Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default long term car rental

Ok, how does it work for renting a car long term? Am I better off going to a dealer? Or just buying some 2nd hand lil suv? I would need a minimum of a 6month rental,and i would only assume that places like Avis would charge and arm and a leg.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Math would go like this

Quote Originally Posted by gatita_fiera
    Ok, how does it work for renting a car long term? Am I better off going to a dealer? Or just buying some 2nd hand lil suv? I would need a minimum of a 6month rental,and i would only assume that places like Avis would charge and arm and a leg.
    Avis would want your soul as well as all your families arms and legs.

I can only relate to the North Coast because thats what I am familar with.

I am fairly confident for a six month Rental I could pull of the following.

A local Sosua Rental company / an older Susuki Sidekick or similar / total cost per day including Insurance of $15. For six months math would be.

15 x 30 = 450 x 6 = 2700

Compare that to all the hassles of getting a vehicle in the D.R. The loss which one would expect to take on selling it etc. Not a bad looking deal I feel.

Thats depending on the $15 a day figure of course but that could be done with a perfectly adequate vehicle I believe.

I strongly recommend an SUV. The 4 x 4 aspect is very handy, it could even be a safety factor in getting you out from a situation where you might otherwise be stuck were you in a regular car.

Exploring the country side and the coast line is my favourite thing to do.

Kiwi Bruce

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

which car rental places in Sosua are offering car rental at $15 per day including insurance?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

ya i would definately need a suzuki or something. 15$/day sounds reasonable. so who do i contact upon my arrival in the RD?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am not day dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by daydream
    which car rental places in Sosua are offering car rental at $15 per day including insurance?
    I was not day dreaming with the $15 a day I don't believe. I certainly didn't say anybody was offering that. Negotiation is the key to any purchase in the D.R.

You put $2700 in front of the right guy ( the owner ) at the right rental company that I have used and I think he would take it from my experience with him.

They were a damn good company to deal with I found. As well as being a Dominican company.

Kiwi Bruce

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwicanuck
    I was not day dreaming with the $15 a day I don't believe. I certainly didn't say anybody was offering that. Negotiation is the key to any purchase in the D.R.

You put $2700 in front of the right guy ( the owner ) at the right rental company that I have used and I think he would take it from my experience with him.

They were a damn good company to deal with I found. As well as being a Dominican company.

Kiwi Bruce
    For your $15/day do you really think he is providing you with any liability coverage. Besides the valid license question. He probably secured a big deductable for the vehicle with a credit card? As far as liability, Have an accident and go chase the insurance to cover you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwicanuck

Kiwi Bruce
    I was not implying that you were daydreaming btw - I was just interested in finding out which car rental company you are refering to.

And yes, negotiation is definietly the name of the game in the DR

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Money talks and Dominicans respect that

Quote Originally Posted by gatita_fiera
    ya i would definately need a suzuki or something. 15$/day sounds reasonable. so who do i contact upon my arrival in the RD?
    If you PM or email me I will send you the contact information. I have no connection to this business and myself was referred to it by a long time expat in Sosua.

One of the first things one hears when first in the D.R. is how many people often declare "I have no interest or connection to this business".

This is I believe because so many people have the ulterior motive of promoting business they have an interest in (and why wouldn’t they). The person genuinely trying to be helpful and give you the benefit of his experience does not want you to think that of them.

I think it would be a good time to devise an acronym that would be helpful, especially on these boards.

N.I.I.T.B (no interest in this business)

Probably a more creative member on here can come up with a better one. (the good ones have a rhyme to them)

Kiwi Bruce

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Narc

Never a Referral Commission

Of course, many people might wonder if you may be involved in something else!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default That got a good laugh

Quote Originally Posted by abe
    Never a Referral Commission
    Of course, many people might wonder if you may be involved in something else!
    Narc is pretty good altho the other connatation may cause a problem like you suggest Abe.

I had to read the "people might wonder if you may be involved in something else" twice before I got it and laughed. Must be slow this morning, lol.

Kiwi Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast