Calling Dominican from Ontario

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
I am from just outside of London, Ontario and my husband is in the Dominican. He has a cell phone and sometimes i can call his room at the resort he works at in Punta Cana. I usally use the Overseas Max phone card and get about 55minutes to his cell. Recently i have been having some connection problems.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good phone cards or has tried using a phone through the internet. We talk almost everyday, but it is getting pricey when i keep getting cut off.

Thanks

Kim

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife buys Caribbean Direct for $2.50 and get aprox 55 minutes per card, but she isn't phoning a cell, so you would probably get about 25-30 minutes to a cell for $2.50.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I use Maximum Carribean when I have to call.... for $5 you get 45 mins to a cell.. I've bought the cards a couple times in London, but around here they only have them in Kitchener i find...

P.S - Pretty brave to post that your husband works at a resort ....

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Thanks I will have to try those.

Tomorrow we will have been married for 2 months...and i married him for one reason...We love each other. Sure a lot of times i have questioned myself and i have read a lot of these threads, but it comes down to what your heart tells you and how he has treated me. He has never given me any reason to doubt him. He makes me happy.

For a little history, i met him in November 2002, and yes...he was a bartender at a resort. He was never pushy, nor a sweet-talker. He just went about his job and i kind of went to him. I was very attracted to him, kind of looks like Denzel Washington! I only hung around where he was working for a few days and then we exchanged numbers before i left. That was it, no sex, nothing! I only tipped him $5cnd. I called him (at the hotel) 2 months later and he was gone. About a month later he called me and told me that his friend told him that i has called. We continued to talk every few weeks. I then went back to Dr for 2 week vacation in 2003 to a hotel close to his hotel. We spent every moment we could together. When i went to go home i knew that we liked each other a lot. I cried and then he cried. Even though he had his life and i had my life, i continued to date others but never found anyone that treated me the way he did.

In conclusion, we tried to get him here on a visitor visa 3 times to just learn that it was next to impossible (wish i had known about the forum). Finally i did a lot of thinking because i was ready to "settle" down and go with what makes me happy. In all honesty we were not ready to get married. I told him in 2004 that i was NOT going to marry him to bring him to Canada. He said that he did not care because he wanted to just be with me and it would happen when we were ready. He never preasured me or asked me for a dime! I have dated a few carribean men and he seemed different. After getting declined the visitor visa in June 2005 i knew that i either had to love him or leave him. There was no way that i was able to leave my good paying job to go live there and there was no way i could leave him so that is when i decided to marry him.

Yes i took a risk, but what isn't a risk now adays?? My heart tells me that i did the right thing and that i do love him very much. He's my Baby! Through the distance and the heartaches of being declined we have always found happiness in each other. I take care of what i need to but he still never asks me for anything. He has a lot of respect for me and my family. He is always asking how everybody is.

For the last year we have almost spoke everyday. Yes, he still works at a resort but he is now a Capiton of the bars and restaurants. I am able to contact him 24hrs a day if i like. He has never given me any reason to question him. If he decides to be unfaithful, i stongly beleive that what goes around, comes around. I also beleive that anybody has the choice of being unfaithful, whether they are living 10minutes from you or 10 hours from you. It depends on if they want to do it and the upbringing of your family values. My husband, Oscar, told me that his father was a casanova and didn't like what he did to his mother. Oscar had to work for money and food when he was 8 years old to take care of the younger children since his father did this. He vowed that he would never do this to me or his children. We are now starting the immigration process.

Bottom line is that we are happy together and it doesn't matter what anybody thinks. I always loved what Trina has wrote cause i know that Oscar and I are similar to Angel and her. She is the one that has made me stick with it and follow my heart.

Maybe one day i will find that i was wrong to be with a Dominican, but then again i could have said that if i was with a Canadian, American, or Jamaican. People are people! Black or white. We are all different. Some are good and some are bad. We will all get what we are destined to have. Right now i know that Oscar makes me very happy and puts a smile on my face. Period

Kim

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
Awww that is so sweet! I wish you two much happiness and success in your new marriage. When will he join you in Canada? I just married in July, I met my husband while he was studying in the States a few years ago. Love reading romantic stories... Congrats hun.

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Thanks! It's nice to read nice comments. Sometimes i am afraid to see what messages i get!

Congrats yourself! Are you guys planning on living here or the states?

I am hoping that we get the papers correct and he can come mid 2006(8mths) and then we will bring his daughter here, my new daughter, the following year or when we get settled.

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
He will be coming to the States again soon. Filed the paperwork through our lawyers in August, so I hope that hes here by May at the lastest. How old are you guys?

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
Have you met his daughter yet, or will the first time be when she arrives? Im currently looking for a nanny to bring over... cheaper and better than using daycare (which im not fond of.)

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
La Barbie.....Where in Kitchener can you find these "Maximum Carribean" cards. I live about one hour north of Kitchener and would like to try this out. Currently I use "Selectcom"....it's .23 cents /minute to a cell...so 45 minutes is costing me twice as much.
Muchas gracias!

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
I met Oscars family on June 25,2005 and then I met his daughter, Jenni, on June 28, 2005. Jenni spent almost two weeks with us at Sunscape the Beach Resort and she loved it. It was like seeing a kid at Christmas! She is so beautiful. I then went back to DR to get married October 8,2005 and Jenni joined us for the week. I love the feeling i get to give something to a child that they have never had before.

Dresposa, have you ever heard of dominicans coming to Canada? When we were declined the visa in July, I went to a farm in Exeter Ont. to see if i could bring Oscar here to work. I would have liked to live with him before marring him. They said no because Dominican was not apart of the Canadian trade agreement. Although your situation is different. If i remember F.A.R.M.S is the organization, you might find something to help you. Where about do you live?

I am 25 and Oscar is 31 and Jenni is 8. How about you?

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Sorry Dresposa!!!! For some reason i was under the impression that you lived in Canada! I don't know why! Love crazy maybe!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Skype also offers 'skypeout' which isn't free like skype. You buy credits and can phone a normal phone from your PC. Very cheap indeed.

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
Im in the States, I am not sure how Canada works. Never applied for any visas before marriage, because our lawyers advised against it. Do you have a lawyer? or are you doing the paperwork yourself? BTW Im 28 and he is 27 (11 months apart..lol). I am the older woman..lol

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Skype Out

Costs about 2.95/ a month to keep the number.

This includes something like 2 1/2 hours of talk time and is a heck of a lot cheaper than calling cards.

I can not see the correlation of a Marriage Visa and phone service, oh you hijacked the thread, no problem!

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hi--
I use Latino Direct (when I get through) to call to a Dominican cell and it's 11 cents a minute, HOWEVER you can't always gets through. The problem with Caribe Direct, and Latino Direct, the reason they are soo cheap is b/c they can't guarentee connection, so you'll get busy, or it will ahng up on you, and you can't return the cards b/c they are crap ones. So it's luck of the draw. You are better off paying the higher price if you can get through.

You only get what you pay for!
My two cents!
Lisa

purplebunniern

May 13, 2004
calling DR

another option is using Primus which you have a monthly fee but do your research and to call the DR is $0.17 a minute. its worth it other than that I use CiCi.