When did u realize u were black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovelylocs

Mar 4, 2005
This is for the morenos(as). When did u realize that u were black? Did u know this all along while u were growing up? Was it smthg that u realized when u came to the US b/c u are not considered black in the DR? Do u still not accept urself as being black although many Americans may percieve u to be so (ie. are u always being mistaken for an African American or other black)? Please share ur story. I'm just curious.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Lovelylocs said:
This is for the morenos(as). When did u realize that u were black? Did u know this all along while u were growing up? Was it smthg that u realized when u came to the US b/c u are not considered black in the DR? Do u still not accept urself as being black although many Americans may percieve u to be so (ie. are u always being mistaken for an African American or other black)? Please share ur story. I'm just curious.

I see stupid and ignorant people. They are everywhere.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Lovelylocs said:

Como hacen usted dice en ingl?s? Get a LIFE!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Why do people feel that they have to forcibly identify other people from other countries? Give it a rest already.

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Most people of the DR have mixed ancestory,thus they are not "black" and thus never needed to realise it.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Lovelylocs said:
When did u realize that u were black?

One day I just looked at myself and said you know what, that birthmark is not a birth mark - that is my real skin color and the rest of my skin was just 1 big white birthmark.

This comment was paraphrased from the movie "White Boys"

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Reality check here!

I don't know why the posters are so offended by this, when it's a matter of fact.

My fiance and I were having a conversation about life in the US, and I told him that he needed to be prepared for people to discriminate against him for two reasons while living here...1.) For being black and 2.) For being Hispanic...

You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that, he asked me in a very sad tone of voice: "Do you really mean they would hold that against me, that I'm black and Hispanic? But I'm not really black..."

Let me tell you, I have seen this with my own two eyes, how people (especially here in Miami) can be so racist...and discriminate because of skin color and race...

We had a girl working for one of our radio stations, she is a 'morena' Dominicana. Well...here she was considered a 'black, hispanic woman' which filled the quota for the EEOC...3 birds with one stone...

Nobody paid attention to her because of this, even though she is a great radio personality, until she got fed up and accepted an offer from another radio station, and now is making tons of money doing the morning show...

Come on, people...as much as we want to deny this...it exists and will exist for the end of time...

Only WE can change this, if WE start to accept people for what they are: HUMAN BEINGS without any regards to skin color, race, religion and the such.

MQ

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Lovelylocs said:

When,

the black american kids in school accepted me as such. When I first arrived here, much of the racism I experienced were from black Americans.

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
There are many who would like to sweep issues like this under the rug and wish that they would stay hidden or just go away. In the real world it is never that simple. there are people who are affected and would continue to be affected.

Some of us who were born of a certain skin color sail through life taking for granted certain privileges which for many others are a obtained only with struggle.

The issue raised by the person who started the thread is very real and affects not only Hispanics but also people of mixed race from the english speaking caribbean also.

Since this board is related to issues involving the DR and the problem of race does exist, IMHO any constructive discussion should be welcomed. My personal experience as a black man from the english speaking caribbean is that open and constructive dialouge helps to dispel many of the myths, and get the different viewpoints and feelings out in the open.

Willie

Lovelylocs

Mar 4, 2005
wildnfree said:
Most people of the DR have mixed ancestory,thus they are not "black" and thus never needed to realise it.
I understand that this is a view point. Still, some Dominican Americans (morenos) DO identify themselves as black. Whether we agree or disagree about whether they are indeed black or not is irrelevant to this discussion. This is how THEY CHOOSE to identify themselves. I thought one of the main arguments of the "dominicans are not black" theory is that people should be able to identify themselves and not have identities FORCED upon them. Well, this is for the people identify as black hispanics.

Lovelylocs

Mar 4, 2005
bigbird said:
Como hacen usted dice en ingl?s? Get a LIFE!
I am not the one making snide remarks on a message board. I do have a life and that involves doing educational research, studying, reading, etc. What does your life consist of trolling message boards and harrassing people? hmmm... ;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Lovelylocs said:
I am not the one making snide remarks on a message board. I do have a life and that involves doing educational research, studying, reading, etc. What does your life consist of trolling message boards and harrassing people? hmmm... ;)

Si, adios knucklehead. ;)

BTW, Get a REAL LIFE.

Educational research, what about Roy G Biv?

Roy G Biv, no hay problema para tu?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ok "Uglylocks",Lets Call A Spade a Spade HERE!!!

I turned "Black" when I was bitten by a "Scorpio Negro" in Sierra Leon 3 years ago.At first I didn't like it very much,but then I moved to the Dominican Republic,and became a "Sankie" in Puerto Plate.Now I screw more White girls than I did when I was White! AND,They pay me for screwing them!! My father,who was "Blue" but would NEVER acknowledge that! Once told me that if I was "Black" for one Saturday Night,I would never want to be White again!! He was right!!:cross-eye
Cris "Durag" Colon

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Lovelylocs...

Lovelylocs said:
I understand that this is a view point. Still, some Dominican Americans (morenos) DO identify themselves as black. Whether we agree or disagree about whether they are indeed black or not is irrelevant to this discussion. This is how THEY CHOOSE to identify themselves. I thought one of the main arguments of the "dominicans are not black" theory is that people should be able to identify themselves and not have identities FORCED upon them. Well, this is for the people identify as black hispanics.

Do you realize that ONLY IN AMERICA is there such a thing as Hispanics being a race?

When I was growing up there were only 3 races in the world...WHITE, BLACK AND ASIAN...

Now here in the US, with all the 'political correctness' and the EEOC and all this crap, they try to put people in 'categories' and mark them with 'races' which shouldn't exist...

For example, I'm sure you've filled out employment applications where they ask if you are: White, and they specify NOT OF HISPANIC DESCENT, Black, Hispanic, Indian...

WHY??? I am white...PERIOD...why do they make the difference if you are white but were born in a Latin country you should consider yourself HISPANIC?

And if you are black born in a Latin country you are also HISPANIC??? There is no such thing as the HISPANIC race!!!

They only do this to perpetuate the discrimination and the racism in the world! And then they say that they can't discriminate because of race, color, religion, etc... But they have to fill quotas at work that DEMAND that they hire at least ONE person of each race, as defined by them, and one woman, but if you get like my co-worker a BLACK, HISPANIC WOMAN...like I said...you kill 3 birds with one stone...

If you are indeed doing research, I hope one day we can see this as being the most DISCRIMINATORY thing in the world, and can do away with it forever...

Next time you fill out any kind of paper and they ask this, realize that it's not MANDATORY for you to answer...it's only VOLUNTARY...

I never mark anything when they ask...they can draw their own conclusions...

MQ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Enough of the race related stuff, keep it off of DR1.

It's doing my cracker head in.... Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.