Wanted: HOUSE to rent

stretch

Aug 25, 2005
We are two couples from Canada coming to DR for 3 months. (January 13-April 12/06) We need a clean house or townhouse to rent in Santiago/Puerto Plata/area with at least two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and security bars on the windows. We also need internet, which apparently we can sign up for as long as there is a LAN phone line in the house. Our budget is about $400 US/month. We're coming to test out if we could move to DR. We have a friend in Santiago looking for a place for us, but I thought it doesn't hurt to put feelers out there. (I hope this is the proper forum.) Is it true you have to pay a "house hunter" one month's rent to find a place? That seems steep. Thanks for any suggestions.

SweetSue

Dec 15, 2005
I just recently returned from Puerto Plata, in fact last week. I have used the guide same guide every year for the past 5 years. He has proven to be not only trustworthy but also honest. His name is Fermin Ventura and he can be found outside of the Iberostar Resort daily. He is a native and very knowlegable of the area.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
stretch said:
We are two couples from Canada coming to DR for 3 months. (January 13-April 12/06) We need a clean house or townhouse to rent in Santiago/Puerto Plata/area with at least two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and security bars on the windows. We also need internet, which apparently we can sign up for as long as there is a LAN phone line in the house. Our budget is about $400 US/month. We're coming to test out if we could move to DR. We have a friend in Santiago looking for a place for us, but I thought it doesn't hurt to put feelers out there. (I hope this is the proper forum.) Is it true you have to pay a "house hunter" one month's rent to find a place? That seems steep. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi, for 3 months rental only, you are pretty much in the hands those who rent out to tourists, or by using personal contacts.

You do not need to pay someone one months rent to find you a house, but if someone finds you proper accommodation, a "thank you" in form of some money is the correct way. For long term rent ( residencial ) usually the landlord gives the agent/person the first months rent, or for tourist accommodation a commission.

You would need to pay, I guess, 2 months rent ( i.e first and last ) as a deposit.

Internet contracts goes over 12 - 18 months by verizon, you can not sign up for 3 months only.

Maybe, considering your budget, you should try and look towards Costambar, where many houses for rent short term are located.
For 3 months only, it might be hard at least in Puerto Plata to cover a 2 bedroom house, with around 12.000.
For residencial rent it is more than enough downtown, but these houses are
1) rarely out for rent, when a house is it goes fast...LOL 2) It is always longterm ( residencial ).

Or go for an apartment for now.

Good luck!