Congenital hand surgery for a 7yr. old

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Hi DR1, I could use your help. The 7 year old daughter of my friends girlfriend is in need of congenital hand surgery. Her 3 middle fingers are joined together and if in the states it is an easy operation. I have connections at Mass General Hospital but it will be all but impossible to get the girl to the states. I have done research on plastic surgery in the DR but it has all been for breast, stomack and face. I guess that is where the money is at. I would imagine that the best place to go would be Santo Domingo. I found a place called Centro de Bellas Artes in SD but am wondering if anyone might know of a place in Santiago. Was also wondering if the mother walked in with an ex-pat american if he would jack the price up?

Since the girl is 7 it is important that this gets done ASAP for it should of been done as an infant. I have contacted many US project save the children services but the DR seems low on their list. The girl is in Sosua so Santiago would be a better place for the surgery and follow up rehab. Thanks, Jim

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You might want to investigate the foundation "Healing the Children." They have a doctor in Santo Domingo, Dr. Luis Cuello, who evaluates children for inclusion in the program. In some cases, the surgery is performed in the DR by US medical teams and in other cases the child is transported to the US.

The surgery is free, but laboratory tests, hospital stay and use of the operating room is the responsibility of the family of the patient.

I am in the US right now, but will be returning to the DR within the month. I have Dr. Cuello's address and telephone number on file in my office in Puerto Plata.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Thanks for taking this serious. I land Santiago 1/16 and go to Caribe Campo in Sosua on the 17th. Some at Caribe Campo may know this young girl. Original dad is missing in action and our NYPD temp dad will need to adopt the girl for a 2 parent consent to get her to Boston. Strings can be pulled to cut time for a visa but if there is an ortho/plastic surgeon in the DR with the skills all the better. I will search the internet for Dr. Cuello. Rellosk, thanks for the links. If i do one thing possitive in my life it will be to get this girl a simple operation that will give her the self esteem she deserves. Thanks Jim