What has been Your experience flying Spirit Air into DR?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
What has been Your experience flying Spirit Air into DR?Spiritair is offering very cheap flights to Santo Domingo and Punta cana and friends are contemplating flying them..Are they any good?what has youre experience been like?
Thanks

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I've flown them twice. No problem either time. On the way back, I upgraded to their Business Class seats for only $35. A super bargain, and sooooo roomy.

May 31, 2005
When my family and I took a trip in April I was flying AA with a connection in San Juan. My flight got there at 5. My brother, his girlfriend, and my mom were flying on Spirit from Fort Lauerdale and their plane got there at 10:00 something in the evening. My other brother went to pick me up at the airport and we were going to go drop my things at home and then come back for them in the evening. It turns out that only one of my suitcases fit into the propeller airplane that flyes from San Juan to Santo Domingo and I had to wait for my other suitcase that was coming in the 7:00 pm. flight. We decided that it would not be wise to wait for the suitcase at 7 something, drive home, and then come back at 10:00 because we live about 45 minutes from the airport. We decided to wait for them. My suitcase showed up at around 7:40. We then saw that it was 10 something and their plane still did not land. I asked one of the employees at the airport and he said that this particular flight is delayed 80% of the time. The plane landed a little after midnight. That was back in April. Hopefully things have changed now.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
We've flown Spirit from 'Likkerdale to Santo Domingo several times each way and have not had a problem or a delay, even connecting from Orlando which is where we usually start/end our trips as we still have a home in Daytona Beach (in addition to our hotel here in the DR). We've also got a friend who owns property here in Las Galeras and who also has been a pilot with Spirit for some years now. It was at his constant urging that Spirit considered and eventually adopted the SD route (and now extending service to other parts of the DR). Talking with him and experiencing their service I feel that Spirit has their act together for a relatively small, independant airline.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Have flown with Spirit MANY times this year, (much cheaper than AA) and never had any problems...

They have beautiful planes, with leather seats, very comfy.

Now with AA, 4 times the flights were delayed because their connecting flights from Chicago were late or some other excuse...and the prices are outrageous!!!

I have flown Spirit for $180 R/T...they are coming back at that price in Jan. 2006!!!

Yeah!!! :)

MQ

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
I've used them out of Fort Lauderdale to SDQ 9 times since July, never a problem, but i live in Miami and sometimes the difference isn't worth it so i end up taking AA from MIA.