Apr 17, 2005
Wiesbaden, Germany, Germany
Hi

I love it,

Maybe I came here 4 the GuaGua
4 the music
4 the people

do you know the war between guagua's?
did you see how they drive slowly sometimes?
with the Cobradors watching the arrival of another GuaGua thru the back window?
so they can take more people?

or driving like hell to arrive before another guagua?

Or to drive 100 yards in a lateral drive to pick you up?
Or to let a person go out for a urgent matter?
Help people with hundreds of fundas...
Or the talks between the people about a hot subject.. girls, softbal,

So what about Price cheating?

I took the guagua more then 150 times,
Let say I try to have the right change ;) .. no
the thing is with this 5 pesos more.. they do not have the change...
but only sometimes
I would say 99% are ok

So the prices
Juan dolio - San Pedro = 25 !!! 15 klm
Juan Dolio - La Caletta = 25 ??? 30 klm
I can t explain..

I lived and worked in many countries
I travelled in alot of places
I would have liked to say : Dominicano soy
or maybe Dominicana soy ;) (don t get me wrong on that :angry: )
I explain :
I met women, mothers, to fight to raise 2 or 3 or more children by their own
They build in ten years a decent home
They fight everyday to pay their fiao...

Tourists do not see this side of RD

What does a Tourist see anyway :classic:

Feliz navidad

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am with you on this... Guaua is a cultural market in Latin American countries. I found most operators (small and large in the DR to be very friendly too... no gringo prices.
Guaua trips in Ecuador were stories to write books about every time: I'd go from the Andean town of Cuenca down to "la Costa" and once you reached the Costa you'd be submerged into a whole different world at once... kids would jump on and of (while the bus would be driving) offering merchandise... "compre chicle" .... " compre coco, a ver coco helao!"... all of a sudden you'd have a crab in stuck a 2 inches of your face "mire... cangrejo fresco"... who the heck wants life crabs in a bus at 40Deg. C??? :nervous:

I traveled on Guauas along the North Coast and between Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo quite a bit. I always got a trip full of laughter , talk'n'music and would get off with some new phone numbers. In the DR, If you don't have a lifely conversation with the person seated next to you after the first minute, either one or both must have been death. :classic:

Parada! Sube pasaje y sigue pa tra!
... J-D.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
As far as I know, D.R . has one of the absolute worst traffic statistics in the whole world. Those Gua Guas isn't safe, there is a reason these minibusses in other countries is registred for a limited amount of people.

funckytown

Apr 17, 2005
Wiesbaden, Germany, Germany
statistics?

Tor said:
As far as I know, D.R . has one of the absolute worst traffic statistics in the whole world. Those Gua Guas isn't safe, there is a reason these minibusses in other countries is registred for a limited amount of people.

Dying with music.... :lick:

it is the first time I hear somebody does statistics on traffic in the RD :nervous:

Statistics? I wrote many databases in Europ, for statistics... :classic:

So here?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i LOVE the guagua experience when i am in the DR. It is when i know that i am finaly away from the touristy areas and the residual hangover of north american & euro life and finaly a part of every day life.

I make sure to know the fare before hand...and always have the exact change...and always make sure i get on an express!!!!

the only bad...not really bad experience i had on a guagua was when i had to sit on the seat next to the driver. It was sort of on a perch....and my face was nearly pressed against the windshield glass...and i am 6' 2" and the back of the seat wasnt secure...so the guy behind me had to hold the seat while i tried to lean forward so not to put preasure on it.

That experience was a few years ago....and it is still kinda puts a smile on my face. It sure beats the time where on my first visit i rented a motorbike and let this sankie drive me into the capital. He wasnt a bad guy....but lord his driving nearly gave me a heart attack....and of course we were pulled over by little green men and have to give them 300 pesos.

so....from then on..its always been guagua for me!!!