Were u educated in the US or in the DR?

Lovelylocs

Mar 4, 2005
If u were educated in the DR, do u feel like u recieved a decent education? How do u feel about the dominican education system? Can most of your relatives read and write well? On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the best), how would u rate ur country's education system? What should be done to change it?

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
Lovelylocs said:
If u were educated in the DR, do u feel like u recieved a decent education? How do u feel about the dominican education system? Can most of your relatives read and write well? On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the best), how would u rate ur country's education system? What should be done to change it?

In my case.. i went to school in both countries.. I went to Don Bosco.. If you ask me to compare.. i really believe that the education In DR was way stronger and better than here.. Specially in Math.. The math in early grades is more advanced in DR that it is in here.. I was not even allow to use a calculator in school until i reached 7th grade... Here, my little brother in law uses one in 3rd grade. i guess it also depends on the school and area.. I went to private school all my life so i have no idea how the public school system works.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I went to University in the US and in the DR. I feel that at that level it was comparable if not harder in the DR - the professors pushed harder, I think in some places in the US the professors are scared of lawsuits, tenure etc.

I also feel that most of my friends raised in the DR and who studied in the Univerisity had a better knowledge of world affairs than I did even though I had studied International Relations.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Lovelylocs said:

Since we're talking about education, 'recieved' is actually spelled 'received.'

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Conchman I am disappointed you did not point out the fact it is you and your not u and ur.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
the Dominican Education system is by far better than the US i mean i was 5 and already in the 2nd Grade in the DR and when i came here i had to start all over so the US education system made me wast 3 years of my education progress just becouse i was 5. Thanx alot America

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
US & Puerto Rico

DR education can be excellent, as can US education. I tend to think that you get what you put in to it.

As for the "system" , I am afraid that it is a case of doing what is best for the majority. As a personal experience, I know of one case where a young girl was way advanced (third year of high school by the time she was 14) However, the social pressures and major age differences between the girl and her classmates had a devastating effect on her studies and she failed to pass her grade.) Doing her junior year aagain at 15 and graduating at 16 1/2 greatly facilitated her adjustment and in college she managed to graduate Magna Cum Laude and go on to pretty fair success...
So there is something to be said for keeping kids that are very young out until they reach an "average" level of maturity at 6 years of age. And even then they are a handful..

Just 2? of experience.

HB :D:D

Jan 5, 2006
I went to school in both places, and as someone pointed previously, it all depends on the individual person and the specific schools attended. In the DR, an education can vary greatly between schools, particularly when comparing public to private schools. I think that the same can be said for college level education, as I have spoken to many friends and relatives that have attended college there, and it is obvious that the quality of the education differs from one institution to the next.

However, I'm a strong believer that an individual and his/her attitude toward education greatly impact the end result in any case, whether they are educated in the DR or the US. If you go to any high school in the US and look at the next graduating class, you will find that there are students who will graduate having completed a college level calculus class, while there are others who will graduate having only completed a basic algebra class. The difference is a student pushing to be the best, while the other is pushing to just get by.