Mar 18, 2002
Does anyone know how much the following costs in the DR:

Dental exam
X-rays
Fillings
Root Canal
Crown
Bridge

I realize that the cost of some of these procedures will vary but I am looking for a rough idea of the costs.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
It's all cheap.

My last dental checkup included x-rays, cleaning (including using ultrasonic as I hate picks), and a fluoride treatment. Cost was RD$1200. (about US$40)

In the past, I had to have a root canal, followed by a gold inlay, and the cost was equivalent to US$140 for everything.

I think that crowns run about US $150 to US $175 for gold or porcelain.

Not sure on bridges or implants, but there are lots of dentists that specialize in this type of work at similar costs.

For a lot less, you can get any of the above done in a Dominican university's dental clinic for whatever the material costs are, and a minimal clinic charge, and the student dentists are in their last year of studies, supervised by their professors.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
A root canal last year in Puerto Plata was very good but certainly wasn't "cheap" in my opinion at $900.00 Canadian. Canadian Bob.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Several US posters that have come here for a major amount of work have told me that what they paid for the dental work and for their hotel and meals while having the dental work done was significantly less than their US dentist would have charged them to have the work done there.

CaliforniaGeorge

Nov 20, 2005
My dad came back from Santo Domingo a couple of months ago after having spent a month there. He told me he had dental work done there that would have cost him thousands here in California for a mere fraction of the cost.

However, he did indicate that the way it worked was that the dentist would call him and say, come over right now while we have electricity. :glasses:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Had a root canal done in POP last month. Total bill including exam, x-rays, root canal on premolar and filling was 6200 pesos. Insurance paid 80%. My portion 1240.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Had a root canal done in POP last month. Total bill including exam, x-rays, root canal on premolar and filling was 6200 pesos. Insurance paid 80%. My portion 1240.
Is your insurance plan US or Dominican based? I was curious if any Dentists there accept US plans like Delta dental.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
Is your insurance plan US or Dominican based? I was curious if any Dentists there accept US plans like Delta dental.
Don't know about US but I doubt it. I have ARS Palic Salud. Medical policy including dental, prescriptions and vision is about 720 pesos/month for single coverage.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good cosmetic dentist on The North Coast or Santiago?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Tamborista said:
Can anyone recommend a good cosmetic dentist on The North Coast or Santiago?
Dr. Freddy Lepe in POP is very popular among DR1 posters. Can't say anything about cosmetic abilities but is very proficient in General and Endodontics. He seems to be up on most recent techniques including tooth whitening technology.
Fees seem to be reasonable (secretary works off a procedure price list-no seperate gringo fee schedule).
Most improtant-NO PAIN

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Freedy Lepe does cosmetic work. Same procedures as you might have seen on the TV show "Extreme Makeover".

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks Carina!

I may have to give him a try.
Do you know if anyone has had porcelin laminate overlays done?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Canada40 said:
How much Dr. Lepe charges for teeth whitening ?

Thx.
I checked yesterday. He offers "Zoom". The brochure says this is the system used on ABCs Extreme makeover. He charges RD$ 12,000 for the 1 hour treatment.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
"Zoom" is good. I believe it's a franchise kind'a deal but I would not be surprised some 1 or 2 year old machines find their way to Latin American countries... free of any franchise (fee) binding.
Anyway a Zoom treatment in Florida 2 1/2 years ago was about USD 550.oo... so, RD12'000.oo (USD 375.oo) would seem somewhat cheaper but not soooo incredibly cheap.

I know of a Argentian who lives in the DR for a long time and actually does or did Radio shows around Santo Domingo, who was bringing Italians over to Santo Domingo for dental work. While he was making on money on these deals it was still a bargain to his "clients" (Dental coyote?? ;))

... J-D.

LoveMyDRHusband

Oct 10, 2005
I am looking for a dentist to make a full upper denture can anyone advise me on this? I will be in the San Francisco area but willing to travel for the right dentist
Thanks
Amanda