Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We started this tradition many years before Rocky's ever existed, and
it used to be a mobile champagne party, driving around Sosua with my 5 ton
veggie truck.
As the years went by, people actually phoned me ahead of time, to
reserve a seat in the back, and the party got bigger & bigger each year, just
driving around, blasting good music and sharing champagne with whomever we chose to.
When I started Rocky's, I didn't want to commercialize the event, so I
just dug deeper into my pockets to buy more champagne and gave it out for
free, to the patrons, as well as on the "champagne runs".
One of the things that struck me, was how many kids wanted to
participate and have a drink, so it inspired me to start buying presents for the kids.
I suppose that would have been 5 or 6 years ago.
Anyhow, I would purchase toys and dolls, etc, and colour code the
wrapping paper to identify which presents were for boys, girls or toddlers.
As time went on, some friends & family offered to chip in.
Last year, we had 125 bottles of champagne & 550 presents.
Now, I got to tell you... When you pull up to a poor barrio, before
midnight on New Year's Eve, and there's no electricity, so our convoy of
vehicles lights up the area, and the kids come running out, knocking on their
neighbours doors to come & join us, and we all stand around sharing
champagne with our Dominican brethren, and giving gifts to the kids,
there is nothing in the whole world that even starts to compare to it.
As Apostropheman said,
apostropheman said:
ah, the "champagne run"! i was there for it last year and it was the highlight of my trip...my year really!
If that's not something different, nothing is.
You have to be there to believe it, and I would certainly be glad if
any of you decided to join us.
We have a supper first, that we call the "Last Supper", usually steak,
potatoes & salad, along with home made pies & cakes, then as the evening
progresses, we get the convoy going, and usually do a couple of runs.
Although we now charge 20 bucks at the door, it includes the supper dessert, champagne and an open bar 'till 2 AM.
The only reason we started charging, was that it was getting too big
and we were attracting a bit of rifraf.
It's by far the biggest party in Sosua, and IMHO, the best darn party
on Earth.
Regards, Marco.
PS: For more on the subject, see http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45978
Anyone who would like to contribute to buying more Christmas presents for the kids, may PM or e-mail me.
Thank you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Rocky said:
The only reason we started charging, was that it was getting too big
and we were attracting a bit of rifraf.
Every party needs a bit of rifraf, count me in.

A

apostropheman

Picture020.jpg

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good Job...

apostropheman said:
Thanks, apostropheman.
I couldn't get that pic in, for love or money.
Anyhow, this is how many presents we have under the tree so far, although there are another 50 or so yet to be wrapped.
Looks like we just might beat last year's record of 550.
Thanks to everybody who contributed.
Regards, Marco.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Christmas gifts

I used to do something similiar down boca chica way. All year bought , begged and found presents for the children as well as baby formulas, etc for the mom's. We would use the lobby of a small hotel and all the children- hundreds and hundreds of them- would come for a gift and juice and a special food treat such as pizza or hot dog on a stick. It was amazing! But, after awhile I realized that in no time the toy was lost, broken, stolen, or forgotten and that the Semana de le Ninos the following week, where every piece of junk rejected by Taiwan was sold at top dollar on the streets, tended to dampen the attempt. So, now I give money to people like Diane and Tom , from The Brittania Pub where every $35.00 dollars sends a child to school for a year. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish.......
Still, a very nice thing to do. Sorry I will miss it. John

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
New Year's eEve

Ladybird said:
I'll be there Marco with some presents, is it at your place? what time? Do you need extra help I can come earlier if you want help. Is HB going to be Father Christmas?
The party starts at 8 PM, and anyone who wants to drop off gifts can do so anytime, and we will wrap them.
If you wrap them yourselves, please use blue for boys, red for girls and any other colour for toddlers.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hy Wud,
I think it would be nice in the media gallery, if you think so yourself.
I just felt it might be inspiring for those who are not yet in the Christmas spirit.
Some newly arrived expats, have trouble getting into the mood, without the cold and the snow.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I wish I could be there! Sounds like a great time. I'd love to ride on the back of a truck. . . . spreading holiday cheer. Of course for champagne I prefer chateau Presidente. I'd love to shoot some video of it and start a page on my site for Dominican Charities. Let people see what the charity is all about etc.
If anybody shoots video of the champagne runs etc. . . .let me know!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rafael said:
Of course for champagne I prefer chateau Presidente.
You can bring Chateau anything with you on the Champagne runs. It is, after all, open bar.
Champagne just happens to be what we offer to our Dominican Brethren, as it has a special class about it, that makes the event that much more special.
rafael said:
If anybody shoots video of the champagne runs etc. . . .let me know!
I'm sure there will be those who will be taking pics, and with a bit of luck, some may have modern Digicams that have video capacity.
We'll let you know what we have, once we get over our hangovers.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Wud

Hlywud said:
Posted in the gallery
As the pile keeps getting bigger, I might send you 1 more, before we go out and distribute them.
I overheard one of the employees telling another, who was wrapping the presents, to stop piling them up so high, as they were burying the tree, and I blurted out, "Go ahead" "Bury the tree".
I love it!!!
The beauty about doing it this way, is that every single pesos spent, goes straight to the kids.
The only wastage is in the wrapping paper, and what's a Christmas present without wrapping paper?
Once again, I would like to thank those who have joined in to help buy so many gifts, and I would like to make it clear, that it all goes to the presents.
So far, 63,373 pesos had been spent on gifts & paper, and some folks have brought over presents that they purchased themselves.
The champagne is a whole other thing and comes from a different source.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That Million Dollar Moment.

Today's probably the last day we'll be running to POP for a bit more wrapping paper and a few more gifts.
Alanindr, a new friend, James & I went out on Christmas Eve, through Charamicos with a back seat full of presents, being careful not to stop anywhere with large crowds, for fear of being swamped.
The very first little girl we found, cute as a button, probably 5 years old, was standing in front of her house on the sidewalk with her mother.
As James offered her a gift, she looked at us with starry eyes and said, "Parami?" with a surprised grateful innocence.
A few "Feliz Navidads" were exchanged, and she kept saying gracias with a smile that could melt your heart.
As we were about to leave, we noticed her older brother standing there, perhaps 8 or 9 years old, expecting him to blurt out, "what about me?", but he didn't, he seemed happy for his sister and had more class than half the people you meet in your lifetime.
James quickly found a blue wrapped present for him, some more "Feliz Navidads" and a couple more "Gracias'", and we were on our way, to look for more kids.
What a blast.