Getting to Occidental Jack Tar from STI

kzzk

Dec 17, 2005
Hello All,

Your board has sooo much information! And really friendly & helpful members, too... Can't wait to roam the countryside.

We are flying into STI Friday. How can we get to our hotel w/o losing our shirts to the taxi? I've seen some mention of bus lines; how do we get to them in Santiago from the airport? And do they go to the hotel?

We do have a ride form POP; does it make sense to go there & take the ride? We're open to any suggestions!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
How many people are you. You will have to take a taxi from STI to the bus then bus to Puerto Plata. You probably can get a taxi for $50 from the airport.
Here is a post by Hillbilly:
Here is your solution:
You email palomalinda0890@hotmail.com
You give them your arrival time and flight number
You make a deal with them to pick you up and take you to RIU
It will cost you about $50 bucks-door to door
Roc?o has just had a baby, but I am sure that her husband JJ will take excellent care of you. He speaks very good English and , of course so does she.

The RIU hotel is a bit closer but not much.

kzzk

Dec 17, 2005
muchas gracias!

There are two of us.

Once we catch the bus, does it come right to the hotel???

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
kzzk said:
muchas gracias!

There are two of us.

Once we catch the bus, does it come right to the hotel???
No, it goes to downtown Puerto Plata, you'll need to take another taxi from there. That's why the taxi Hillbilly recommends above is a bit more money, but alot easier.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I used the driver Hillbilly suggested to go from STI to Sosua. The trip was more like a sightseeing tour. JJ, the driver, made several stops for picture taking. I had never had coconut milk, so JJ pulled over and treated me to a coconut from one of the locals in one of the small towns in the mountains.

All in all you can't go wrong with JJ. His prices are in line with the taxis at the airport but I think it would be difficult to get a driver as nice as JJ.

kzzk

Dec 17, 2005
We're here, thanks to Hillbilly's referral. JJ was fabulous. We stopped for cerveza, though. that quart of Presidente had me brimming by the time we finished our LEISURELY drive thru the mountains to Puerto Plata.

Thanx to all for your help. Mebbe see some of y'all!

Phil & Kay

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Hillbilly...I called your gal...and her rates quoted were "way higher" than the low ball rates priviously quoted on dr1...what up with that?

$70 to sosua???? I just figured I'd cut out the middle man and fly directly into POP!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
oldhippy said:
Hillbilly...I called your gal...and her rates quoted were "way higher" than the low ball rates priviously quoted on dr1...what up with that?

$70 to sosua???? I just figured I'd cut out the middle man and fly directly into POP!
Gee, is $70 to Sosua "way higher" than the $50 quoted to the RIU located on the near side of Cofresi?????

I just figured I'd cut out the middle man and fly directly into POP!
And how much do you plan to spend to get from POP (airport) to Sosua?

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
It also matters when your flight arrives. If yours is the 04:30 a.m. jetBlue arrival, all the taxis charge a premium for the trip over the mountains in the dead of night. May or may not apply to you but it could help explain the "way higher" quote.

Gregg

tropical

Nov 20, 2004
www.facebook.com
taxi rates

oldhippy said:

Oldhippy...I'd suggest you learn the geography of the Island to see where each town is located & why prices vary depending on where you're going. As I recall, after you whined about the price I tried to help & lowered the price to $60(since we understand that some clients are less fortunate than others when it comes to how much money they have to spend on vacation) also w/us you are getting superb service w/stops if you wish & a knowledgable driver that speaks English for a very reasonable price. Thanks to all whom have used our service & support us.

JJ/Rocio

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
tropical said:
Oldhippy...I'd suggest you learn the geography of the Island to see where each town is located & why prices vary depending on where you're going. As I recall, after you whined about the price I tried to help & lowered the price to $60(since we understand that some clients are less fortunate than others when it comes to how much money they have to spend on vacation) also w/us you are getting superb service w/stops if you wish & a knowledgable driver that speaks English for a very reasonable price. Thanks to all whom have used our service & support us.

JJ/Rocio
Oldhippy may have been experiencing flashbacks to prices from the 1960's.