Belize to D.R.

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
Does anybody know the most direct way to get from Belize To the D.R.
Plane or boat.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Well there are no boats, so usually it would be a flight to Miami then the DR, unless COPA flies from Belize in which case you could go to Panama then the DR.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
dmad said:
Does anybody know the most direct way to get from Belize To the D.R.
Plane or boat.

This was a very interesting thread for me to see come up on here.

I have read up quite a bit on Belize since I got home from the D.R. 10 days ago.

I knew the basic's of its history regarding it being formally British Honduras etc.

They have what could be considered an enticement program for people to retire there. It doesn't seem to have the beaches or beauty of the D.R. but it looks like it has more stable government.

A lot more English spoken there but that could be less exciting I guess as one wouldn't have to learn another language to get into the local culture.

I guess if it was better than the D.R. then half this board would be living there.

Has anybody got some knowledge on Belize and could give some good examples of the differences between it and the D.R. as far as living there goes.

Kiwi Bruce

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
trip in new year

I will fill you in on why I ask, I have been to the D.R. 6 times and it is with out a doubt my favorite spot in the world.I own a peice of land outside of Samana and am ready to build.With that said my concern is for my children ages 9 and 11 and I am just not sure that the D.R. is the place to raise kids for many reasons.We have a trip planned for Belize in the new year and are considering moving there instead.I have a few friends that have purchased property there and claim it is the best spot on earth.
I will give you my thoughts when I return.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would say based on a visit a long time ago and on stuff I have read since then that on cost of living and crime rate Belize is less attractive than the DR. I remember Belize City being quite threatening, and that all the food in the shops was imported and expensive. However, it is a beautiful and interesting country, and you should go and see for yourself whether it suits your purposes or not.

If there are flights to the DR from Cancun that would be the most direct route. Otherwise if there are flights from Belize to Jamaica.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Belize

I did an internet air fare search and found it was cheaper to fly from Western Canada to Belize than it is to the D.R. This really surprised me.

Would love to hear some comparisions between living in the D.R. or Belize if anybody has any information please.

Kiwi Bruce

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
You need to do a visit

dmad said:
I will fill you in on why I ask, I have been to the D.R. 6 times and it is with out a doubt my favorite spot in the world.I own a peice of land outside of Samana and am ready to build.With that said my concern is for my children ages 9 and 11 and I am just not sure that the D.R. is the place to raise kids for many reasons.We have a trip planned for Belize in the new year and are considering moving there instead.I have a few friends that have purchased property there and claim it is the best spot on earth.
I will give you my thoughts when I return.

I was in Belize in 2003, and was not at all impressed by this country. Overall, I did not think it was very safe there. Like in D.R. and other third world countries, Belize has its share of social problems, i.e. drug dealing, a red zone (for prostitution), immense poverty in some areas (very depressing), high rate of H.I.V., etc. Most small businesses are owned by Chinese.

There are immigrants from El Salvador and other Latin American countries living there...What I was told was that the main reason they moved there was to escape the trouble / wars in their lands.

Overall, I believe that the D.R. has a lot more to offer and in terms of the city (Sto. Dgo.) it is also much more developed, and I am not saying that just because I am Dominican. I do not believe the two countries can be compared, and I mean no offense to anyone. It is just my personal opinion.

Have you thought about the schooling for your children? I am not sure where you reside, but like someone else mentioned, I believe you have to go there and see for yourself.

MeDominican