Gov't aid to the poor: Christmas basket of cheer...

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I was disappointed to learn that this year's government basket of cheer contains - along with rice beans, oil & other foodstuffs - rum and other alcohol. I'm against that because it's in conflict with the obstensible purpose of the exercise. Those baskets (cardboard boxes really) are supposed to give the poor relief during the holiday season. The booze only worsens their plight.

It would be very hypocritical of me to come out against drinking. I feel that the traditional practice of distributing booze to disadvantged citizens is part and parcel of the oligarchy's scheme to maintain control.

I value other opinions...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
arturo said:
I feel that the traditional practice of distributing booze to disadvantged citizens is part and parcel of the oligarchy's scheme to maintain control.

I value other opinions...
I think you may be reaching a little bit there but definately agree with you that alcohol should not have been included in the 'baskets'. More foods and other necessities should have been added instead.

How can children benefit from the inclusion of alcohol? What if the adult recipients happen not to drink? Etc...

Besides, it does send the wrong message. Doesn't it?

Larry

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
I think the reason for that is to discourage the recipients from exchanging the entire basket for booze at the local colmado. This way since they already got the alcohol they are less tempted to exchange the food item for alcohol. Just a theory!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
People people people,

Alcohol is a acceptable "gift" for the holidays, it's a cultural thing, so please accept this!

Besides, some companies (ie. Leon Jimenes group which produces Presidente, Barcelo, Bohemia, Malta India, cigars Arturo Fuentes, etc) have very good campaigns on a nationwide scale of morals, a good work ethic, responsibility, etc for the general population. This is especially true in many of their advertisement and their slogan "por una mejor nacion".

The Brugal family has also been engage in another form of helping the nation, the most obvious are the signs all over the country, which without them you would never know in what town you were driving through!

For more info on the Grupo Leon Jimenes respectable campaign towards a better nation, click here:

Once you are in the web site, click on responsabilidad social. Read the paragraphs, then click on either contribucion economica, or compromiso social, or mercadeo responsable to learn about each of those issues.

Also, for online videos of some of their responsible contribution to the republic, click on Galeria Multimedia visible on the top of the web page. There you will be able to click on the videos either on Microsoft media player or macintosh.

http://www.glj.com.do/

-NAL

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Nal0whs said:
People people people,

Alcohol is a acceptable "gift" for the holidays, it's a cultural thing, so please accept this!

Besides, some companies (ie. Leon Jimenes group which produces Presidente, Barcelo, Bohemia, Malta India, cigars Arturo Fuentes, etc) have very good campaigns on a nationwide scale of morals, a good work ethic, responsibility, etc for the general population. This is especially true in many of their advertisement and their slogan "por una mejor nacion".

The Brugal family has also been engage in another form of helping the nation, the most obvious are the signs all over the country, which without them you would never know in what town you were driving through!

For more info on the Grupo Leon Jimenes respectable campaign towards a better nation, click here:

Once you are in the web site, click on responsabilidad social. Read the paragraphs, then click on either contribucion economica, or compromiso social, or mercadeo responsable to learn about each of those issues.

Also, for online videos of some of their responsible contribution to the republic, click on Galeria Multimedia visible on the top of the web page. There you will be able to click on the videos either on Microsoft media player or macintosh.

http://www.glj.com.do/

-NAL
That's all great, but some political hack still decided to include a bottle of rum rather than 5 more pounds of rice.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
let them drink rum

It would be condescending to nix the rum is my belief. Xmas relief is the spirit of the moment. No one believes life will become less harsh for the needy with a few extra pounds of rice. Allow them the day, at least, as if they had earned the right to walk into the nearest colmado and buy it themselves, like other Dominicans.

I was in Santiago yesterday with Escott for many of the staples we include in xmas baskets for some poor families in the area. Yes, we bought rum along with rice, oil, coffee, beans... and of course the cherry chocolates and Hershey's Kisses (sugar's a no-no, right?) And some quite unnecessary but fancy red ribbon and sparkly foil paper.

This year we're recycling, too. Instead of 'baskets', the goods are going into laundry baskets for a second life. Practical, too, because they're darn heavy with 20 pounds of rice each for starters. They'll look campy with that ribbon and foil.

dawnwil

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think we mostly agree with each other

Larry said:
I think you may be reaching a little bit there but definately agree with you that alcohol should not have been included in the 'baskets'. More foods and other necessities should have been added instead.

How can children benefit from the inclusion of alcohol? What if the adult recipients happen not to drink? Etc...

Besides, it does send the wrong message. Doesn't it?

Larry

On the other hand, I don't feel like I was reaching anymore than I would be if I were to complain about the grossly disproportionate amount of liquor and tabacco billboard advertising that used to be all over disadvantaged neighborhoods in the United States back in the 60s and 70s.