Quality of DR Vehicles

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Folks, I would like to piggy-back on an existing thread about the shipment of vehicles to the DR and take it just a bit further. I assume that the process for buying a vehicle in the DR is simpler and smoother than shipping a vehicle there. However, it raised a question in my mind about the quality of the vehicles there. I noticed when I was in the DR in November and took a look around at some of the dealerships in POP, it seemed that every vehicle I saw for sale had bald tires. I happened to stop by on a day when the dealerships were closed, so I didn't have an opportunity to test drive one (if, in fact, test drives are allowed) and wondered what else would be lacking in the vehicles that might be considered typical. Maybe a better question would be "what is the typical condition of most of the vehicles sold, i.e., bald tires, high mileage, etc". Thanks for any input you can offer.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
All depends on the dealer and your budget.
In Santo Domingo it ranges from Porsche/Ferrari dealers to complete junk shops and everything else in between.

Make sure you CarFax a car that's just a few years old. When I was looking to get a jeep a year or so ago I checked out 4-5 Toyota Rav 4's (2002-2003 models) and all of these had been chopped. One was an excellent job, very hard to tell it had been chopped, but a trace on the VIN # revealed 3 previous owners and was a classed as a wreck in Tampa.

I have also seen plenty of flooded or storm damaged cars here.
Rusting seat runners or corrosion on seat mounts and bolts on the inside are classic signs.

My advice is take your time and buy a car that has a very well documented history or you know the current owner, so you know it's history.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jackquontee said:
Maybe a better question would be "what is the typical condition of most of the vehicles sold, i.e., bald tires, high mileage, etc".
I would ignore the odometer reading.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Gentlemen, thank you for your advice.

Robert, I, too, had thought about using CarFax, especially in light of the hurricanes in the US recently and the expectation that many of those vehicles will end up in the DR, among a number of other places. As you know, many of us who want to have a vehicle there struggle with the question of buying versus shipping. Do we endure the hassle and frustration of shipping, or do we gamble and buy, and risk ending up with a piece of junk. I guess with doing the proper homework, the risk is minimal. Again, thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We buy our vehicles in Moca from a dealer who knows us well, and lends us the vehicle for 1 day, to test it out, then we take it to a British mechanic, here in Sosua, and he inspects the car, including hooking up to the computer, in case somebody has fiddled around with anything, like mileage, or whatever.
The folowing day, we return with the car and either buy it or return it, no charge, except the gas and the time wasted.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Rocky said:
We buy our vehicles in Moca from a dealer who knows us well, and lends us the vehicle for 1 day, to test it out, then we take it to a British mechanic, here in Sosua, and he inspects the car, including hooking up to the computer, in case somebody has fiddled around with anything, like mileage, or whatever.
The folowing day, we return with the car and either buy it or return it, no charge, except the gas and the time wasted.

Hi Rocky

How far is Moca from Sosua?

I will be looking to buy a car in the new year....possibly a VW Golf and am also concerned about buying a car which has a shady history.

If you can recommend this dealer then I would be interested in going to take a look. Any further details would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Daydream

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Odometer ,Especially on "US" Imports Suspect!!!!

Several years ago while looking for a used vehicle for my wife,I went to a guys house who had 3 Toyota Corollas for sale.They had just arrived from the USA.All 3 had between 65,and 75 thousand miles on the odometer, and were about 6 years old at the time.I sat in a really "Cherry" one."Not bad ",I thought,"Only 70 thousand miles!" As I looked at the upper left hand corner of the front windshield,I saw the tiny sticker from "Jiffylube".It read: "Next oil change due at 303,000 miles,:bandit: or 3 months,whichever comes first!"
The guy,being Dominican,NEVER missed a beat when I showed him the sticker! He just reached in,and peeled it away! Then he went to check the other two vehicles!!

"What A Country!" CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
CAR FAX is a must. 99% of official dealers and street dealers import and sell "salvaged" cars. That is all they sell. It can be very difficult to find a used vehicle that has not been wrecked.

Rest assured that you will be lied to a lot.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Criss, although this is one hell of a funny story, I guess it pays at times to deal with someone who isn't too bright. LOL.

Rocky, I was told by one of your good friends there in Sosua that he would assist me in going to Moca and, I'm willing to now bet, to the place you've mentioned. I'll be in town at the end of the month and maybe I'll stop in to see you for further information. I'll be alone this time, so I'll have greater control over my itinerary.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Robert said:
Buy a Japanese car. Have you considered the cost of owning a VW here?

Hi Robert

Yes that thought has crossed my mind - I was going to look into costs of parts etc a bit more when I am back at Christmas.

If its not worth it then I will look at another make...I kind of had my heart set on a Golf but realistically speaking, if the costs are a great deal more then I know it would be stupid and buying a Toyota or something along those lines would be much more sensible! :classic:

Thank you
Daydream

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
daydream said:
Hi Robert

Yes that thought has crossed my mind - I was going to look into costs of parts etc a bit more when I am back at Christmas.

If its not worth it then I will look at another make...I kind of had my heart set on a Golf but realistically speaking, if the costs are a great deal more then I know it would be stupid and buying a Toyota or something along those lines would be much more sensible! :classic:

Thank you
Daydream

If I were you I would follow Robert's advise. Anything non-Japanese is a pain in the behind to maintain as parts are not always available. When it's my time to buy I'm definately buying Japanese (either toyota or mitsu). Parts always available.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
daydream said:
Hi Rocky

How far is Moca from Sosua?

I will be looking to buy a car in the new year....possibly a VW Golf and am also concerned about buying a car which has a shady history.

If you can recommend this dealer then I would be interested in going to take a look. Any further details would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Daydream
Moca is less than 70 kilometers from Sosua, but it takes a bit over an hour to get there, as we go through twisty mountain roads to get there.
I would be glad to go with you.
This is the deal... I have been dealing with them for 12 or 13 years, and my friends and I have purchased well over 100 cars from them.That being said, I have, more than once, had friends phone me up from the dealer, mystified as to why they would not lend them the car they were thinking of buying.
It's not a standard service and they know that I hold myself accountable for the safe return of the vehicle.
Pay for my gas and buy me a lunch at Rancho La Cumbre, overlooking the Cibao valley, and I'm your man.
I love going through those mountains and need to escape my daily routine here at Rocky's.
In another reply, Robert mentions forgetting the VW and buying a Jap car.
This is the best advice given, to date.
There are countless reasons, but, suffice to say, you will be happiuer if you follow that advice.
Regards, Marco.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Rocky said:
Moca is less than 70 kilometers from Sosua, but it takes a bit over an hour to get there, as we go through twisty mountain roads to get there.
I would be glad to go with you.
This is the deal... I have been dealing with them for 12 or 13 years, and my friends and I have purchased well over 100 cars from them.That being said, I have, more than once, had friends phone me up from the dealer, mystified as to why they would not lend them the car they were thinking of buying.
It's not a standard service and they know that I hold myself accountable for the safe return of the vehicle.
Pay for my gas and buy me a lunch at Rancho La Cumbre, overlooking the Cibao valley, and I'm your man.
I love going through those mountains and need to escape my daily routine here at Rocky's.
In another reply, Robert mentions forgetting the VW and buying a Jap car.
This is the best advice given, to date.
There are countless reasons, but, suffice to say, you will be happiuer if you follow that advice.
Regards, Marco.

Hi Marco

Thank you for your kind offer - I will definitely take you up on that!

I will get in touch nearer the time (looking to purchase the car in Feb) and I will try and pop into Rocky's when I am over for a week at Christmas.

As for getting a VW - I know you are (all) right - I should stick to a japanese make and I think I have finally been talked around!

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Daydream.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
daydream said:
Hi Marco

Thank you for your kind offer - I will definitely take you up on that!

I will get in touch nearer the time (looking to purchase the car in Feb) and I will try and pop into Rocky's when I am over for a week at Christmas.

As for getting a VW - I know you are (all) right - I should stick to a japanese make and I think I have finally been talked around!

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Daydream.
Anytime..
Glad to hear you're going Jap.
It will pay off in the long run.
Regards, Marco.