Freezing aguacates (avocados) question.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
As you all know, this is the trailing end of avocados season and the big fat ones are riping on the trees. I personally don't care to eat the huge fats ones but now that they have riped almost to perfection, I may use them for making guacamole. I have been giving away my avodacos to my friends but now I am comtemplating with a new idea, freezing them.
last night (out of boredom) I took 5 huge fat riped avocados and cut them up in pieces and then crushed them to make a puree (like guacamole) then I added some lime juice in it to conserve the natural color. Then I packed them tightly in zip lock bags and froze them solid in my freezer. Now I picked another 15 super huge avocados and hopefully do the same to them. My question is this. Has anyone ever tried this method and had positive results? My main intentions are to make my own guacamoles in the future from the frozen puree. has anyone made guacamole from this method and had success? I don't want to be wasting avacados and my time freezing them. Please give input.
AZB

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I looked in my cookbooks and called my mom (she is a home economics teacher) and all of them recommend that you do not freeze avocadoes.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I would try to make the guacamole with a little extra lime or lemon juice and freeze that in a plastic container with no space for air. I've tried all methods, but never had success in freezing avocados. With lime or lemon juice, the result is a nice green watery mess with no taste. We're going to have a wake in this house when the last avocado disappears from the tree. Non-avocado and non-mango season should not exist!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
A lot of info .........

........if you do a google search on "freezing avocado's".......One thing I saw in many places was not to use lemon or lime when freezing....

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Aftab, the use of lime/lemon tends to stop the 'browning' process if you put the open avocados in the refridgerator for a day or two - I am unsure if this would work if avocados were put in the freezer.
May I suggest a form of avocado puree for those who enjoy light sweets or pallet cleansers during meals? Add some Yogurt to avocados, lime & sugar & whisk. Add more lime or sugar to taste (or something stronger in alcoholic content if prefered!!). THIS should surely freeze well! ~ GWB.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I hate it when people give me google links. I want personal experiences not internet search results. I have done my research too and yes, I also look up google. usually when people do their own experiments they always come up with better methods than what is shown in cook books. I simply wanted to learn little tweaks in the process that the esperts in cook books don't tell you.
I will have my results in near future.
Grahame, thanks for the tip, I usually use sour cream when I make my guacamole but yogurt sounds quite appealing.
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ball Mason Jars my friend.
Seals the air and moisture out.
If it works on homemade Humous, it'll work on Guac'.

bestforless

Sep 22, 2003
Up here in Canada you can buy frozen Guacamole from Mexico, Its got a nice colour and good taste, (like fresh)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know what people are saying but all the internet research shows that I must add lemon or lime to preserve the color and if frozen tight the guacamole comes out fresh even after 5 months. its not recommended to freeze a whole or even cut avocado, must be in puree form to freeze properly.
AZB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Aguacate con agrio picante

I like my avocados chopped, not too ripe, and marinated in 'agrio picante'. 'Agrio picante' is a typical Dominican hot sauce. My own recipe for 'agrio' includes a cup of at least two varieties of wild hot peppers, half a cup of fresh garlic cloves, two or so branches/w leaves of fresh oregano, and about two and half cups of fresh bitter orange juice (ask for a variety called locally as 'naranja agria'). Inside a sieve, boiling water is poured over the destemed peppers and pealed garlic cloves. The bitter orange juice is taken to a full boil and left to cool to room temperature. After which, all the ingredientes are placed inside a bottle. Three holes in the cap makes for easy sprinkling. I read recently that 'naranja agria' has medicinal properties.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Anyone know what the commercially frozen guacamole uses as a preservative?

Somewhere along the line I believe I read that ground avocado peel is mixed in, to take advantage of the peel's natural preservative properties.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow, is this the famous "Guacamole" thread????
AZB so what happened to your experiment??

btw: I made some delicious guacamole the other day, you must use those smaller less watery avocadoes, here in the states the 'hass' avocado is the best, the large ones contain too much water and no flavor. I added chopped onions, cilantro, tomatoes, salt and lime juice, mmmm delicious, I fried some corn tortillas and made a delicious salsa and I had a "fiesta" lol.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay Dios miooooooooooooo!!..

Add ground vitamin C? Or make gelato, instead!

AVOCADO GELATO Recipe at Epicurious.com
Margaret, mi cielo, what have you doooooooone?.

Now that "smart alley" is going to be bragging that he got 3 more post on this stupid thread.

May God have mercy on our souls, hahahahahahaha.

Ps: No, this is not the NOW famous "Guacamole" thread, this is part 1. The other, "Frozen Guacamole update" is the "famous" one. The other, if I am not mistaken, received 2 or 3 posts. This is as bad, though!!.

But don't worry, he has a truck-load of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 posts threads all over the place, but NOTHING worse than the "Guacamole update" one, whahahahahahahahaha!!.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My frozen guacamole experiment was a flop. The frozen guacamole became gooie after 2 months in freezer.
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
me estas tomando el pelo

My frozen guacamole experiment was a flop. The frozen guacamole became gooie after 2 months in freezer.
AZB

this is not what you say in the other "guacamole" thread
here is the quote

"Now after 2 months, I left the bags out untill all the puree thawed. I then added celantro, chopped onions, garlic, tomatoes, sweet chopped peppers and salt. Mixed it all up and got myself delicious fresh tasting guacamole. So folks, the experiment was a total success. Forget what google says on the net, I have just proved it."
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yup, that was my only tiny victory. Then the next batch, it was all rotten in freezer. It didn't survive the freezer storage. I think the guacamole paste will stay preserved good if you eat it within 2 month.
AZB