Peso's or american dollars best for bargaining?

CanadianPhil

Nov 29, 2005
I want to get a bunch of small bills from the bank here for when I go down to the DR.
Best to bargain with shop owners, rental places, etc with peso's or american dollars?

Other places I have been, I have found it handy to pick up 500 american $1 bills before I go. Should I do that, or get a bunch of dominican peso's?

Thanks,
Phil

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
No definite answer possible

CanadianPhil said:
I want to get a bunch of small bills from the bank here for when I go down to the DR.
Best to bargain with shop owners, rental places, etc with peso's or american dollars?

Other places I have been, I have found it handy to pick up 500 american $1 bills before I go. Should I do that, or get a bunch of dominican peso's?

Thanks,
Phil

I think the answer to your question would go something like this.

More expensive items definitely US dollars are best.

Less expensive Items probably Pesos are best.

Getting a good supply of small denomination Pesos notes can be very hard to come across I found.

Kiwi Bruce

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
CanadianPhil said:
Probably pesos. But you cold always bargain in pesos and pay in dollars.
CanadianPhil said:
Other places I have been, I have found it handy to pick up 500 american $1 bills before I go.
What do you plan on buying that you need 500 $1 bills?
CanadianPhil said:
Should I do that, or get a bunch of dominican peso's?
It is almost always better to change your US dollars (not CN dollars) to pesos in the DR.

CanadianPhil

Nov 29, 2005
Just general travelling around. Eating, drinking, minor shopping etc.

Every day, just pull 30 $1's out of the safe and head out...
Works great.
Then you can decide what you are willing to pay for something and hold out that much. If you want to pay $3 for something and you pull out a $20 then they are going to try and take more of your money than if you hold out $3 and say take it or leave it.

Phil

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why not blend in and use The Local Currency.
Or carry a HUGE sign on your forehead that says , "I am a GRINGO" and wanna use another country's currency!

Change a hundred USD into RD pesos upon arrival in the country, and you will be ok, take a deep breath.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Have you been there (the DR) before? I can't imagine running around with a mittful of US$1's and expect to get leverage with that strategy. If you want to pay $3 (or about RD$100) then haggle to that price and then pay. I doubt showing them you actually have $3 is going to tip the scales.

And for bars, food, mercados and most everything else but beach vendors there is not much haggling to be done.

Also, note trying to buy DR pesos before you leave is a terrible plan - you may pay as much as 50% more than they are worth, the remaining 50% taken care of if you came back and try to sell them back. Buy pesos in the DR at cambios. Don't bring CDN$ either buy US in Canada then buy pesos with the US.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I guess you'll pay $10 for a 300 peso item then since nobody is going to give you the change.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
A big adjustment to using cash

I have found on my trips I bring US travelers Cheques to cover the big dollar items like hotel and car rental etc. I bring also 4 or 5 hundred US Dollars in cash to cover emergencies. I then get all my daily money from the Bank machines as I have ALWAYS found that the rate I am charged is extremely competitive when I get home and compare it. It is so much less hassle this way. I do use a Mastercard that takes the money directly out of my Chequing account so I don't incur any 'credit card' fees.

In North America we are now so accustomed to using one form or another of plastic now that it is quite an adjustment to be using cash so much as it is in the D.R.

The paper money is so flimsy it is hard to keep organized in a wallet I find. Small denomination notes are hard to come by which is frustrating. If one doesn't have 'smaller' notes then its a non stop hassle with the motoconcho guys or the parking guys etc when you are driving a car.

Is the 5 pesos coin the largest denomination coin they have, largest I saw.

Kiwi Bruce

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Kiwicanuck said:
Is the 5 pesos coin the largest denomination coin they have, largest I saw.

Kiwi Bruce
About 6 months ago it was reported that a contract had been approved for a 10, 25 and 50 peso coin to be minted (Dominican coins are minted in Canada). Nothing seen yet. (I'm sure that the Coca-Cola vending machines will instantly increase from 20 pesos to 25 when the 25 peso coin becomes available).

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Upon arrival, make sure the Cambio or Bank gives you a few hundred RD Pesos in 10's and 20's. I have never had a problem getting small Peso notes.

Granted, nobody ever has change!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ricktoronto said:
Have you been there (the DR) before? I can't imagine running around with a mittful of US$1's and expect to get leverage with that strategy. If you want to pay $3 (or about RD$100) then haggle to that price and then pay. I doubt showing them you actually have $3 is going to tip the scales.

I was thinking the same, Rick. It sounds like he thinks the people here are ignorant of the ways of the world.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
CanadianPhil said:

Thanks,
Phil

Just bring American dollars and have a friend from their exchange for you... due to they probably will get a better rate.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
CanadianPhil said:
Just general travelling around. Eating, drinking, minor shopping etc.

Every day, just pull 30 $1's out of the safe and head out...
Works great.
Then you can decide what you are willing to pay for something and hold out that much. If you want to pay $3 for something and you pull out a $20 then they are going to try and take more of your money than if you hold out $3 and say take it or leave it.
Phil

I guess the issue is that you do not speak Spanish? or perhaps just a little? Anyway, it is a better strategy to leave your money in your pocket and agree on a price first. If you go around holding out a few bucks each time, folks will soon figure out that you do not know what you're doing. And don't try this in a restaurant. They may well call the tourist police on you for not wanting to pay.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
And with 500 US$1's in your pocket you will sit on a 45 degree angle at the bar and they will think you are drunk as well as a really strange gringo with this silly $1 bit.

CanadianPhil

Nov 29, 2005
Thanks for the help from those that gave it.

Some of you are being extremly silly, and need to find more to do - you obviously have too much time on your hands if you have nothing better to do than bother me...

I will just settle with dominican money, and american 20's.

Phil