appts in POP

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
ok, i just read some not so nice stuff about diane pellerin.and now i am skeptical.Im not picky about where i live,i lived in cuba most of my life so living in a small little appt isnt an issue for me.I am concerned however about employment.I was going to go there with enough money for rent and try to get a job asap to support myself.Diane said she could help me find a job.If anyone has any advice on where i can go to find a job,or get a decent appt close to playa dorada preferably,it would be greatly appreciated.Gracias!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, why would you want to be close to Playa Dorada would be my first question? Playa Dorada is about 10-15 min outside of Puerto Plata, and it is a gated tourist complex. Around in nothing but nature and the mainroad that goes between Puerto Plata and Cabarete.

If you are counting on work in Playa Dorada, be prepared it is hard.
Hotels do not hire foreigners, some excursion companies does in selling and then you?ll get a commission based salary, you will stand in the Plaza Mall trying to get people to buy tours from you. (They have the same option from their tour reps, at the hotel and by the pool ).
You can earn anything from 0 to very little, 100-200 US on a month from working 6 days a week.

Other options might be to look in to bars, telemarketing etc. For that you need to be here, get a net of people.
And of course all depends on your skills. Do you speak any languages?
How long will you be here? Speak Spanish? Do you know the island and the culture?

Puerto Plata is still closest to Playa Dorada if you plan to look for work there.
In Sosua or Cabarete your chances might be bigger though, although there you?ll find apartments etc more expensive.
Any apartments you?ll find in advance, even in Puerto Plata, are for tourist rental ( long term ) and prices are higher. If you are staying for a long time, you might win by getting a hotel the first nights and look for a furnished apartment upon arrival.

It takes time to find work here, depending on your skills of course, and on your personality, but don?t expect it to happen the first week.
It doesn?t work like that here. Everything takes time.

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
yes i do speak spanish,im half cuban and was raised in cuba most of my life. i also speak english and french since i spent the other half in montreal.im just looking for a small furnished type appt in puerto plata. i really dont care,im not picky,im used to it!living in cuba has prepared me for all!a couple of the hotels i spoke to said they would hire foreigners, (i worked as animation in cuba for 2years).I could easily bartend as well.I have been considering staying at the suncamp place.I ride horses as well so i was hoping on finding a job doing the riding tours.I definately understand the culture,the island i do not know so well,ive only been once.but i spent the entire time off resort.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are small apartments around in Puerto Plata, you will for sure find something. Why don?t you contact Joanne at Sams Bar/Castilla.
(username on dr1 is samsbar ). Book a room for 2-3 nights, they come cheap there, and that is gathering place for many people. For sure someone can help you find an affordable place to stay.
Or rent a furnished room, with facilities such as washing mashines etc around.
Joanne is a source, and you?ll be in the city.
There is public tranportation from the city if you get a job in Playa Dorada.
Check jobs when you come, what people say is one thing, and reality another... You know that, right?

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I think you should contact some people whi rent apartments. I have one 2 bedroom, 2 and a half bath that I rent long term. I usaukky spread the word amount real estate and some Dominicans when it is available, If I do that I'm sure others do it also.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think it is very, very unusual. Most that rent long term, either do not rent out at all when away, or only to people they know very well.
I have never heard of it.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
gatita_fiera said:
ok, i just read some not so nice stuff about diane pellerin.and now i am skeptical.Im not picky about where i live,i lived in cuba most of my life so living in a small little appt isnt an issue for me.I am concerned however about employment.I was going to go there with enough money for rent and try to get a job asap to support myself.Diane said she could help me find a job.If anyone has any advice on where i can go to find a job,or get a decent appt close to playa dorada preferably,it would be greatly appreciated.Gracias!
Be advised that Diane is an ex-timeshare sales person. The job she will help you find is introducing you to timeshare (vacation club) salespeople. If they like you they may hire you. But, it is a 100% commission job and will be at least a month before you see any money even if you make a sale the first day. If you don't make a sale the first week, expect to find another job.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Before seeing money... that goes for most jobs you can get here as a new foreigner.

Bar - They will train you 1,2,3 weeks first. No salary.

Tourism sales - Same, first training, and 1st month commission will be seen after a month.

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
thanks for the tips,im looking into other options,i hate selling those vacation club things.i hate the ppl who sell them!im going into the hotels,i have some contacts there so well see.who knows.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
gatita_fiera said:
thanks for the tips,im looking into other options,i hate selling those vacation club things.i hate the ppl who sell them!im going into the hotels,i have some contacts there so well see.who knows.
Just remember that most Dominican hotel workers work for a pay rate less than what you probably would need to live on your own. Most times they have to live in extended family groups with multiple incomes in order to make it. Can you live on 8000 pesos (approx $250) a month?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Howmar makes a great point about how many Dominicans can live with the low salaries because of extended family living together contributing many salaries to a communal fund.

You won't have that and I see from another thread you want to bring down a 120 lb shepard. I know where you are coming from - when I was young and single my Rottie and Irish Wolfhound went everywhere with me.

But big dogs do complicate finding housing and good dog food and good vet care are very expensive here for someone working on a local based salary. Big dogs eat a lot - you bring her down and she will be a major expense, a much higher percentage of your total salary in the DR than she is in the States or Canada. For example I now have a little dog and her dog food costs me 720 pesos a month. She eats dry Eukanuba puppy formula and goes through about a 3kg bag a month. Also what are you going to do with her while you are at work? Doesn't sound like you are looking for a big apartment with a yard area, is she going to stay cooped up in a little apartment all day?

I'm not trying to be super negative about you moving here but these are things you need to consider when deciding on whether or not to make the move with a pet and if you do move then be ready for these issues before the move, not after.

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
i know which is why i am taking my time.im saving up alot of cash before i go down.i would bring her everywhere with me,she goes where i go.shes my baby!i just had her weighed in,shes only 98lbs actually! hehe... she used to be a police dog,i like her for protection! and comfort! i dont like living alone. shes never been cooped up and nor do i plan on leaving her boxed in.im not like that. i know its not going to be easy,but i just feel its something i have to do. i dont know how to explain it,but i do.i could always go back home to cuba but i cant bring my dog there and the salary there is absolute peanuts.im talking 20$USD per month. although i live with my family there,so the expenses are shared. well see. im a positive person and i think i could do.ive been around alone,im not scared and i know itll take time and patience.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
gatita_fiera said:
.i would bring her everywhere with me,she goes where i go.shes my baby!i just had her weighed in,shes only 98lbs actually! hehe... she used to be a police dog,i like her for protection! and comfort! i dont like living alone. shes never been cooped up and nor do i plan on leaving her boxed in.im not like that. .
Do you expect to bring her to work with you?

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
if i could i would! well see.depending on what i wind up doing.i have a job offer at a farm,which would be great for her and me.i could bring her there.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
gatita_fiera said:
if i could i would! well see.depending on what i wind up doing.i have a job offer at a farm,which would be great for her and me.i could bring her there.
I take back the 8000 pesos/month estimate of what you would make as a hotel worker. As a farm worker, expect less than half of that.

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
i meant farm work as in at a stable there.i myself have 22 horses so thats my business. i dont mean pulling weeds out from the ground and planting veggies.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
gatita_fiera said:
i meant farm work as in at a stable there.i myself have 22 horses so thats my business. i dont mean pulling weeds out from the ground and planting veggies.
Unless they make you the boss, you'll be making the same as if you were pulling weeds and planting veggies.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
Carina,
I have someone who manages my rental property who lives in POP. She collects my rent, ensures that the utilities are paid and takes care of any emergency. When I arrive we reconcile the books. I know a lot of other people who do this. What is unusual about that sitaution??

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
BostonMary, if that is fine with you, I have absolutely no opinion.
I just said it is unusual for people that just have an apt to rent it out.
I know of no one, but it doesn?t mean it doesn?t exist.
I don?t think it is very common though, also not due to the laws for renting here, as it can be extremely hard to get rid of a renter.. i.e contracts are allowed to be prolonged, without contracts you are zero chances as well as a house owner.
etc etc
But each to their own.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Horse ranch in POP?
There is one, Lorilar. They have 85 horses and sell excursions, that are splendid.
Although sale of excursion you would get a commission.
Working at the ranch, would pay you 3000-4000 pesos monthly.