Any need for music teacher in Sosua?

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
HI Everyone,

I have been reading the message board for some time and doing LOTS of research about a move from cold Canada to Sosua area. I am a trained music teacher (piano and voice) and would want to set up a small studio in the area. Can anyone speak about whether you think there would be a potential demand for lessons (eg. expat kids, adults, etc) I have also done a great deal of Choral work with Teens here in Canada, so have that skill to bring as well. I have been corresponding with Sylvia from ESO and she is being really helpful. Just wanted to test the water, so to speak before coming to do the "REAL" research.

I have 2 kids (14 and 11) and would love to move to DR for at least a few years. I have been many times and fell in love with the country on my first visit. Oh yeah, my hubby would be coming too ;) Look forward to reading what you have to say.

Maureen

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
maurmcgee said:
HI Everyone,

I have been reading the message board for some time and doing LOTS of research about a move from cold Canada to Sosua area. I am a trained music teacher (piano and voice) and would want to set up a small studio in the area. Can anyone speak about whether you think there would be a potential demand for lessons (eg. expat kids, adults, etc) I have also done a great deal of Choral work with Teens here in Canada, so have that skill to bring as well. I have been corresponding with Sylvia from ESO and she is being really helpful. Just wanted to test the water, so to speak before coming to do the "REAL" research.

I have 2 kids (14 and 11) and would love to move to DR for at least a few years. I have been many times and fell in love with the country on my first visit. Oh yeah, my hubby would be coming too ;) Look forward to reading what you have to say.

Maureen

If you are planning on making your money through private lessons you should work out of Santo Domingo or Santiago. SD would probably be the best market. Lots of xpat kids, english speaking kids and private schools.

Good luck.

Scandall

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
maurmcgee said:
Thanks for the info- what driving distance is it from Sosua to Santiago?
I'm not sure of the actual distance, but it's about 1 to 1.5 hour car-ride.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
!

ive had voice lessons for years and was paying in my country of origin $35 per half hour . To be honest with you, i personally would not pay any more than $15 per hour in the DR, mainly because i have moved here for lower cost of living ect ......and i guess i'll be trying to find it were ever i can!
if you move there stay in touch, im within the local area of sosua!
bi

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Percussion lessons are over $75 an hour in NYC.
I probably get better instruction on the beach for the cost of 2 Family size Presidentes!

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
I can certainly see with the lower cost of living that the hourly cost would not be what it is in the USA or even in Canada (about 20-25 per half hour). I was wondering if the people who are answering me are adults or school aged students, or if any of you have children who would be wanting lessons. I am trying to gauge the demand a bit. I would only want to teach 15-20 hrs a week maximum, but I am also highly qualified and would want to be paid a decent hourly rate.

Really just trying to find out as much as possible...and wanting to make a cultural contribution as well as live in a great spot with great people.

Keep the advice coming- I appreciate it.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
maurmcgee said:
I can certainly see with the lower cost of living that the hourly cost would not be what it is in the USA or even in Canada (about 20-25 per half hour). I was wondering if the people who are answering me are adults or school aged students, or if any of you have children who would be wanting lessons. I am trying to gauge the demand a bit. I would only want to teach 15-20 hrs a week maximum, but I am also highly qualified and would want to be paid a decent hourly rate.

Really just trying to find out as much as possible...and wanting to make a cultural contribution as well as live in a great spot with great people.

Keep the advice coming- I appreciate it.

I am an adult with about 60 kids.

Scandall
*Teacher :)