relocating to Santo Domingo

riccardo

Dec 22, 2005
Hi,

I'm an italian 34 years old guy and my name is Riccardo.
I live in Italy with my wife, a dominican girl;
Within Semptember 2006 we are planning to move to DR and to settle in Santo Domingo for family reasons.
I've already been there and i know good things and bad things too.
Her family lives in the capital and so we have good links.
The reason i'm writing to you is that, to move, the main thing i need is a job of an international standard (payd in dollars or euro) in a european or american company or somewhere else i can find these conditions.
I have a degree, i speak 3 languages (italian, english and spanish).
So...i'd like to receive any kind of useful contacts as names (and contacts as well) of companies operating in the DR or anything else can help me ...
Thanks in advance for your help!!!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
riccardo said:
The reason i'm writing to you is that, to move, the main thing i need is a job of an international standard (payd in dollars or euro) in a european or american company or somewhere else i can find these conditions.
Unless you have a special skill and/or some very good contacts, it is going to be almost impossible to get a job of "international standard".

What kind of work do you do in Italy?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
riccardo said:
Hi,

You probably will have better luck in moving her family to Italy.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
He can get a job of international standard the problem is it is the African part of international on the pay scale.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
indiana16 said:
I suggest you do your homework and investigate don't listen to negative advice
We suggest you do your homework and investigate and listen to negative advice. Ignoring it doesn't change reality.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
School Teacher?

riccardo said:
Hi,

Within Semptember 2006 we are planning to move to DR and to settle in Santo Domingo for family reasons.
So...i'd like to receive any kind of useful contacts as names (and contacts as well) of companies operating in the DR or anything else can help me ...
If you find a company, please share the info. Excluding the jobs foreigners create for themselves, I've only heard of well educated foreigners finding jobs teaching English.

-Helpmann :)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You are so wrong indiana

indiana16 said:
I suggest you do your homework and investigate don't listen to negative advice

What you call negative, might just be realistic.
Living in FantasyLand and not knowing the facts, ain?t gonna help anyone.

The reality here in DR is in real life, work or otherwise, that the culture is built on on networking, networking, networking.
To get a job, any job, that is needed.

As for jobs that pay "international salaries", you would need to have your own and successfull business.
A few more make it, marketing & salesmanagers, directors representing huge international companies, some of the diplomats and some ( very few ) teaching in a handful of schools over the island.
Most of those people have had the connections already at home, and transfered themselves here.

This is not being negative, it is being realistic.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
3 languages degree great start

riccardo said:
Hi,

Don't let nobody fool you... when there is a will there's a way. With your qualifications your 95% above standards for the country number one,also your wife or family coming from their is very beneficial... due to you have a in. Just make friends first.... meanwhile looking for a job in your profession and things will work your way. Best of luck to you and your family.;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
easygoin said:
Don't let nobody fool you... when there is a will there's a way. With your qualifications your 95% above standards for the country number one,also your wife or family coming from their is very beneficial... due to you have a in. Just make friends first.... meanwhile looking for a job in your profession and things will work your way. Best of luck to you and your family.;)

And who is fooling him?
Read the OP question.
He is looking for a job of international standard, i.e pay in euros or us.

That does not mean the ones of us writing about the reality, that we don?t wish him good luck. Of course we do.
But it is still about years of networking, and still maybe not getting an international salary in us or euro.
3 languages is not uncommon among immigrants, and it does not impress many. It all depends on his skills, if they are "demand" and what he knows that is valuable to a company here, that the locals cannot do to a satisfying level for the company.

The reality is that most international salaries, and postitions are ceo and slightly above if we are talking employment, and then of foreign company representation.
The rest is mostly foreigners on project, as even the foreign companies have local employees. You can have only 20 % foreign staff by law as well.

The culture in here is networking, referals and networking again.
Hopefully family have a solid network for a start.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
carina said:
And who is fooling him?
Read the OP question.
He is looking for a job of international standard, i.e pay in euros or us.

That does not mean the ones of us writing about the reality, that we don?t wish him good luck. Of course we do.
But it is still about years of networking, and still maybe not getting an international salary in us or euro.
3 languages is not uncommon among immigrants, and it does not impress many. It all depends on his skills, if they are "demand" and what he knows that is valuable to a company here, that the locals cannot do to a satisfying level for the company.

The reality is that most international salaries, and postitions are ceo and slightly above if we are talking employment, and then of foreign company representation.
The rest is mostly foreigners on project, as even the foreign companies have local employees. You can have only 20 % foreign staff by law as well.

The culture in here is networking, referals and networking again.
Hopefully family have a solid network for a start.

When someone knows three languages and degree is in a great situation first off. I understand he asked for American dollars or euros....but that may not happen right away for him and his family, so you be persistent and make friends in the right places and it will come along for him...... that's all I'm saying.

Some people categorize the DR as being a monster.... to try to make money, that's a ludicrous assumption, due to the fact of laziness and lack of idea to generate currency.

I have seen... there is so much money to be made there, especially my business it's like taking candy from a baby.

This man has a lot going for him.... bottom line.;)