Nanny Needed Abroad

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
My husband and I are looking to find a nanny in the Dominican Republic to hire and bring back to the States with us. Can anyone recommend how I would go about locating a reliable, honest nanny? Place an ad in the local paper perhaps? Thanks.

Its_where_I_Belong

Nov 5, 2005
Nanny Abroad

Dear dresposa,

I would suggest you sign-up with the Au Pair program, they do all the pre-screening for you, take care of legal paperwork and travel arrangements when completed with the Nanny. When registering with them you can specified the desired country of origin of your nanny, experience required etc....

Here is the websites of few of the organizations:

www.greataupair.com
www.aupairinamerica.com
www.aupair-world.net
www.aupairusa.com

Hope I helped you, best regards

Alain

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
Thanks for the information... Ive checked that site, and they dont have a lot of choices in regards to nannies from DR. Thank you though. =)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
dresposa said:
Thanks for the information... Ive checked that site, and they dont have a lot of choices in regards to nannies from DR. Thank you though. =)
Maybe that's because of the difficulty in obtaining a visa for someone from the DR.

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
getting one here isnt so much of a problem... but i am having trouble locating a mature one.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
DRESPOSA

Where are you located? I see you say the US, but not what city or state.

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
i was in miami... but i am in the process of relocating to Georgia. so in the meantime I am staying in Michigan, sometimes NYC, and flying back and forth to Santo Domingo.

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
I know what someone might say.... there are plenty of dominicanas in NYC who might be good candidates for a nanny position. But they're all too Americanized for my taste.. looking for someone traditional and reserved.

=)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Do you mean someone that will work for 10 dollars a day? ;)

If you plan to bring your mother-in law-over as you mentioned in the other thread you need to look at the US website to see if she can immigrate.

If your relative is a US Citizen and they can legally prove you share one of the following relationships, you may be eligible for lawful permanent residency, please see below for preference category information.

Husband or wife;
child under 21 years old;
Unmarried son or daughter over 21;
Married son or daughter of any age;
Brother or sister if you are at least 21 years old; or
Parents if you are at least 21 years old.

One step at a time. Wait for your husband to arrive.

Here's the link
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/family.htm

You Can't just bring back someone with you from the DR

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
No family members lol

Oh no..lol My husband suggested his mother... and I said no way! This is business, and I believe that would be a horrible mistake..lol If I dont get any leads, I am going to advertise in the local papers for an older woman.

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
*SMILES AT ANNA*

I like to do things in advance.. im crazy like that..lol Thanks for all the advice though.. youre a sweetpea.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
May I suggest on "how" not "who" for the moment. You need to find out how to get one to the US before you look for the perfect nanny unless you've changed your mind and are looking for a Dominican in the US.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
dresposa said:
*SMILES AT ANNA*

I like to do things in advance.. im crazy like that..lol Thanks for all the advice though.. youre a sweetpea.

Thanks
sometimes I sound like a bitch but I'm not ;)

I may have missed it but do you have a child or are you expecting one?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
May I suggest on "how" not "who" for the moment. You need to find out how to get one to the US before you look for the perfect nanny unless you've changed your mind and are looking for a Dominican in the US.
Anna we've been trying to get this point accross for 2 days in 2 different threads. She is oblivious to the fact that immigration via a work visa (green card) to the US from the DR is next to impossible, unless you can bat over 300 or have an ERA under 2.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Yes there are plenty of Dominicans in the US, and there are many who are still old fashioned.

My one question is why do you want a dominican nanny so bad? How do you plan on screening someone in the DR? How will you guarantee they will stay with you once you have brought them to the US?

dresposa

Oct 7, 2005
Youre so bad Anna.. that was funny though..lol

Anna, the "how to" get a nanny here has been taken care of. Now for the person who asked how will I stop one from leaving once she arrives.. never thought of that..lol hopefully find someone who wont leave..lol thats never a guarntee though. Ignoring Howmar...lol Did I miss anything?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
dresposa said:
Anna, the "how to" get a nanny here has been taken care of.

That's great
perhaps you should post it here because as you can see I try and save info to help others that might post at a later date.

Thanks ;)