Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Santiago VS. The Capital

I'm having a very difficult time deciding which city I should move to. I've been visiting Santiago every summer since I was a kid. I have family there, but with the exception of like two people, I could care less about the freeloading bastards. I am now 20 and going off on my own. For a guy like me who enjoys, women (lots), drinks (lots), which is a better choice in terms of entertainment value? Santo Domingo for the great restaurants, nightlife, and culture in general, or Santiago? A city I'm more comfortable in but not neccessarily the most bustling and happenning town.

If I move to Santo Domingo I'd probably buy an apartment on the Malecon, but a house would seem like an interesting idea. Which is better to live in Santo Domingo, a house or a great apartment with ocean view? The apartments I've seen in Santiago are bull****t and ugly. If I decide on Santiago I'd get something somewhere en Los Cerros or something in Camp David Ranch.

Also, does anyone know about this area (Camp David Ranch)? Is there sufficient residential development up there? I was there once, but pretty drunk but I do remember the great views, just don't remember much else.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Santiago is quieter, cheaper, cleaner and the traffic is annoying but nothing like the capital.

I also personally think the ratio of attractive women is higher in Santiago than anywhere else on the island.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike
    Santiago is quieter, cheaper, cleaner and the traffic is annoying but nothing like the capital.

I also personally think the ratio of attractive women is higher in Santiago than anywhere else on the island.
    The ratio may be good, but the capital beats it 50 fold on shear numbers.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you are already familiar with Santiago why dont you rent an apartment in the capital for a few months so you can make a camparison?

Good luck and have fun

Larry

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I'm having a very difficult time deciding which city I should move to. I've been visiting Santiago every summer since I was a kid. I have family there, but with the exception of like two people, I could care less about the freeloading bastards. I am now 20 and going off on my own. For a guy like me who enjoys, women (lots), drinks (lots), which is a better choice in terms of entertainment value? Santo Domingo for the great restaurants, nightlife, and culture in general, or Santiago? A city I'm more comfortable in but not neccessarily the most bustling and happenning town.

If I move to Santo Domingo I'd probably buy an apartment on the Malecon, but a house would seem like an interesting idea. Which is better to live in Santo Domingo, a house or a great apartment with ocean view? The apartments I've seen in Santiago are bull****t and ugly. If I decide on Santiago I'd get something somewhere en Los Cerros or something in Camp David Ranch.

Also, does anyone know about this area (Camp David Ranch)? Is there sufficient residential development up there? I was there once, but pretty drunk but I do remember the great views, just don't remember much else.

You sound like a real assett to the DR

Use the search function of this message board and all your questions will be answered.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

seems like he has already made up his mind about moving to capital. He is a young rich person who wants to live the "la vida loca". So my friend, you are right, santiago can become boring but capital has planty more to offer.
    by the way robert, most of the beautiful girls you see in capital are originally from santiago area.
    AZB

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Pick the capital, more options of everything and anything you want is avaiable somewhere in the city. If its not available in this city, then it simply does not exist or is not available in this country, period!

Plus, plenty of restaurants, good nightlife, and there is always something new happening everyday somewhere.

About places to live, yes, an apartment would be the ideal for a young single guy as yourself. A house is too much preoccupation, maintanance, etc. With an apartment, you have neighbors and building managers or landlords who are responsible for the annoying but necessary things that otherwise you would be fully responsible for in a single house. Plus, some apartments and penthouses have some great views of the city, coastline, even the mountains!

As for where? The malecon has some nice properties, the most obvious and luxurious are the ones in Malecon Center, especially the Penthouses on the third tower. There are also nice apartments in the towers near the Centro de los Heroes (forgot the towers name). They are visible along the coastline, very nice apartments in deed. Of course, there are many anonymous nice apartments tucked in smaller more discreet buildings. However, don't ignore other areas of the city. There are very nice places along Avenida Anacaona across from the Parque Mirador del Sur. Avenida Anacaona is one of the most exclusive addresses anyone could ever be a part of in this country, thus it merits attention and there are some spectacular properties both in aparments and houses.

There also are some interesting apartment buildings in La Esperilla/Seralles, and in Piantini/Naco. If you want a more "suburban" feel while being in the middle of the metropolis, don't overshadow Gazcue. Certainly its one of the most pleasant areas of the city.

-NAL

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nal0whs
    As for where? The malecon has some nice properties, the most obvious and luxurious are the ones in Malecon Center, especially the Penthouses on the third tower. There are also nice apartments in the towers near the Centro de los Heroes (forgot the towers name). They are visible along the coastline, very nice apartments in deed. Of course, there are many anonymous nice apartments tucked in smaller more discreet buildings. However, don't ignore other areas of the city. There are very nice places along Avenida Anacaona across from the Parque Mirador del Sur. Avenida Anacaona is one of the most exclusive addresses anyone could ever be a part of in this country, thus it merits attention and there are some spectacular properties both in aparments and houses.

-NAL
    What are the best colleges in Santiago? Does anyone know if they offer financial aid?
    A million dollar penthouse address probably won't look too good on your financial aid application. But then again, this is the DR.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB
    by the way robert, most of the beautiful girls you see in capital are originally from santiago area.
    AZB
    As long as most of them are here, I'm a happy camper

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOWMAR
    A million dollar penthouse address probably won't look too good on your financial aid application. But then again, this is the DR.
    I was asking this question for a friend who've I convinced to **** American Colleges and is planning on moving with me you nosey mother****ing Expat! Stop looking at random threads and posting them on others that have nothing to do with them. Idiot.

Anywayz, it looks like everyone says the Capital. Looks like Larry is right and the best option is to rent in the area and become comfortable and make new contacts over there. Another thing and probably the most important thing I need to know.

Since I live in Santiago I spend the grand majority of my days in the campos eating fruits and looking at the fincas while at night I do very bad things with very bad girls What I love about Santiago is that it's still a REAL Dominican City and is not very Urbanized and has not really attracted too many annoying and camera yielding tourists. Is Santo Domingo a "Modern" Dominican Haven heavily populated by Dominicans or is it like Sosua, hustling and bustling but filled with sluts and Expats? In which case I'll just stay in Santiago with a presidente in my left hand, a girl or two on my lap, and Paniagua on the stereo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast