health care in DR

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
Am i getting annoying yet? I'm known to have a horrible immune system and i always get sick. How is the health care? Is it free? How does it work for non-dominicans? I have a tumor in my liver so i need to get ct scans monthly,and i able to continue that in the DR? thanks guys! just tell me to shutup whenever....i know im full of questions!sorry!:lick:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Health care in the Dominican Republic is expensive unless you have insurance the medics/hospital will take. Or unless you are admitted to a public hospital emergency room or visit a public hospital, where the quality of the service will be lacking in most cases. It is unlikely they will take you in a public hospital if you look like you can pay. If you have health problems, it is best that you not move to the DR unless you have insurance that covers these problems here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As Dolores has said, it is expensive.

That said, such services as you may need are available in Santiago and Santo Domingo.

I would not come here with serious health issues, unless your health insurance will cover the expenses.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Like Hillbilly said, you can get the services you need in Santo Domingo and Santiago.

If you have insurance in the US, keep it because with your condition you are unlikely to get it here. Check with insurance company to see if they pay direct or if you must pay and submit claims for reimbursement.

Regarding price, to say it is very expensive here without knowing what you are paying now is not a good way to respond to your question. If you live on the local economy it seems expensive, but compared to what you pay for somethings in the US, for example, it isn't. My wife, for example, recently had a hip replacement that cost much less than would have been charged in the US.

Your question about cost can't be properly addressed without knowing what you are paying there for the monthly CT scans

Sep 19, 2005
I would think getting a really good insurance plan either through work or on your own is just as important in the DR if not more so than the us. But I have taken my GF to the emergency room twice and I have gone into see a doctor myself in Santiago. I felt the fee was cheap. My doctor office visit was about 900 pesos. The emergency visit for my gf in Sosua was about 1500 pesos but she had an IV while there. I will say that the medicines were very exspensive. I mean we have heard here on the site that some optional drugs like the calias substitue is super cheap, but I paid over 4500 pesos for two prescriptions in Santiago at the phamacy in the emergency care building there. So who knows. If they figure you REALLY need it, they just keep the price high. an office visit in america costs me $20 as a COPAY...who knows what the doctors really charges.

bob

gatita_fiera

Dec 16, 2005
i dont pay for anything,im a canadian citizen,our health care is free.i was told to go to blue cross or something and get medical insurance from them.im wondering what that covers though.i hate the cold,ive never spent a whole winter here before.ive always gone to cuba to stay with my family,but this year i wanted to try the RD.i really want to go,but if i cant get my monthlys i doubt my doctor will give me permission to leave.ill find a way.im a determined lil one!:lick:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
gatita_fiera, if you have free medical care in Canada, then you should stay there. Every health insurance company that I have ever used or heard of, both in the US and in the DR, do not cover pre-existing conditions. In other words, if you are lucky to find somebody who will insure you, the coverage will be for new problems that develop in the future. It will not cover you for problems related to your present condition.

Don't think you can lie on your application and hide the fact you have this problem. It will be found out sooner or later, and there may be serious consequences for you.

You have a serious health problem and you have free medical care, Learn to enjoy the snow and the cold.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I will say that the medicines were very exspensive. I mean we have heard here on the site that some optional drugs like the calias substitue is super cheap, but I paid over 4500 pesos for two prescriptions in Santiago at the phamacy in the emergency care building there.
Generally the pharmacies have a generic version of most medications; they even have some generics that are not available in the US. Next time, ask if they have a generic version.