December crime wave

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
As anyone who's spent more than a year in the DR knows, crime goes way up in December, when the DR's criminal element goes out "shopping" for themselves. With record numbers of Dominicans being deported fresh from "Thug University" (prison) this is shaping up to be a record year.

What I have seen so far this month has convinced me that the criminals intend to have a very merry Christmas.

So for those of you who did not already know this, It is December and alot of people are going to be robbed in what's left of the month. This is the worst time of the year to get careless and a good time to beef up security in your home and business.

Also be very careful if you are out driving since drivers will be "drunker" than usual, and you might want to make sure there is a concrete roof above your head on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, when drunken idiots with guns will be shooting them up into the air because they haven't figured out that firecrackers are cheaper than bullets.

Be safe Y'all.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Hey Mike - funny thing's happening here. I lived in Sosua for a year and NEVER thought about my safety .... I lived with a Dominican man though. Now that I've moved, single white woman with a small child living alone, I am definately putting an alarm system in, this week, and even more so because it's 'the season'.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' :) I always knew you are a 'nice guy' ;)

Stay well,
Amy

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
MrMike said:
As anyone who's spent more than a year in the DR knows, crime goes way up in December, when the DR's criminal element goes out "shopping" for themselves. With record numbers of Dominicans being deported fresh from "Thug University" (prison) this is shaping up to be a record year.

What I have seen so far this month has convinced me that the criminals intend to have a very merry Christmas.

So for those of you who did not already know this, It is December and alot of people are going to be robbed in what's left of the month. This is the worst time of the year to get careless and a good time to beef up security in your home and business.

Also be very careful if you are out driving since drivers will be "drunker" than usual, and you might want to make sure there is a concrete roof above your head on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, when drunken idiots with guns will be shooting them up into the air because they haven't figured out that firecrackers are cheaper than bullets.

Be safe Y'all.

Mike this is absolutely true. People be very careful. A friend of a friend got mugged this morning in santiago. All while she was alone with her cousin. It was only one robber. He came in through the front door (which was open) and held them up with a gun. The robber didn't take much because these persons just moved to santiago from puerto rico. They don't have much as they are now starting to buy things for the house.

On a side note - Mike I gave them the number to your office. They are looking to install an inverter. They now also want to buy some type of alarm for the house. Hopefully you can guide them with this.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I hope it was the new number,

My old one is out of service. I am phasing this business out anyway, so mostly when I get referalls like this I will just refer them on to someone else.

You made a good point maybe without realising it when you said "the door was open". You can't leave anything to chance these days.

I had an armed robbery in one of my stores once (also in December but not this year) because one of my employees unlocked the door for some "customers" wanting to be a hero and make an after-hours sale. They took his cel phone, his laptop and his paycheck so he was justly compensated for his stupidity, but they took quite a bit of my merchandise as well.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
And let?s add to MrMikes so good post, also be careful about yourselves.
Ladies, those small handbags we use here, be careful if you are in town or on a motoconcho.
It is pocket thief season as well... and they are out for everything... your handbag, purse, cellphone, money...

This morning, I was at Casa Nelson for just 5 minutes in an errand.
The woman before me in line, was holding her purse while waiting for the change to put in in. A guy rushed in, grabbed her purse, and out..
A work done in seconds.
The cashier said it happens daily now, and they have 2 extra civil guys at the entrance since yesterday.

No game for sure.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Had a digital camera swiped 3 days ago from my Sosua condo, and an aborted beakin a few doors down last night. Good thing I'm safe and secure in Washington Heights! - D

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hi guyes, as dominican I have to tell you that normally we have to go out with 4 eyes, now we have to have 16 eyes, a lot thieves in streets, malls, and stores for this season.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Missing SUV

A friends SUV disappeared early this morning in Puerto Plata, although it smells like an inside job. A week or so ago he got it back from the paint shop.
Sounds to me while it was there somebody made a duplicate key. He had a cheap "Club" knockoff, which I guess they knocked off. It's a silver Honda CRV.
Thanks

funckytown

Apr 17, 2005
Wiesbaden, Germany, Germany
Merry Christmas...
Here in Juan Dolio, maybe only the killing of one of our nicest neighbour will stop crime
I explain
President Leonel live here in juan dolio some nights in his villa,

Every night now, there are burglars comming in the villas
and they are not effraid of dogs anymore since one was killed, from sat to sunday
and mine was badly wounded last night when I left my home for one hour

So please DO NOT leave any thing which they could use in your property
like : wooden, steel sticks, or brushes, or long things they could use on your solar,
I have iron grids at the windows, but they push up the glasses, and steal everything
You have yo know, that in Juan Dolio there are many small villages inside, some are full of cheap people working in the hundreds of buliding site...
and last but not least....
40 young police officers are training in the street of juan dolio... at daylight
I heard they were never visited at night...
and they are only a couple of hundreds yards away from here...

I am visited for food every 8 or 15 days,
do I have to get a GUN?
to make my home like a Camp?
any info welcomed...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A Friend Of Mine Got Robbed A Few Years Ago In His House!

A guy came to the door with a big "Gift Basket" (VERY COMMON this time of year!) When the maid opened the door to let him in,Bingo! He pulled out his gun:bandit: and got "LOTS!" of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Our maid doesn't have a key! You can tell them all day long not to open the gate/door for anyone,but they will "IF" they have a key!! CCCCCCCCCC

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
everybody makes it sound like a war-zone...

Hi,

Y'all are starting to scare me with all these crime stories. I'm going to the DR in a few weeks to spend some time, should I bring a weapon? You know they kinda frown on stuff like that when going through the airports...;)

On the other hand maybe I should just go to Iraq instead, seems safer...:ermm:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
funckytown said:
Well
You know... in europe i was also robbed 3 times, heard lot of stories,

so , here or overthere...
I prefer to live here
so enjoy yourself

Two days ago a co-worker got robbed and beaten (put in the hospital) in broad daylight and crowded gas station in Washington DC. He was driving a government vehicle and stopped in to buy motor oil for the car that had a low oil light. So crime rate is everywhere.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We all know that there is crime everywhere. The intent, I believe, here is to make people a little more cautious this time of year. It isn't a competition.......LOL

kzzk

Dec 17, 2005
December Crime

Yeah, I agree, Planner. December is the time, as I remember a former supervisor saying, when certain people need to "increase their income." That's true everywhere, whether I'm in my native Washington Heights/Inwood, my job in the South Bronx, or on vacation next week in DR!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes it IS bad in Juan Dolio........

we were warned the very first day we arrived that the ladrones were out in full force.

funckytown....where are you in Juan Dolio? Send me a PM please and we'll get together......

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A deeply-rooted custom in the DR is to 'estrenar', that is, to wear new clothes and shoes for the Christmas holidays. Even those people who normally only can afford used clothes will feel pressed to find the means and resources needed to break in new clothes for the holidays. The social pressure is so great that it could even drive certain people to crime, like a drug adict for a fix.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Missing suv

Good news for a change. I had posted last week on this thread about a stolen suv in POP. Well the perpatrator has benn nabbed. The Honda CRV had been in the shop getting repainted but somebody swiped it a couple days later.
Turns out one of the always helpful attentants made a copy of the key and made off in the dark of night. A little nosein around at the body shop and somebody sang.
Case closed.