Environmental Education - Is There Any?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I would like to hear from all the DR1ers currently teaching in Dominican schools (whether public or private), or have kids in school in the DR.

Are your kids getting any semblance of environmental education?

The framework environment law adopted in 2000, Law 64-00, calls for it. As far as I can determine, Hipolito's Administration did little to implement the provisions. [If there are Hippo defenders who can point to concrete steps (an actual plan, program or curriculum) taken to the contrary by the prior Administation, I'd be interested to hear. Otherwise, spare us the propaganda.]

The Fernandez Administration claims to be doing something. Witness the following press release from the Environment Ministry in late August:

Proyecto educativo busca integrar
el desarrollo sostenible con el humano
24 de Agosto del 2005

"Bienvenidos a la Escuela por un Ambiente Sano" est? dirigido a estudiantes de niveles inicial, b?sico y medio, docentes y la comunidad

Con un programa piloto que busca articular la gesti?n ambiental con la poblaci?n estudiantil, la Secretar?a de Estado de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales y los centros docentes dieron la bienvenida a los estudiantes que regresan a las aulas para el nuevo a?o escolar.

El programa "Bienvenidos a la Escuela por un Ambiente Sano" ofrece a los estudiantes de nivel inicial, b?sico y medio, a los docentes y comunitarios la oportunidad para aunar voluntades y coordinar acciones tendentes a crear las condiciones para mantener un ambiente sano, tanto en las escuelas y colegios, como en los hogares y la comunidad.

Iniciado en el anterior a?o lectivo en tres escuelas del Distrito Nacional, el programa piloto ser? implementado esta vez en cinco escuelas y colegios, a fin de conformar en los mismos "los clubes defensores del ambiente", con estudiantes de nivel b?sico y "Ventanitas Ecol?gicas", con el nivel inicial.

"A trav?s de estos programas se podr?n ejecutar acciones conjuntas entre la familia, la escuela y el resto de la comunidad, lo que permitir? una integraci?n en la que todos sean part?cipes directos de cambios positivos en sus formas de vida, para disfrutar de un ambiente sano y por tanto mejor nivel de salud", dijo Martha P?rez, subsecretaria de Educaci?n e Informaci?n Ambiental.

Se?al? que estos programas podr?n complementarse con los clubes escolares que auspicia en todas las escuelas la Secretar?a de Estado de Educaci?n y de esta forma fortalecer el acuerdo interinstitucional suscrito entre ambas entidades.

El programa es una herramienta educativa para estimular el respeto y amor al medio ambiente y los recursos naturales y una respuesta a las necesidades de desarrollo sostenible del pa?s y el desarrollo humano, como aspecto fundamental, indic? P?rez.

"La educaci?n y el cuidado del medio ambiente y los recursos naturales es responsabilidad de todos", dijo.

What I want to know is any of this getting into your kids' classrooms yet?

I'd also welcome ideas on just what should be in an environmental education component of the curriculum for the various levels (grade, middle, high, college) in the DR, and how it might best be taught in the Dominican context.

The floor is open. ;)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
My son is in the third grade and attends a public school here in El Seybo. I take a very active role in his homework and I have reviewed his school books, of the few that he has, from cover to cover and can honestly say that he is learning nothing truly useful concerning environmental education.

They teach basics such as how plants depend on sunlight and water to survive but any reference as to what anyone and everyone needs to do to help the enviornment in any of its facets is not being taught in this area of the DR.

Rick

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hmm, for fear of appearing cynical:

Nice projects with brightly coloured paintings of the planet with earnest messages about protecting the environment - OFTEN.

Translating those messages into personal responsibility or linking them to everyday behaviour - HARDLY EVER

In the private school next door to where we used to live, there were no litter bins in the schoolyard and children just threw their drinks cartons and snack packets on the ground, for the sweeper to collect after they'd all gone home. I'm willing to bet any amount that at least one of the classrooms has pretty pictures on the wall about saving the planet. Just one example.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks, Rick. My guess is that, as they seem to do with all new programs in the DR, they are starting with the capital and perhaps Santiago and then slowly (oh-so-slowly) fanning out to the other provinces.

But given the clear need for it, and the fact that it's been five years now since the law was passed, I think that they really should pick up the pace.

Let me ask you, if you were teaching a third grader in the DR like your son, what concepts about the environment do you think he should be introduced to, and how would you do so?

I recall, for example, when my son was in fourth grade and had to do a science fair project, after examining a number of books about science fair ideas recommended by the teacher, to my surprise he picked one about decomposition of materials. He took a bunch of common materials -- different grades of paper, glass, cardboard, plastic, wood (from a pencil), metal (bottle tops, paper clips), styrofoam, etc. -- noted their condition, size, composition, etc., then buried them in damp earth for 60 days. He dug them up at midpoint (30 days) and examined and noted any changes, and did the same at endpoint (60). He was surprised at how little things had changed (except for the paper). In his presentation to class he talked about what this meant it was all the more important for us not to litter, and the need to reuse & recycle certain materials, and which ones might be possible to compost. As he said when it was all over, "Dad, now I understand why you are so worked up about how we handle our wastes."

A hands-on lesson, as it were. And as with most boys, he enjoyed getting his hands in wet dirt! LOL

Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chirimoya said:
Hmm, for fear of appearing cynical:

Nice projects with brightly coloured paintings of the planet with earnest messages about protecting the environment - OFTEN.

Translating those messages into personal responsibility or linking them to everyday behaviour - HARDLY EVER

In the private school next door to where we used to live, there were no litter bins in the schoolyard and children just threw their drinks cartons and snack packets on the ground, for the sweeper to collect after they'd all gone home. I'm willing to bet any amount that at least one of the classrooms has pretty pictures on the wall about saving the planet. Just one example.
I know what you mean. I saw the same thing happening when my kids attended Montessori school in SD.

I've often wondered if it might change things for the kids if they as a class project went to clean up a plaza or street or mini-park near their school. I would love it if someone like Bon sponsored a contest among all the public schools, where the top classes cleaning up some area around their school got a recognition plaque and a voucher for all the class members and the teacher for a free ice cream at Bon. Just a thought.

Let me ask you Chiri -- how would you translate the messages into personal responsibility if you were one of their teachers?

Regards,
Keith

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I used to do this all the time when I was with Friends of the Earth. We used to go into schools and speak to the children, and depending on the age group we would do not-too-subtle stuff like brainstorm what they do in their everyday lives that is helpful or harmful to the environment, and the discussion would follow on from there, ending up with a list of action points. We also used to work with the teachers, who were a very enthusiastic constituency.

Getting children involved in clean-up campaigns is an excellent idea. Trouble is, so many of them grow up without being required to lift a finger in their own homes, it's going to be difficult to get them to get their hands dirty outdoors.

Having said that, there is a schools community service programme in the DR, I can't remember what it's called but I once spoke to a group of teenagers who were part of this, collecting litter in the Botanical Gardens.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I have taught in two private schools in SD. They get lots of classes and projects on macro subjects like "Global Warming" and "World Poverty" etc. etc. but very little on Micro issues like basic sanitation and personal responsibility.

It is amazing to see the messes that kids will leave behind for others to clean up after them. Kids in the states can be little pigs too but the four high schools I worked at in Boston did not compare to here. They are used to having someone wait on them from a very young age. They also rarely see their parents lift a finger because everyone has a maid. I think even my maid has a maid.

At the school I teach at now we are frustrated about how to solve the problem or at least improve it. I personally take a lot of time to do my part. Sometimes they don't like it but I could care less. This is the last week of classes before Xmas and usually if kids are good we do something fun. One of my classes today left my room dirty. On Thursday we are having a "cleaning party". They will mop the floors and scrub my tables. Bah humbug!

Scandall

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chiri, how difficult would it be to train others to do what you used to do for Friends of the Earth? I mean, could you for example teach willing DR1ers how to go to schools and do that effectively? Not only the schools of their kids and schools that they teach at (I recall that Scandall and some others on this board are teachers in the DR), but others in their community? What kind of training and resources would such an effort require?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Scandall, thanks for the input. I personally think (though I am no expert on pedagogy concerning environmental issues) that all that stuff on global issues is nice, but if you don't find some way to bring it down to the personal level in some way, it's a lost lesson on the student. That goes for students anywhere, not just in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are tons of resources for this on the web. Even in the pre-web dark ages when I did this sort of work organisations like FoE and others had plenty of good educational action packs and the like. These days you can access them at the click of a mouse. The difficult part would be where to start and where to stop.

It would take some research, and then the logistics of getting a group together of people who would be willing to do this. What about the schools end?

I'm game if others are!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Keith R said:
Scandall, thanks for the input. I personally think (though I am no expert on pedagogy concerning environmental issues) that all that stuff on global issues is nice, but if you don't find some way to bring it down to the personal level in some way, it's a lost lesson on the student. That goes for students anywhere, not just in the DR.

They can take an exam and explain the science behind the theories of global warming...the ozone layer...and more but will then get up from the exam table and leave their candy bar wrapper on the floor next to their chair.

Chiri: Schools might be game for something like that but where it is really needed is in the public school and neighborhoods (also a more daunting task). The kids in private schools may be litterbugs, which is bad form, but at the end of the day they employ people to clean up. The kids in public schools and the average neighborhoods litter and the trash just gets left there.

Dominicans need to be educated on the harm that trash does to the environment, public health and the economy. Who wants to go visit a nasty city with their hard earned vacation time?

Either way this is an uphill battle but a noble one.

Scandall

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chirimoya said:
There are tons of resources for this on the web. Even in the pre-web dark ages when I did this sort of work organisations like FoE and others had plenty of good educational action packs and the like. These days you can access them at the click of a mouse. The difficult part would be where to start and where to stop.

It would take some research, and then the logistics of getting a group together of people who would be willing to do this. What about the schools end?

I'm game if others are!
Well, I'm just wondering if we can put together a group of interested DR1ers, and you could pull together the resources they could use and help train/advise them, maybe a volunteer corps of sorts could be introduced to this Martha P?rez, the Subsecretary for Environmental Education, and get her help in getting into the schools, getting into contact with interested teachers. Jaime may know her; I'll ask. We could make this a Green Team endeavor, or just keep it DR1, or approach groups like Educa and the Dream Project about partnering. Just musing stream-of-conscious aloud here...

At the very least, there may be DR1ers like Rick and Scandall out there who want to do something on this, but could use counsel, feedback, materials, ideas etc in doing so in their own schools. Start small, but think big.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As a very tentative first step, how about asking parents reading this to go into their own children's schools and talk to the teachers and/or the children?

I volunteer to put together a list of ideas for discussion topics and activities/games which I would provide on request if people send me a PM. Please provide details of age group, area etc.

How about that?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chirimoya said:
As a very tentative first step, how about asking parents reading this to go into their own children's schools and talk to the teachers and/or the children?

I volunteer to put together a list of ideas for discussion topics and activities/games which I would provide on request if people send me a PM. Please provide details of age group, area etc.

How about that?
It's a start, and often the important thing is to start.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Keith R,
To answer your question that you addressed to me, "Let me ask you, if you were teaching a third grader in the DR like your son, what concepts about the environment do you think he should be introduced to, and how would you do so?"

With the experience that I have with the Dominican people I think that I would introduce at some point the role that rats, coachroaches, flies and other insects and animals play in the spread of disease and illnesses. I would then tie this in with what those living bodies need to survive and how litter only serves to reinforce their habitat. This in conjunction with looking better would, I think, give another reason to clean up after oneself.

Your example of that project that your son took part in is a very good example of that which would work here but the possibility of that happening here are slim to never. The teachings in the classroom are all well and good but the actual hands on experience is the best tool for training or teaching.

If I had the power I would also incorporate a class of health and hygiene. The teaching of germs and organisms and how they are spread. The importance of covering the mouth for a cough or sneeze. The importance of washing the hands and the role that touching plays in the spread of orgamisms. The organisms that are prevalent in the Dominican water and the role that these organisms play in the lives of the people here. The things that a student can do to help insure that these harmful germs and organisms don't get a foothold to affect the lives of themselves or their families.

There are many things that could be done but I have listed these because these are important and the Dominicans don't seem to get much education in this field. People here do not seem to know what causes a cold or how it is spread or what to do to help avoid getting one. Their wonderful custom of greeting is all well and good until the person with a cold wipes their nose with their hand then sees you and says buenas dias and offers their hand to you.. A person with health education carries a handkerchief and uses it.

I mention health and hygiene because it is intergrated into enviornment and is an important part thereof.

Rick

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Rick Snyder said:
Keith R,
To answer your question that you addressed to me, "Let me ask you, if you were teaching a third grader in the DR like your son, what concepts about the environment do you think he should be introduced to, and how would you do so?"

With the experience that I have with the Dominican people I think that I would introduce at some point the role that rats, coachroaches, flies and other insects and animals play in the spread of disease and illnesses. I would then tie this in with what those living bodies need to survive and how litter only serves to reinforce their habitat. This in conjunction with looking better would, I think, give another reason to clean up after oneself.

Your example of that project that your son took part in is a very good example of that which would work here but the possibility of that happening here are slim to never. The teachings in the classroom are all well and good but the actual hands on experience is the best tool for training or teaching.

If I had the power I would also incorporate a class of health and hygiene. The teaching of germs and organisms and how they are spread. The importance of covering the mouth for a cough or sneeze. The importance of washing the hands and the role that touching plays in the spread of orgamisms. The organisms that are prevalent in the Dominican water and the role that these organisms play in the lives of the people here. The things that a student can do to help insure that these harmful germs and organisms don't get a foothold to affect the lives of themselves or their families.

There are many things that could be done but I have listed these because these are important and the Dominicans don't seem to get much education in this field. People here do not seem to know what causes a cold or how it is spread or what to do to help avoid getting one. Their wonderful custom of greeting is all well and good until the person with a cold wipes their nose with their hand then sees you and says buenas dias and offers their hand to you.. A person with health education carries a handkerchief and uses it.

I mention health and hygiene because it is intergrated into enviornment and is an important part thereof.

Rick

Great lesson plan outline, Rick.

But many adults here need it. Not just the third graders. Sad but true.

It is nice to hear people talking about actually doing something instead of just "bitching" about things.

I would stay away from private school. The kids in those schools make up only a small %age of the population. The public schools and barrios are who need it most.

Scandall

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Scandall what you said is very true. The adults do in fact need the education also. The hope and desire of teaching the children is that they will take that which they have learned home with them and maybe teach their parents. Teaching the parents is very difficult but with school children you have a captive audience.

I stress in my English classes that the children need to use the language and greet their parents with"good morning" instesd of buenos dias as a form of practice and as a teaching aid for their parents.

Rick

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I've seen plenty of examples of the kids changing their parents' habits for the better, in the US, DR, Brazil and Mexico. Something about having your young one look you in the eye and ask why you're killing yourself with that cigarette, or messing up the environment by littering, or putting all in the car at risk by not buckling your seatbelt or putting the cell phone down... that breaks through to many (not all) parents. Most of us parents want to be considered good role models by our children, not bad.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Many years ago, I was asked to help a small community in Midwestern Venezuela. A seven year drought had destroyed the main livelihood of the inhabitants, agriculture and cattle raising. As a recourse for survival, the community turned to traditional craft as a source of income, hammock making. Practically all the men of the village had left, and over four hundred women, including young children, worked feverishly from dawn to dusk on rustic looms tied to the outside walls of their huts. With the timing of clockwork, one or two trucks would drive the fifty or so kilometers of dirt road to the village, and exchange the finished hammocks for foodstuff and colored thread, enough for a weeks production and to keep the women fed. The exploitative situation was obvious, the solution was not easy. I gathered a multi-institutional team to tackle the problem. After deciding that the women had to be organized in an association, we chose an appropriate legal form, an ?empresa campesina?, which is organized much like a corporation but with direct public supervision. In order to break the natural suspicion and distrust of the villagers, we used the popular local parish priest. In order to explain the workings of a corporation and the responsibilities of it?s shareholders we used something called a psychodrama, a series of staged dramatic skits, where the women would participate as actors and weave their own personal predicament with the characters of the play. It worked. The company obtained state financing, bought their own transportation, and directly marketed their hammocks for a profit.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:
Many years ago, I was asked to help a small community in Midwestern Venezuela. A seven year drought had destroyed the main livelihood of the inhabitants, agriculture and cattle raising. As a recourse for survival, the community turned to traditional craft as a source of income, hammock making. Practically all the men of the village had left, and over four hundred women, including young children, worked feverishly from dawn to dusk on rustic looms tied to the outside walls of their huts. With the timing of clockwork, one or two trucks would drive the fifty or so kilometers of dirt road to the village, and exchange the finished hammocks for foodstuff and colored thread, enough for a weeks production and to keep the women fed. The exploitative situation was obvious, the solution was not easy. I gathered a multi-institutional team to tackle the problem. After deciding that the women had to be organized in an association, we chose an appropriate legal form, an ?empresa campesina?, which is organized much like a corporation but with direct public supervision. In order to break the natural suspicion and distrust of the villagers, we used the popular local parish priest. In order to explain the workings of a corporation and the responsibilities of it?s shareholders we used something called a psychodrama, a series of staged dramatic skits, where the women would participate as actors and weave their own personal predicament with the characters of the play. It worked. The company obtained state financing, bought their own transportation, and directly marketed their hammocks for a profit.

After all this time, Mirador shows his true colors!

Capitalist Pig!

:) :) Just kidding. Nice work.

Scandall