Whats the law in the DR?

Baby Girl

Sep 23, 2005
Im new to most of the topics on this forum and this may have very well been asked and answered already before,

I have been trying to read up on the DR culture and life. This forum has been very interesting on answering questions that I have had.

I was wondering, what laws there are to govern drug use .....
How popular drugs are, what happens if caught with them...etc...??
Can somebody please clear that up for me
Thanks

*Baby Girl

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The responds you will get is. Forget it, don't even mention the word it to anyone. Prisons in the DR are pure hell. You have no rights when it comes to drugs of any amount.

Even though I've read that there is more drug use than before I don't think the laws have changed.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Baby Girl said:
Im new to most of the topics on this forum and this may have very well been asked and answered already before,

I have been trying to read up on the DR culture and life. This forum has been very interesting on answering questions that I have had.

I was wondering, what laws there are to govern drug use .....
How popular drugs are, what happens if caught with them...etc...??
Can somebody please clear that up for me
Thanks

*Baby Girl
If you are caught with illegal drugs, kiss your life good bye.

Oh, and don't think that being a foreigner would be different, because there was a Puertorican woman (who obviously has American citizenship, etc) who got caught attempting the leave the country with some illegal drugs and she spent a good number of years in a jail cell in Higuey, JUST WAITING FOR HER TRIAL!

She even got sick and was hospitalized for a while.

I forgot her name.

In short, drugs and DR don't mix too well. It's one of the few things authorities will not get deterred from enforcing.

Oh, they will take your bribe, but don't expect them to let you go.

-NAL

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Are drugs available? Yes. The DR has plenty of coke and crack heads.
It's a popular transshipment country, so it filters down.
In some poor barrios it's a big problem, just like in many poor countries.
If your willing to venture into certain barrios, your find drugs.

But be warned...

Most foreigners in jail here are in for drug offenses.
1 joint is going to put you away. That is unless you have very deep pockets, we are talking thousands of US$ deep. Plus you can expect to spend many months in jail before you get to see a judge.

Oh by the way, the prisons here are hell holes. They do not feed you, so you have to rely on friends brining you food or doing "favors" for those up the food chain.

Baby Girl

Sep 23, 2005
Just to clear something up .... Im not asking because Im planning on going to the DR and taking drugs with me or finding them down there.....:rambo:
I was just wondering how common drug use was.... in comparison to say Canada or the US or other countries.....

I didnt see anything in this forum really about that topic so I was just wondering ....;)

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Baby Girl said:
Just to clear something up .... Im not asking because Im planning on going to the DR and taking drugs with me or finding them down there.....:rambo:
I was just wondering how common drug use was.... in comparison to say Canada or the US or other countries.....

I didnt see anything in this forum really about that topic so I was just wondering ....;)

Well it's (casual drug use) not something you'll see walking around (someone smoking a joint on the corner, at a coffee shop, driving around) like you'll sometimes come across in Canada or the states. In 10 yrs of living in this country I have yet to come across anyone who even admits to smoking mary, much less actually smoking it in public.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
It is not as open as it is in the States or in the Canada - not something that would come into casual conversation.

Drug use has increased over the past 12 years (probably longer but this is from my experience)
12 years ago (Balaguer era) - you would not even mention it for the fear that someone would turn you into the DNCD (DEA). It was not popoular and in fact it was looked down upon by the majority

Now adays it is more common with the number of dominicans coming from the states, and the influence of the european party drug culture. You still would not want to talk about it with comlete strangers, however there are ways to get almost anything.

The one thing that has not changed is the way the DNCD treats the offenders, if you are accused of running drugs or selling them they will take over your property (literally) they will move into your house spray paint it with DNCD so everyone knows what you were doing and use your cars - you won't be able to get it back unless you have alot of loot. If your are a foreigner and caught you will be hauled to the jail, not pleasent, and hotel rooms are not free zones, if you smoke up or snort up in your room and the hotel knows you will be caught. Sankies are also a good way to get caught, they can show you how to get it, but then bribe you so they won't turnyou in.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
A woman that used to work with me in POP, no names mentioned but it's common knowledge around here, was arrested back in July.

She was basically a mule for some drug dealers down in Santo Domingo.

Stupid woman.

She was in jail down there until last month. I'm not really sure why but instead of throwing away the key, they deported her back to the US. She's back in Boston now and I don't know anything else.

I've heard stories of people being locked up for 5 years because they got caught with one joint but I don't know if there's any truth in that or not.

Last month, I went down to the police station by Central Park which basically serves as a holding cell because I had to speak with my BF. When I went to use the restroom, I nearly tripped over a blonde woman, laying on a mattress and chained to a passola.

She was so out of it, it was not even funny.

I tried to ask her if she was okay (basically I was just being nosy) but she didn't speak English.

I asked my BF what was up and he said that she was German and had been caught in POP with over 500 ecstasy pills.

Another stupid woman.

Bottom line: don't do anything that would ever give you a reason to find out the answer to your questions.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Anna Coniglio said:
The responds you will get is. Forget it, don't even mention the word it to anyone. Prisons in the DR are pure hell. You have no rights when it comes to drugs of any amount.

Even though I've read that there is more drug use than before I don't think the laws have changed.

Anna is 100% correct. Don't do it here. But especially don't even talk about it. It is the last thing I would ever do in this country. There are a million other ways to have fun.

Scandall

Baby Girl

Sep 23, 2005
Thanks everyone for ur replies ....

I was just thinking how it compares to Canada and I guess its nowhere near it.... I mean here we have grown adults (some who are 50 or older) lighting up joints wherever they go and not caring who sees them.
Then the teenagers of course..... Do it all the time. I was just wondering if its like that there but seems to me its not.....
But then again, in Canada if you are caught with a small amount of it, depending on the cop u may get off. I mean I had an aquantance who was caught with what i would call a large amount and he pretty much got a slap on the wrist..... was made to dump it out and was let go ......:ermm:

I know in some other caribbean countries it is accepted, and drugs are very common, but I guess the DR is completely on the other end of the spectrum.... which was a shock to me

The first time I ever went to the DR when I was 15, one of the resort workers jept bothering me and my brother all week, trying to get us to buy weed off of him, we didnt but he became very persistent until finally one of the locals I had met there talked to the guy and got him to stop hounding us.

Do you think maybe he was doing to get something from us in the long run .... like money for bribes and stuff

I never thought drugs were looked down upon so much in the DR. But hey i guess you learn something new everyday ... thanks

*Baby Girl

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Baby Girl said:
The first time I ever went to the DR when I was 15, one of the resort workers jept bothering me and my brother all week, trying to get us to buy weed off of him, we didnt but he became very persistent until finally one of the locals I had met there talked to the guy and got him to stop hounding us.

Do you think maybe he was doing to get something from us in the long run .... like money for bribes and stuff

*Baby Girl

This is how a lot of the drug dealers here work:

They hound unsuspecting tourists to buy drugs, usually weed, because that seems to be a more universally accepted drug, as opposed to synthetic drugs.

The tourist buys the drugs.

The drug dealer promptly informs the nearest crooked cop/politur. Usually the politur are involved because they are required to speak some English and/or other foreign languages.

The tourist gets apprehended by the police/politur

If the tourist can cough up some major bucks, and we're not talking a few thousand pesos, then the incident is "forgotten" about and the tourist is free to go

If the tourist can't, or won't pay, off to jail with them

Either way, the crooked cop wins. He either gets a large sum of money or recognition and a gold star for "busting" someone. A lot of Dominicans are very egocentric so the chance to be the big man on campus for a day or two is almost as good as getting money. Almost.

And the drug dealer?

Nothing happens to him. Most of the local law enforcement will never hassle him when he is doing business with the locals because he brings so much "business" their way.

If you don't believe me, go hang around in Central Park in POP for a few hours one night.

Baby Girl

Sep 23, 2005
WOW
I cant believe that they do this on purpose... trying to get tourists to buy drugs to bribe them for money ..... thats bs (well I think so anyways)
Well I guess drugs and the DR dont mix at all ..... thats a good thing to kno (not that im planning on doing drugs or buying drugs down there) .... I have more fun just with the locals drinking a presedente .... drugs arent needed
But thanks for all the info guys

*Baby Girl

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Baby Girl said:
WOW
I cant believe that they do this on purpose... trying to get tourists to buy drugs to bribe them for money
Oldest trick in the book, certainly not a Dominican invention. I know several people who've been seriously screwed over this way in Morocco, to name just one other country where this is common.

As for the main question, from time to time I do catch that distinctive whiff while walking around places like the Zona Colonial, day and night, so it's there for those who are searching.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Baby Girl said:
WOW
I cant believe that they do this on purpose... trying to get tourists to buy drugs to bribe them for money ..... thats bs (well I think so anyways)
Well I guess drugs and the DR dont mix at all ..... thats a good thing to kno (not that im planning on doing drugs or buying drugs down there) .... I have more fun just with the locals drinking a presedente .... drugs arent needed
But thanks for all the info guys

*Baby Girl

Another word of caution~

Do not spend time or socialize with ANYONE who you even remotely suspect of being a drug user/dealer/pusher.

If they get arrested, guess who gets arrested right along with them?

It's different in this country...

you're guilty until proven innocent.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Thats very interesting. I had heard from many people of the seriousness of any form of illegal drugs in the DR.

I think its kind of ironic that a country that has such a high level of drunk driving takes drugs 1000 times more seriously. Also a country thats generally more free spirited and relaxed than the US...Are these tough laws fairly common in Carribean and Latin American countries to avoid becoming the next drug haven like Columbia?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
There are certain areas that the DR is more freespririted and relaxed than the US - however there are certain areas where they do not relax on.

Reasons may be attributed to not wanting to become another Medellin, other reason may be to stay in the good graces of the US, another one is to avoid the wide spread use of drugs and all the ailments that come with it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
sunshine_79 said:
Another word of caution~

Do not spend time or socialize with ANYONE who you even remotely suspect of being a drug user/dealer/pusher.

If they get arrested, guess who gets arrested right along with them?

It's different in this country...

you're guilty until proven innocent.
This country's law and legal system is based on the French Napoleonic Codes.

In countries like Brazil (I think), among others, the legal system is based on the Roman Civic Codes.

In countries like the US, Canada, Great Britain among others, its based on Common Laws.

One of the aspects of Napoleonic Codes is guilty until proven innocent in addition to a jury-free court system, which is not the case in US and many other countries.

There have been some modifications, but generally the French Napoleonic Codes still influences much of the legal system here.

-NAL

Last edited:

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
JDJones said:
Sunny, I was told last weekend that the woman we know that used to work with you is still in jail here, I think in Najayo. Where did you hear she went back to Boston?

From a couple of very reliable sources. She's lucky she is back home instead of rotting in a sh*tty Dominican jail.

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
I agree. Dont mention it. I was with a bunch of coked out dominicans last week in POP. I find theres quite a bit of weed now,especially in the tourst areas. The locals i was with was like,say nothing,dont mention it to anyone,dont say where you got it etc.. its definately not like canada.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
I don't live in the D.R. but can imagine

It being jailed in Turkey... like the movie midnight express.:cry: :cry: :cry: