Punta Cana to Samana

treesy

Dec 10, 2005
Hi there,
Arriving in DR end of Jan at Punta Cana 4pm, we need to spend one night in that area higuey/punta cana and then travel on to Samana/Las Galeras the next day. Does any one have any advice on:-
a)somewhere cheap to stay (just a jet lagged sleep for 2 adults and one year old)
b)any advice on the best way to get to samana, we know this involves ferry from sabana de mer to samana which we believe runs at either 11am or 5pm?
ANy info gratefully received,
thanks Treesy

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Treesy,
If you will go to the 2nd page of the Transportation section of the Menu on www.SamanaOnline.com you will find information regarding travelling from Punta cana to Samana via the ferry. Allow youself plenty of time for the trip as it will take at least a half day or more.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Or, if you don't like the trip Andy B is described, you can go to Santo Domingo and take a Caribe Tours or Metro bus from there. That would probably take most of a day.

clara

Jan 6, 2005
The ferry leaves at 11am, 3pm, or 5pm. I would plan on the trip taking you most of the day.

If you want to get the 11am ferry, you should spend the night in La Romana or better yet San Pedro de Macoris and leave really early in the am for Sabana. The tricky link in the trip is the guagua from San Pedro to Sabana, which can take over 2 hours depending on how many stops it makes etc... I traveled from La Romana to Sabana to get the ferry a couple weeks ago and even though we left La Romana at 6am, we just missed the 11am ferry.

The trip is fun and a great way to see beautiful countryside and participate in great conversations/chisme on the guagua...

Have fun.

Clara

hedlykarok

Mar 3, 2005
www.latinamericanlady.com
Higuey is a better option

to stay the night. you need to go through there anyway (unless you fly takeoffweb.com, which would be the easiest, but not the cheapest).
there are practically no cheap hotels in the punta cana area - many, many choices in higuey. and it is a rather nice little town, inmh, plus you can get a few pics of the basilica. i stayed in a very cheap ($15/night) hotel right across the street from it and met several people who spoke excellent english.
from there, the guaguas make few stops, a change in el seibo (el ceibo) and hato mayor - i'd guess about 2-3 hrs to sabana.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
badpiece33 said:
Just a question can you get a vehicle on this ferry or not?

The boat is not equipped for vehicles, foot traffic only.

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While all of the above is true, i can't for the life of me figure out why nobody told this person to book a flight to Santiago and save a whole two days of travel???

HB:D:D:D