Marriage annulment.

jazzstix

Dec 15, 2005
Last Friday I was married to a woman living in La Romana. I left the Dominican Republic and returned to Brasil where I live. The marriage was not consumated. Can the marriage, under DR law, can the marriage be annuled?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I bet she did before. She might claim retroactive consummation. What a doofus to get stuck like this.

jazzstix

Dec 15, 2005
I requested sound legal advice, not singe digit IQ responses. If this is an example of the mentality of this forum, it is very sad. By the way, I get plenty of that kind of action in Brasil where I live.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
jazzstix said:
I requested sound legal advice, not singe digit IQ responses. If this is an example of the mentality of this forum, it is very sad. By the way, I get plenty of that kind of action in Brasil where I live.

Why don't you share your experience. Was it a shotgun wedding? Or was it that you were too drunk and when you sobered up you were laying next to a woman you hardly knew?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
jazzstix said:
I requested sound legal advice, not singe digit IQ responses. If this is an example of the mentality of this forum, it is very sad.

Sadder than getting married on the 16th and home in Brasil, abandoning the new wifey 6 days later? That is hard to imagine.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
While you are waiting for our resident lawyer to reply I found some info for you.

Not sure why you want an annulment unless you need one to remarry in the Catholic religion otherwise it would be easier and quicker to get a one day divorce in the DR. Trying to prove there was no consummation has got to be the most intrusive part of all.

Here's the info

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/fam15.htm

jazzstix

Dec 15, 2005
Thank you for your help, Anna. It is a long story. I met the woman on the internet, became fond of her and her son. I visited her in the DR last February and, knowing her son was studying drumming, I bought her son a drum set. I have been a drummer/percussionist for some time. I wanted to be friends without the pursuing the sexual side. I left the DR and told her that I thought I was too old to be her boyfriend. She was hurt. We continued to communicate via the internet and when she needed financial help, I sent her funds. In November I visited her and her son again. She is 33 and I am 58 years old. In a weak moment I agreed to a civil marriage. A mistake because I just wanted to be good friends and help her son with his drumming. He has a lot of potential. I was not in the relationship to take advantage of her sexually. Nothing ever happened in that respect. She says she loves me but it is not an intimate/passionate love. I have explained to her that it is better to only be friends but she is resisting the idea of an annulment and says she really loves me. So that is the story. I have to resolve this situation in some way. Thanks for your help.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
jazzstix said:
Thank you for your help, Anna. It is a long story. I met the woman on the internet, became fond of her and her son. I visited her in the DR last February and, knowing her son was studying drumming, I bought her son a drum set. I have been a drummer/percussionist for some time. I wanted to be friends without the pursuing the sexual side. I left the DR and told her that I thought I was too old to be her boyfriend. She was hurt. We continued to communicate via the internet and when she needed financial help, I sent her funds. In November I visited her and her son again. She is 33 and I am 58 years old. In a weak moment I agreed to a civil marriage. A mistake because I just wanted to be good friends and help her son with his drumming. He has a lot of potential. I was not in the relationship to take advantage of her sexually. Nothing ever happened in that respect. She says she loves me but it is not an intimate/passionate love. I have explained to her that it is better to only be friends but she is resisting the idea of an annulment and says she really loves me. So that is the story. I have to resolve this situation in some way. Thanks for your help.

Interesting. Hey...no offense...but you are a friggin' moron.

How you have lived to be 58 is amazing.

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
jazzstix said:
I think you've been fu*ked and didn't even know it. It's probably going to take a monetary settlement to make the anullment idea fly.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The marriage helps drumming solution will go into the annals of drum and bugle corps everywhere.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I always thought drummers knew where to keep there sticks!

I think you did it all backwards Sr. Baterista.
My last novia bought me a set of Ludwigs after we made love for the first time.
I think you are the one that needs the lessons!

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
First, let me apologize for all the ignorance that's come across in most of the posts. I suppose it demonstrates they don't have much of a life.

Now to a`possible solution to your problem: do nothing. Presumably, this woman and child are short of financial means. That being the case, it's unlikely that anything will happen, ever. She will not have access or resources to make any demands on you in Brazil. Therefore, my advise is to take the path of least resistance (and expense), just do nothing.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Yes and be married for the rest of your life as a result, never to be able to legally marry again, great idea. You are such a font of knowledge with you long experience here to suggest something that irresponsible. It's adviCe by the way.

He did something stupid, he gets a lawyer to arrange a divorce and she can consent.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Seachange said:
First, let me apologize for all the ignorance that's come across in most of the posts. I suppose it demonstrates they don't have much of a life.
Therefore, my advise is to take the path of least resistance (and expense), just do nothing.

Yes and be married for the rest of your life as a result, never to be able to legally marry again, great idea (or lie and be a bigamist). You are such a font of knowledge with your long experience here to suggest something that irresponsible.

He did something stupid, he gets a lawyer to arrange a divorce and she can consent.

It's adviCe by the way. If you give it, at least spell it right.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Seachange said:

Now to a`possible solution to your problem: do nothing. Presumably, this woman and child are short of financial means. That being the case, it's unlikely that anything will happen, ever. She will not have access or resources to make any demands on you in Brazil. Therefore, my advise is to take the path of least resistance (and expense), just do nothing.
I hope you are not apologizing for me. At least with this advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get a divorce.
No matter what it costs.
Otherwise you will have this albatross around your neck for as long as you live..
And the kid still got the drums, so that part is cool...

HB :ermm:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jazzstix said:
In a weak moment I agreed to a civil marriage. A mistake because I just wanted to be good friends and help her son with his drumming.

Perhaps you should just get a divorce, quite easy in the DR but it will cost you some money. The attorney that replied, Fabio Guzman, has offices in a few places in the DR and is best placed to help you get a divorce. Pay your money, get a divorce and still help where you want to help. It is clear that you will not get the help that you need in this thread. So, approach a good attorney and get a divorce.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
And even if you are Catholic, next time go ahead and just have sex with them and not marry them. They'll still be willing without a ring. Ooops....you did marry her but never did have sex before or after, whoops.