Just a cute t-shirt or a blunt statement

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
I took a photo of the maid to my apartment in Cabarete a couple of week ago. I posted it in the media gallery and the link to it is below.

I thought it was very appropriate especially for the D.R.

Cute and or true I guess I thought.

What does the board think. Was she wearing it because it was a cute t-shirt or because she was stating a blunt message.

http://dr1.com/media/cgi-bin/media....Member_Photos&image=cabaretemaid.jpg&img=&tt=

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Kiwicanuck said:
What does the board think. Was she wearing it because it was a cute t-shirt or because she was stating a blunt message.
The former. I'd be very surprised if she knew it's meaning.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
She's better looking than most housekeeper's I have seen, I would not be surprised if she gets a few new "clients" as a result Kiwi!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
MrMike said:
Probably some joker gave it to her as a gift.

Probably gave her the shirt and a Sugar Daddy candy bar and she has no clue what it means. If she really knew what it meant I doubt if she would be wearing it to work and she would also be in another line of employment.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Don?t kid yourself. These Dominican young women are a lot smarter than we gringos give them credit for. I would bet that she knows exactly what it means. Now that is not to say that she is looking for a sugar daddy the t-shirt looks good on her and so she wears it.

Chuckuindy

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
A Few Words Can Change Her World

The message is clear.
She'll get one (or more).

It's a small investment and it may have a huge success.
Economics well learned.
Clever girl.

m'frog

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
I was returning from Mexico to California and there was a young girl (probably no more than 15) on the coach bus who had a t-shirt that read "You have to earn more than I can spend". The message is clear, and it is obviously spreading.

Sure, the message on your maid's shirt is cute, and that would probably be the excuse if she were confronted with it. On the other hand, it is a message for those who would take her up on the offer.

May 31, 2005
chuckuindy said:
Don?t kid yourself. These Dominican young women are a lot smarter than we gringos give them credit for. I would bet that she knows exactly what it means. Now that is not to say that she is looking for a sugar daddy the t-shirt looks good on her and so she wears it.

Chuckuindy

Oh please people!

I agree with Chuckuindy. She probably knows what it means but only wears it for fun. How many times have you seen teenage girls in the US and Europe wearing t-shirts like these? Plenty of times.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
"Maid"? Is that really her job in your house, Kiwi? She is a very good looking gal.

Did you really post the picture so we could see the t-shirt, or because you want the res of us to be jealous?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I doubt she knows what it means.
Go to the tiendas here and look at the t-shirts for sale, 80 % have messages in English that the girls buying them have no clue about.
" Yes, but not with you", "Latinos have more fun" ( incl. the Playboy logo ),
" I am Amor", "Sugardaddy...", "My boyfriend is out of town" etc etc

Means nothing, exept that it is fashion here.
If she knows it, the girls here buys those for fun.
They use other methods to get a sugar daddy than a t-shirt, believe me.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Okay

This young lady did the daily room service i.e. making the bed, changing the towels routine in the apartment unit building I stayed in by Cabarete.

A very nice apartment unit I must say also. I posted a picture of it also.

I think it is probablly a case of it just being a cute t-shirt that she liked whether she understood what it meant or not. She didn't mind me taking a picture of it.

I certainly meant no disrespect towards her and just thought it was an interesting question to pose with so many younger woman with older guys on the North Coast.

Kiwi Bruce

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Originally Posted by Rocky
I'll trade you for my maid....

Larry said:
Mine too....

All you guys with 'maids' lol

I wish it was like that up in Canada as well.

Is that why all you Canadians are living in the D.R.

Do all the woman like Chris and Carina etc have maids also, or is it just a guy thing ?

Kiwi Bruce

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Kiwicanuck said:
Do all the woman like Chris and Carina etc have maids also, or is it just a guy thing ?
That's actually a very interesting question.
I'm interested to know, as well.
I would guess that the long timers all have maids.
It's so inexpensive, one can hardly afford to not have one.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I don?t have a full time maid, but yes I have a maid.
She cleans twice a week, she does laundry also twice a week.
She makes snacks for the week, such as empanadas, bolas de yucca etc.
And some extra stuff, whatever comes up.
So she work 3-4 days a week for me.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Two days a week, cleaning and ironing only, but she almost always ends up making the rice because I usually get it wrong when I try to do it the Dominican way. She also makes 'berenjenas asadas' when I ask nicely.

When I was working full time she used to come in three days a week, and did the cooking on those days as well.

She's two years younger than me, a grandmother of two (!) and sometimes wears T shirts that could give the young woman in the OP a serious run for her money! ;)

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We have a nanny/maid five days a week. When the kids were small we had our nanny five days a week and a maid three days a week. Seems like an extravagance, I know, but there are so many inconveniences to put up with here that I take advantage of the benefits as much as possible, and I really hate housework.

Our nanny has been with us our entire stay and we ended up firing two maids over the course of 3 years. Good help is a blessing and I would think almost everyone (esp. those with a job outside the tourist industry) that has lived here for a year or more has at least a part-time maid.