Restaurant Review: Porter House

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Last night I went to the Porter House in Santo Domingo (Abraham Lincoln) with Larry, Robert and BOK (PIB's better half). The restaurant is relatively new and doing very well from what we could see. Here is the rundown...

We had reservations for 8:00PM and showed up at about 7:40PM to have a drink in the bar area. There was only one party seated in the dining room and about 20 servers bustling around preparing for the night. The bar area is a comfortable place to hang out and the service was excellent. At 8 or so we decided to move to our table and were not hassled at all about paying the tab at the bar. They never even mentioned it and just transferred it to the dining room. This main seem like common sense to many of you but in the DR you never know how things are going to go. It was refreshing.

The whole place is very nicely decorated and a bit upscale. The only complaint that you will read here is that the temperature was a bit chilly.

We had an absolutely fabulous meal. Salads or soup all around...bottle of wine...steaks(good sized Ribeyes...not obnoxiously big...just right) and churrasco...all cooked exactly as we asked for...mashed potatoes and fried yucca...mmmmm.

Bo had dessert while the rest of us enjoyed after dinner drinks (port for Scandall, Grand Marnier for Larry and TWO huge coffees for Robert).

The service was absolutely outstanding. I would have to say that it is the best I have ever had in the DR. The staff is clearly very well trained. Bad service is somewhat of a mainstay down here so this was refreshing. Especially since we were spending good money.

The total bill came to about RD$7,000 (with the 26% in it). We threw in another RD$500 tip because the service was so good. Roughly USD$50-$60 each for a spectacular meal with great service. A no brainer.

At the bottom of the bill they give the total in pesos, dollars and euros. I thought that was a nice touch.

The dining room was full when we left and the parking lot was full of cars. Nice cars too....a 2005 Ferrari among them.

Anyway, all four of us agreed that it was outstanding, well worth the price and that we would have no reservations about returning.

Wear decent clothes and remember that it might be a little chilly. I recommend making a reservation too. The dining room was full when we left at 9:30PM.

Scandall

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I agree, great steak place, best I have been to in this country.
The service was a little to good, maybe I'm used to living here :)

The Ferrari 360 Spider also looked very nice :)

Price is long forgotten after the quality is remembered.

This place is quality!!!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I agree with everything Scandall said. My only complaint was that the AC was a little too high.

The food was very, very good. The service....shocked me. It was outstanding. Examples:

- We would not be more than halfway done with our glasses of wine when the waiter would come and refill them. He was also able to deftly do this without disturbing our conversation.

- About 2/3 of the way through the meal, the waiter brought fresh glasses of ice water to replace the "old" ones.

- Scandall went to the bathroom and when he asked a waiter where it was, instead of giving him directions, the waiter led Scandall all the way across the room and held the bathroom door open for him.

- Where I was sitting, I was facing the window and my back was towards the rest of the room. I turned around twice to see how the room was filling up as we were one of the earliest groups there. Each time I turned my head, a waiter immediately walked over to see if I needed something. The waiters were just standing several feet away "waiting" to serve us. That is what waiters are supposed to do but is not an art that is understood in this country.

- When we were ready to go, we asked for the bill and it was delivered in about 1 minute. No waiting around for 20 minutes like in some places.

This place has obviously decided to make it a point to provide great service and the staff is trained very well. On top of the IBITS, we left a nice tip. I hope the wait staff enjoys it, they deserve it.

I am looking forward to going back soon and frequently.

Larry

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Waiters being alert to your needs is great as long as it's done in an unintrusive way. I was in a nice restaurant with Mr C once and we felt completely besieged by these lurking waiters. It felt like they were listening to everything we said and watching our every move. I'd never go there again for that reason.

It sounds like this place got it right. It is very new, maybe two months tops. We watched the building being transformed over the last few months and could not guess what it was going to be (bank? farmacia? boutique?) until the sign finally went up.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Waiters being alert to your needs is great as long as it's done in an unintrusive way. I was in a nice restaurant with Mr C once and we felt completely besieged by these lurking waiters. It felt like they were listening to everything we said and watching our every move. I'd never go there again for that reason.

It sounds like this place got it right. It is very new, maybe two months tops. We watched the building being transformed over the last few months and could not guess what it was going to be (bank? farmacia? boutique?) until the sign finally went up.

Yeah, Chiri this place definately got it right. They were not lurking over us at all. They knew what they were doing.

Larry

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I concur with the doctor's opinion

The food, service and price level really was that good.

I'm embarrased to say I was the only one jumping on the dessert wagon when it was rolled by our table as we finished the main course. Several pies and cakes were on display and my eyes settled on what could be flan or quesillo. Since I had flan at lunch I hoped it would be quesillo (just for the change, not that I wouldn't like more flan). The waiter told me that it indeed was quesillo. I couldn't be happier. When the piece was cut out and placed before me I noticed the lack of fluffy consistency I know from a good quesillo. It looked like flan, it tasted like flan and the check also said flan. But it was a good flan, so I was still happy. Maybe the waiter just told me what I wanted to hear, just like when the caddie says 'no' when asked if it's going to rain today and it's pouring by the time you reach the 13th tee and you're as far away from the clubhouse as you're going to get...........

The A/C was cranking out too high and today I'm snotty. I'm not saying the A/C did it to me, but it certainly didn't help. Next time I'll be prepared, because there will be a next time for sure. I'm already looking forward to it :lick:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Larry said:
Scandall went to the bathroom and when he asked a waiter where it was, instead of giving him directions, the waiter led Scandall all the way across the room and held the bathroom door open for him.

You're sure this has to do with good waitstaff? Or more to do with Scandall? ;)

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I really appreciated the great reviews by Larry and Scandall. I look forward to dining at the Porterhouse restaurant on my next visit in August.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Maybe they have the air so high, because they are trying to encourage the patrons to wear sport jackets.

Naw.. I forgot, your in the DR. :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
rellosk said:
Maybe they have the air so high, because they are trying to encourage the patrons to wear sport jackets.

Naw.. I forgot, your in the DR. :)

It's the right type of place and yes you will see some guys in jackets.
Lunchtimes it's packed with suits.

I'm due to go back for steak #4 soon :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What every happened to the Mysterious DR1 restaurant expert who wrote a review on dori's restaurant and promised to write more, yet we have not heard form him ever since that time. Funny his first post was a review of a restaurant which had the backing of fake Mr. Donald trump / waiter.
AZB