Flying into Punta Cana...how to get to Sosua?

A

apostropheman

I may fly into Punta Cana during xmas and will need to get to Sosua...inexpensively :)

My flight would land in PC well after 9:00pm so i suspect i'll need to spend the night in PC so a recommendation for a hotel or cabana would also help.

Can someone kindly enlighten me about bus service from PC to Sosua.
Might going from PC to Santo Domingo then Sosua make it easier?

I've been searching for clues here but coming up empty.
i realise that some will think it's ridiculous but that's okay...any help appriciated.

A

apostropheman

Thanks ROCKY!

I knew there had to be a flight available somehow.
i'll look into it. :)

A

apostropheman

I'm still curious about how to get to Sosua on the bus.

not sure but it doesn't look like Caribe Tours goes to PC atleast their online schedule does not show it.

Does the Metro bus service have a website...i haven't found it yet.

thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just curious: How can it possible be cheaper to fly into PJU??

I mean (1) Overnight in Punta Cana (2) Small charter flight to POP????

That has to cost at least close to $200?? Is there that much difference in plane tickets to POP or STI??? I mean , it's only a $50 or $60 dollar taxi ride to Sos?a from STI and maybe $15 from the POP airport to Sos?a????

This is curiouser and curiouser....

HB ???????????

RE: Bus service....none from there to Santo Domingo at that hour....If you search this site there are precise directions for getting from PJU to Santo Domingo and from Sto Dgo to Sos?a by bus...Takes a day

And no, neither Metro or Caribe Tours isallowed by the syndicates to service that end of the country..

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
apostropheman said:
i realise that some will think it's ridiculous but that's okay...any help appriciated.
I suppose it depends on how much you can save.
I find the 3.5 hour direct flight long enough.
Are you also driving from Ottawa to the US and back for your flight?

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Not sure where the Ottawa part came from but

It may appear difficult to get a direct flight from Ottawa to POP but the company Go Travel Direct has em on Fridays and they don't gouge on the "taxes" currently about $569 CDN check it out http://www.gotraveldirect.com/
Gerry in Ottawa

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hillbilly said:

That has to cost at least close to $200?? Is there that much difference in plane tickets to POP or STI??? I mean , it's only a $50 or $60 dollar taxi ride to Sos?a from STI and maybe $15 from the POP airport to Sos?a????

Considering what Hillbilly has said would there be a cost savings? Not to mention the amount of wasted vacation time.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I wouldn't advise going on the bus from PC to Sosua. You would have to do PC to Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo - Santiago. Santiago - Sosua.

Believe me it is no fun. In 2003 I posted here questioning on how to get from Santiago to PC driving my own vehicle and taking the bus. HB and PJT gave me the run down on this. I opted for the bus and regret it. The ride going was about 8 hours. Coming back it seemed longer. More like 9. And that was only to Santiago.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is a bus service, Apostrophe man.
The whole deal takes approx 8 to 9 hours.
I will research it later.
I'm on my way to POP now to buy the first batch of Christmas presents for the New Year's Bash, and everybody's waiting for me.
I will get back to you later on with the details.
Regards, Marco.

A

apostropheman

Thank HB

Hillbilly said:

This is curiouser and curiouser....

HB ???????????

RE: Bus service....none from there to Santo Domingo at that hour....If you search this site there are precise directions for getting from PJU to Santo Domingo and from Sto Dgo to Sos?a by bus...Takes a day

And no, neither Metro or Caribe Tours isallowed by the syndicates to service that end of the country..

...just call me alice

I deceided spur of the moment that i could afford to be away from work over xmas but wanted to see my family here before i left. that means ideally leaving for the DR on the 26th and returning on the 2nd. the only flight i found under $1000 CAN is this one to PC and it's under $600 CAD. most others are about $1200. there is almost no availability for the dates i need at any price. it's not just about the cost.

apparantly at one time you could get a flight, from SD i think for about $50-60 and now it's more like $89. From PC to POP $119. these prices are one way. so that's out.

i have no issue with a night in PC and a day on the bus. not for everyone but part of the experience for me. I've never been to the eastern end of the DR and wouldn't mind exploring as i go. I don't consider this wasted time at all.
I'd leave Sosua on the 1st and bus back to SD and then PC for the return flight on the second. I'll be hungover and exhauseted anyway so sleeping on the bus almost sounds appealing.

i'll continue my research for the precise directions to and from for the bus.
new years at Rocky's is special to me and i love a little challenge.

A

apostropheman

Thanks Gerry

ggparts said:
It may appear difficult to get a direct flight from Ottawa to POP but the company Go Travel Direct has em on Fridays and they don't gouge on the "taxes" currently about $569 CDN check it out http://www.gotraveldirect.com/
Gerry in Ottawa

i checked the site and unfortunately there is nothing available for the 26th. i've bookmarked it for the future.

A

apostropheman

Thanks Rocky!

Rocky said:
There is a bus service, Apostrophe man.
The whole deal takes approx 8 to 9 hours.
I will research it later.
I'm on my way to POP now to buy the first batch of Christmas presents for the New Year's Bash, and everybody's waiting for me.
I will get back to you later on with the details.
Regards, Marco.

i'd appriciate any help you can offer...as always

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
apostropheman said:
I'll be hungover and exhauseted anyway so sleeping on the bus almost sounds appealing.

I can understand that;) Rocky seems to be the go to man.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How much would it cost for you to fly into EWR. EWR usually has flights to STI and POP for less than $400 USD.

A

apostropheman

Rocky said:
There is a bus from PC to Santo Domingo at http://bocachicabeach.net//images/misc/bus_santo_domingo_punta_cana.jpg
And then a $4 taxi ride to Caribe Tour bus station, then the busses for Sosua leave at
6:00 7:00 8:00 9:00 10:00 11:00 AM & 12:00 1:00 2:00 3:00 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:00 PM.

thanks Rocky!

that's what i'm looking for.

all i need to do now is find a "Rocky's" in PC
or better yet in Higuey and i'm all set!

the search continues :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A'man: I can understand the reason. So please let us know how it goes...

Fingers crossed you can get a flt to Newark then STI...:p:p

HB:D:D

A

apostropheman

Hillbilly said:
A'man: I can understand the reason. So please let us know how it goes...

Fingers crossed you can get a flt to Newark then STI...:p:p

HB:D:D

i love your sense of humour....gotta meet one of these trips :)

except for the delays, coming AND going, last trip was great!

i'm doing it again end of january.

over xmas the flights are...sky high;)