European Front Loading Washing Machines

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Can anyone tell me if you can buy european style front loading washing machines in the DR? If so, where can I get one and how much can I expect to pay? Location: Puerto Plata.

Thanks in advance
Daydream

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Try Plaza Lama

Here in Santo Domingo they have a bigb selection of washers and dryers.Both front loading.You may have to go to Santiago to find what you need! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are you sure, Criss? I've only ever seen top loaders on sale in the DR. I think I've even come round to preferring them!

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Here in Santo Domingo they have a bigb selection of washers and dryers.Both front loading.You may have to go to Santiago to find what you need! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Will they deliver to Puerto Plata from Sanitago? - and any ideas on costs?

Thanks
Daydream

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm Not "SURE" og ANYTHING At My Age!!

Could be just that I want a front loading set so much I am "seeing"them in my dreams!
Iam in Boston now,and have been "drooling", more that I usually do, looking at the Advertising Brochures from "K-Mart","Wal*Mart","Target",and all the rest makes me do that!!:lick:
Can't wait to actually go to "Circuit City" and "fondle" some "Flat-Screen-Monitors",and other "High-End" Electronics! Then it's off to "Home Depot" and "Battery Operated Power Tools"! I will wear some "Depends" so no one will notice how "Excited" I am!!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
why would anyone want a clothes dryer in the DR? A "solar dryer" (clothes line) usually works much better, costs less. At least it did for us for 4 yrs in SD...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I"ve never seen a front loading washing machine here. there are many types of top loading machines available. And the price starts at over 15,000 pesos for a smaller more basic machine.

I've also seen what I would have called an apartment sized washer dryer, stacked on top of each other at Pricesmart for over 45,000 pesos.

Yes they do deliver from some stores in Santiago but not all. At Plaza Lama you can get your items delivered. http://www.plazalama.com this is their website and you can have a look yourself...

As for dryers Keith, well sometimes a girl just likes her jeans out of a dryer!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
planner said:
As for dryers Keith, well sometimes a girl just likes her jeans out of a dryer!
Good point! I **ahem** shall refrain from saying why I agree, lest I get in trouble...

However, as a practical and cost-saving matter, I think clothes line drying makes alot of sense in a place where there's more hours of warmth and intense sunshine in the year than there are rainy days. And wind-swept clothes can have a special clean smell to them...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The appliance market seems US oriented in most Latin America... including the DR as far as I could see. Front loads are even dificult to find in the US... I remember about 8 years ago we bought front loaders in Florida... most of our US friends would not recognize them as washer and driyer... they where of some Italian brand and mid range priced... the only others we seen back then was a very expensive line of Maytag.

My opinion is that US style top loads wash mor "havey dudy" but tear and wear garnment eventually. They last long and most are quite reliable... but many do not heat they're own water(!) and thus need an external source of hot water.

In Latin America you can find "insider" brands like Nash's Kelvinators.

... J-D.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Try Distributadora Corripio in Puerto Plata. It's an excellent appliance chain with stores in SD and Santiago. They deliver and have grear service. - D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
They are possible to find, but expensive.
I have a friend who bought one, fully automatic as well.
Ferreteria Deposito in POP. But they go for about 30.000 pesos.

I also saw one used for sale today on Calle Padre Castellanos.
20.000 pesos.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Danny W said:
Try Distributadora Corripio in Puerto Plata. It's an excellent appliance chain with stores in SD and Santiago. They deliver and have grear service. - D

Hey Danny, where are they located???

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Besides LG, what brands of clothes washers (top-load or front-load) do you normally find in the DR stores? GE, Whirlpool, Bosch, Frigidaire, Siemens, Miele, Kenmore, Asko, Eurotech?

Do any of the models sold in the DR tout their energy- and/or water-saving features?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mexican (?) make Mabe is also common, as is Daewoo, especially at the cheaper end of the market. Of the brands on your list, the ones I've definitely noticed are Whirlpool (we've got one), Frigidaire and GE.
If the accompanying leaflets mention their energy saving features anyway, they are touted, but the DR promotional information will not highlight these aspects.

A

apostropheman

i'm curious why you would want a front loader over a top load machine?

in may i bought a small, apartment sized washer. i sent the novia to Santo Domingo, her suggestion as she has family there, with 7000 pesos and she returned with the washer and change! 500 pesos or so for her return bus fare, shipping the washer back on Caribe Tours and the cost of the machine for just over 6000 pesos. the same model in the store on the highway in Sosua started at 10-12000 pesos.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, A-man, front-loaders tend to put less wear-and-tear on clothing, they use less water and some users swear that they use less detergents (but that sorta depends on which kind of detergent you use).

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Keith

A

apostropheman

Keith R said:
Well, A-man, front-loaders tend to put less wear-and-tear on clothing, they use less water and some users swear that they use less detergents (but that sorta depends on which kind of detergent you use).

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Keith

thanks, had no idea but sounds good so far!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
In existence

We bought a Spanish front loading washing machine ("Fagor")here about five years ago (Ferr. Americana).
In the meantime I have seen them in Santiago (Ferr. Bell?n) and more recently even here in Las Terrenas.
They use less water, have a heater and a fully automatic cycle
(incl. dry spinning).
Their disadvantage:expensive and fewer pounds of laundry (around 4 kg) per load.
This is why we sell ours...

m'frog

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
mountainfrog said:
We bought a Spanish front loading washing machine ("Fagor")here about five years ago (Ferr. Americana).
In the meantime I have seen them in Santiago (Ferr. Bell?n) and more recently even here in Las Terrenas.
They use less water, have a heater and a fully automatic cycle
(incl. dry spinning).
Their disadvantage:expensive and fewer pounds of laundry (around 4 kg) per load.
This is why we sell ours...

m'frog

May I ask how much you paid?

Thanks
Daydream