Is Your Water Safe?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I know that in the USA...water companies are required by law to test on a regular basis for contaminants....bacteria and chemical. And they provide the results of those test to anyone who desires to see them.

Sometimes the water we receive here in Santiago smells contaminated. I am concerned because my daughter get these rashes on a regular basis and my wife says it is from the water.

Okay...so can I get water analysis data from the local water company? Do they do regular testing?

I suppose that supply side water pipes underground can get seepage with contaminants. Will the water company come out and check your water or can you bring them a sample?

Should I consider filters. I am more concerned with bacterial contaminants. Has anyone found a way to ensure they have a safer water supply. Save from bacterial contaminants...not necessarily chemical contaminants.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
In an study more than the 60% of the water branchs are bad, a lot companies arround the country had been closed.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Snuffy, we lived for many years on a cruising sailboat and all of our water came from the dock faucets in places like Samana and Puerto Plata in the DR and in most of the other islands of the caribbean. We filled up jerry jugs, carried the water to the boat, and poured it into the tank. But before doing so, we put clorox in the water.

Now we buy the big bottles of bottled water, but we also drink water from the faucet. When in Santo Domingo we refill 20 oz bottles, at home we fill gallon bottles. but now instead of clorox (cloro, here) we use Purrrissima. It is more concentrated than clorox and requires a lesser amount.

We have been operating this way for more than 20 years without, as far as we know, any water related problems.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
not concerned about drinking water. Concerned about for example washing face and getting some in eye. I guess we can use bottled water for face, etc.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Snuffy said:
not concerned about drinking water. Concerned about for example washing face and getting some in eye. I guess we can use bottled water for face, etc.

Sure, you can use bottled water for face washing, etc. But you may also want to have a dermatologist see your daughter to see if something else is causing the rashes. My wife has had a major problem with reoccuring rashes at different times, but water has never been the cause.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I once saw some trucks filling up water in the river and then later saw same trucks delivering water to one hotel in Cofresi, where the water company often runs out of water.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Conchman said:
I once saw some trucks filling up water in the river and then later saw same trucks delivering water to one hotel in Cofresi, where the water company often runs out of water.

That's true, especially in periods of drought. But there are hotels that buy it regularly because they can't get enough from the regular source.

We do whatever we can to avoid having to buy it where I live because the water is so dirty you have to clearn out the cistern afterward.