My first extended stay in DR and i need some help

Brooks

Sep 19, 2005
hi everyone

this will be my first 6 month stay (or longer) in the dominican republic and i just have a few questions where the details are alluding me and i dont want to be caught off guard when i arrive

firstly, ive decided on Sosua as my home base as i finally made it up there in september 05 and enjoyed meeting a few people from this board at rocky's and a few other places. while sosua has her flaws, its the people that make the community great and i enjoy the expat and dominican mix.

i have my apartment pretty well set however i will be arriving with two cashiers checks worth 4000 USD apiece drawn on the bank of montreal (ny office), ill also have other monies to get thru a month of expenses until the checks clear.

i actually thought it was a no brainer that i could deposit the checks the same time i open a bank account in sosua and have access to the funds within 2 weeks but what im hearing now is it might take upto 30 days and i might not be allowed to open a bank account. (all i have is a passport and no bank account in the united states)

does anyone forsee some problems i might encounter with this situation and should i come up with a new plan different than opening a bank account with the checks and waiting for them to clear.

the second problem is of less importance but still weighing on my mind abit. my "girlfriend" LOL in sosua , has found a motorcycle for me that fits my needs perfectly and i asked her if she can register it in her name. she says no problem but the more i think about it, she doesnt even have a drivers license so i dont know how she can be successful.

so if i wanted to purchase this motorcycle, do you think she would be able to get it registered with her cedula and would i be able to drive it with my us license for 6 months fully insured. for sake of arguement lets say i trust this girl implicitly and i understand the risks involved in that part of the equation.

i look forward to meeting more of you after new year and hopefully amigoted is ok as the last time i saw him he was "sleeping" at the new york shark bar after about 12 presidentes still holding his losing NFL betting slips. just remember teddy, underdogs usually rule the nfl the last few weeks so wager accordingly.:cheeky:

see ya

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is no reason that I can think of for registering the bike in someone else's name, unless you want to throw the money away.
You can register it in your name, even if you don't have a dominican license.
That being said, in theory, you are not supposed to drive with an out of country license, once your tourist visa is expired, and if you're not getting your residency, you cannot get your license.
I doubt that the police would be asking to see your tourist visa, in the unlucky event that you had an accident.
If you have insurance, which you must, then there should be no problem.
If you want to be absolutely sure, you could go every 2 weeks and get an extension on your tourist visa.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
As far as banking, Republic Bank in Puerto Plata will open an account with just a passport. You may be better off having a wire transfer of that amount of funds. Availability will be almost the next day.
This link still works for English site: (Repub;ic Bank took over Banco Mercantil)
http://www.mercantil.com.do/index_ing.asp

Brooks

Sep 19, 2005
thanks for the replies.

im glad to see i can register the bike in my name and get it insured . the person i would be buying the motorcycle from is leaving the island at the end of january to work on a pig farm somewhere (if i understood correctly) so ill have time to take care of the things when i arrive or find another seller.

im also trying to work out a deal with the people who own the apartments to pay for my time in advance with one of the cashiers check and they will give me the change in pesos. im trying to get the year for 4000usd but waiting to hear back from them so if that works out it will put me in good shape as i dont have anywhere to be until next october and if things go accordingly ill be back to the DR in november 06 anyways to work on my residency

i might head to puerto plata to open up the bank account with the remaining check and then go there once a week for funds i will need for the next 10 days or so. it would be convenient if i could open up the account in POP then use the debit card in sosua but im not sure if that is possible and what fees would be involved.

thanks again for the replies and stay safe over the holidays

michael

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Brooks said:
thanks for the replies.

i might head to puerto plata to open up the bank account with the remaining check and then go there once a week for funds i will need for the next 10 days or so. it would be convenient if i could open up the account in POP then use the debit card in sosua but im not sure if that is possible and what fees would be involved.

michael
Republic Bank issues a Visa Debit/ATM card. For ATM card use there is a small daily fee (I forget, probably 20 pesos) for the day it is used no matter how many ATM uses. The dispensing banks have no charges. Any ATM in Sosua will work. The charge is certainly less than the cost of transportation to POP.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
HOWMAR said:
Republic Bank issues a Visa Debit/ATM card. For ATM card use there is a small daily fee (I forget, probably 20 pesos) for the day it is used no matter how many ATM uses. The dispensing banks have no charges. Any ATM in Sosua will work. The charge is certainly less than the cost of transportation to POP.

Republic bank has no daily fee anymore for ATM/VISA DEBIT as far as I know. I think they charge like 6 pesos per time you use the card.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Brooks said:
thanks for the replies.
im also trying to work out a deal with the people who own the apartments to pay for my time in advance with one of the cashiers check and they will give me the change in pesos. im trying to get the year for 4000usd but waiting to hear back from them so if that works out it will put me in good shape as i dont have anywhere to be until next october and if things go accordingly ill be back to the DR in november 06 anyways to work on my residency

michael
I would suggest using extreme caution in paying the rent a year in advance. Have heard too many horror stories here in the DR. Some include: Is the landlord the owner or is he subletting to you?, If he sells will he credit the balance of rent to the new owner? Etc., Etc..Make sure all the contingencies are spelled out in WRITING, in Spanish.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I wouldn?t do it even with your good advices Howmar.
What about currency exchange rates, if owner dies, if he gets a divorce etc etc..

1 months rent and 1-2 deposits is the normal way ( and the law for what that matters ).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Somebody git me a 2 x 4 so's i can hit this clown upside his haid??????

Look Brooksy: In this country you do not put your vehicle in anyone's name you are not married to. You do not pay rent for more than the absolute MINIMUM required. You can work with any bank, if you bring cash, and get a better exchange rate to boot.

Leave the money at home and access it with an ATM card...is good advice, as was HOWMAR's...

I happen to know where you can get a nice Honda 250 if that is what you want.

And, like so many things here, Fer Pete's Sake!! GO SLOW>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

HB :D

Brooks

Sep 19, 2005
carina said:
Republic bank has no daily fee anymore for ATM/VISA DEBIT as far as I know. I think they charge like 6 pesos per time you use the card.

thanks carina and howmar.

that sounds pretty good as my bank card didnt work at any of the atm's in sosua last visit and it was a unique feeling when you dont have access to your funds.

the last time i used my US bank card a few years back. i remember looking at my statements upon return and seeing i received an exchange rate lower than the cambios and my bank charged me 5 dollars per transaction which can really add up if your withdrawing 3 times per week over the course of a year so i tried to come up with a way to avoid that situation. the only other country ive stayed over six months was thailand and i had a bank account within the first week with only a tourist visa and a passport and received a debit card within two weeks. it was my fault for assuming i could do the same in the DR.

as far as the year in advance for the apartment, i wish i had said 6 months but i didnt.

however, this is a large complex and id be renting from the management company and while it doesnt alleviate some of the issues discussed i wouldnt have a problem putting down a few months in advance if it helped me in other areas and gave me a slight discount. this is a 91 unit complex that im considering buying at so i would extend a bit of extra trust to them and someone quite familiar with real estate in the dominican republic who posts on this forum said that it was a good place.

anyways, its pretty irrelavent as they wouldnt do it and ill cash one of the checks before i leave and try to open up the account in puerto plata and get a debit card.

as far as the motorcycle, i again was trying to avoid trying to register a bike with a tourist visa because i didnt think it could be done and if i decided to leave i was going to give her the bike anyways so it seemed like a decent idea. i understand the risks involved in that but since she was going to pay for it before i got there and owns a business in sosua i felt my risks were minimal.

hey howmar, are you Martin from the sosua poker game at rocky's. if so i played with you once a few months back. hopefully the game is still going on and we can play after the new year if im invited back after pulling a flush when you, marco, and graham had a straight.

anyways i dont have a picture in the media gallery but if you see me in sosua, ill be dressed with a bright red nose, big shoes, and ill have a flower on my lapel that you shouldnt touch because it might squirt you with water; ill be dressed like this so hillbilly can recognize me as the "clown" LOLOLOLOL

no worries hillbilly, i will heed the advice to slow down as i know i can get very excited at times.

take care everyone

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Brooks said:
thanks carina and howmar.

hey howmar, are you Martin from the sosua poker game at rocky's. if so i played with you once a few months back. hopefully the game is still going on and we can play after the new year if im invited back after pulling a flush when you, marco, and graham had a straight.
We always let guests win the first time. The game is every Thursday at 8:00. We now have the advantage of knowing how liquid your assets are.

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
Get a Paypal debit card and transfer money to your paypal acct as needed. Paypal debit transactions are are limited to the funds in your paypal acct.

You can use the card in any ATM that accepts Mastercard.

Follow the advice and keep the bulk of your money in US banks.

Willie

Brooks

Sep 19, 2005
HOWMAR said:
We always let guests win the first time. The game is every Thursday at 8:00. We now have the advantage of knowing how liquid your assets are.

good to hear about the game.

i will try my best to be there the 5th of january with my liquid courage and illiquid assets.

have a safe holiday season sir and see you on the flip side.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Why do I foresee a future post from this guy where he's coming back to tell us how he got taken and lost all his money?

You've been to The DR once, already planning an extended stay (nothing wrong with that if properly planned)...but you've already got a "novia", are planning to buy an appartment complex (even though you know nothing about Dominican real state, its laws, or how things work), planning to buy a motorcycle and put it in someone else's name, planning to bring your money but don't know where to put it or how to access it...Wow

Listen to Hillbilly buddy and take it slow. leave you money in The US and access it via ATM until you decide that you really do want to stay in The DR permanently...Even then I would still leave the bulk of my money in The US. Don't go buying anything until you learn the lay of the land and definitely don't put anything in someone else's name. Don't pay for anything in advance unless you absolutely have to....and don't sign anything unless you understand what you're signing...and finally take some time and read through the archives here to find all the info you need. Read the sticky posts, pay a visit to the sankie (Mars & Venus) and legal forums...

The only thing I see you doing right at this point is that you're meeting some of the folks that post here. I would say continue to expand that network...

Good luck and please post back in here how things turn out...

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
oops didn't see suarezn's reply til I posted mine, i fully agree with suarezn, once you live here you will meet people who will cash your personal checks - legitimate money changers with exchange banks. Do not pay a year in advance for an apartment.

Brooks

Sep 19, 2005
thanks again for the replies.

i asked a few questions at the beginning that i couldnt find the answers to in the archives or other sources.

i thank the people who answered the questions i asked.

somehow i turned out to be someone who has only been to the DR one time, met a whore in sosua who is going to take advantage of me and will most likely get screwed over trying to buy a condo because i dont know the lay of the land.

i will take some of the responsibility as i could have chosen my words more carefully however it seems some people are making assumptions that just dont apply here.

im sure there are many people that come down here with limited funds and a dream of living in paradise but that isnt me.

for what its worth i dont put the DR in my top ten list for living in paradise, however she does offer me a few things obviously or i wouldnt be coming back year after year.

there arent too many places that i can get a direct flight for under 300 dollars round trip, get picked up at the airport by a friend and head to my beautiful apartment that costs 250 USD per month (plus maintenace and electricity) which includes internet.

but again those things arent really important if your surrounded by people you dont like which leads to the main reason im staying in sosua.

within a few hours of arriving last trip marco spent an hour with me getting my notebook wifi ready and adding a few programs to help my pc. i was able to play poker with martin, graham and alan. alan's wife even brought us ice cream to enjoy between hands; i dont believe you will find four better people in any country than those i just mentioned.

i hung out with lou for an afternoon and while things are abit fuzzy, i think every other drink i had was on the house. i met amy before i left and she told me if i needed any help finding a place to stay to let her know.

i could go on but the point im trying to make is, i was kinda blown away with people's kindness.

so again, while sosua certainly isnt paradise in my estimation, knowing people like i mentioned above can make it seem that way.

again, i put aside 10k for 6 months in the dr to check things out and decide if i want to stay longer and/or buy a place there. that 10k does not have a significant impact on my life.

keep in mind im single and there is a larger room for error when there arent little ones running around.

my biggest concern right now is finding a nice wok to cook with and finding an organization i can volunteer a few hours a day.

i was going to make another post but i think i will hold off on that until i get there and just ask it here.

if anyone knows how i could become involved in the north coast as a volunteer please send me a pm or respond here.

im not sure what qualities are in need there but ive coached basketball and baseball for junior high students and i have my TEFL certificate.

lastly my quick dr1 story:

when you are on the northcoast you will meet many dr1ers without a doubt.

i had never posted before but read the message board every day and knew the names and enjoyed the media gallery.

then one night there was about 4 or 5 of us and they asked me what i thought of dr1.

alot of time i dont think before i answer and i blurted out "i really enjoy AZB's posts".

i remember saying "oh ****" i shouldnt have said that but to my amazement everyone in the room started saying things like:

he's a geat guy
he's the best
a true gentlemen
a good friend

i dont really know how to tie that in with me except things are not always as they appear.

take care everyone.