard for inspection/customs evaulation and held until plates and registration are issued for it. After the inspection, your household goods will be returned to the container minus the trailer. Note: It is up to you/your broker to get the process for the trailer registration moving as there are storage charges that accrue after a free period.

It may be to your best advantage at the time of inspection to be there with some additional people (eyes) on your payroll to keep an eye on your goods during the inspection to lessen the risk of damage or theft until they are returned to the container and secured.

I would suggest you would be better served and and it would be cheaper and less stressful if you sell the trailer prior to moving to the island and use the gains to purchase or construct one here.

I am not the only one who will offer you help, there will be other members online who will service you with information.

Regards,
PJT

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Thanks for your answer PJT. It shows the reason why I ask.
How long is that inspection period? Will a broker get information about when it is to happen. What is it they are looking for, since as you describe they seem to check very in detail?

Thanks!... J-D.