I received a lot of pity from my fellow Dominicans

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Okay,

As you all know my last trip to DR was filled with surprises and headaches as mentioned before. One thing that I have not written about is how my fellow Dominicans perceived me. I have a finca and the reason why I bought it, although I am a city slicker, was because I love the country life. Everyday I would get up around 6:30 AM, put on my work clothes and head towards the finca. I would come back in mid afternoon, dirty, sweaty, smelly and basically exhausted carrying viveres (platanos, guineos y rulos) and oranges on my back. This generated pity and disbelief from the locals and my wife's family. They looked at me as if I was crazy, and would say pobrecito so and so.... Afterall, to them I have it easy in the USA and don't need to burry myself in a campo. I received more outsbursts from them after I began using my Sport Trac to work in "el Campo" carrying rocks to fill the puddles on the road. They would say "esa camioneta esta muy linda y buena para que tu la tenga metia en ese campo cargando piedras...tu 'ta loco muchacho o te faltan 2 tornillos' (That pickup truck is too nice for you too be using it in the country carrying rocks...are you crazy or are your missing two screws in your head) . I just shrugged and laughted. I can't believe everyone thought I was going mad.... the "vagos" were having a blast, laughing as they played dominoes and drank beer. Man what a culture.

Jun 5, 2004
Dominicans (in DR) think that in NY you pick up the money from the floor and when they come here they realize that it is not the case. Sometimes us Dominicans which come from NY do this to have funa nd to enjoy the campo life. They ignorantly thinking o my god look he comes from NY where they have cash all over the place and look at what he is doing. My personal comment would be que se jo*&$ because they dont feed you.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
A few years I visited my friend's chicken farm in Sti and it was time to pick up feed. We went to the mill (or whatever the place is called that sells the feed) and the guys loaded up the truck with tons of feed in sacks. When we got to the farm I decided I would pitch in and unload the truck. Well, I worked like crazy lifting those heavy sacks out of the truck and carrying them into the huge coop with all the chickens.

The other farm hands looked at me like I was crazy and my friend called me a dick and said why do you think I pay these guys 800 pesos/week? I have to dig up that picture of me after I was finished.