Easter in the DR

Marketgirl

Oct 6, 2005
Hi All

I will be travelling with a team to the DR in early May. We are taking part in an exchange program to learn more about your country, culture, people and businesses. Our exchange starts on the 10th of April and we are hoping to arrive in the DR (port of entry unknown at this point) a couple of days earlier to get over jetlag etc and do some sightseeing before the real work begins.
First question: is finding accommodation over this period due to Easter going to be difficult? There is 5 of us in the team.
Will we have to book now, or already be too late?
Second: What should we expect at this time of the year in the DR? I have spent many hours ready your posts and blogs and from what I can gather Easter is a pretty festive occasion with plenty of celebrations and road accidents. Anything else to add?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Marketgirl said:
First question: is finding accommodation over this period due to Easter going to be difficult? There is 5 of us in the team.
Will we have to book now, or already be too late?
Assuming you will be staying in one of the tourist hubs, you shouldn't have any problems finding accomodations.

Have fun!

Marketgirl

Oct 6, 2005
Thanks Rellosk

I was hoping that would be the case. I know here in Australia accommodation for Easter would already almost be booked out.

Cheers
Nadia

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rellosk said:
Assuming you will be staying in one of the tourist hubs, you shouldn't have any problems finding accomodations.

Have fun!
Actually, that's not very accurate.
It is by far the busiest time of the year, and you definitely need advance reservations.
Even the coackroach hotels, fill up from Thursday to Sunday during Semana Santa.
BTW: It's sheer insanity in the downtown areas and on the beaches.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Book ahead for the Easter period. For any other time adventurous people could find a place to sleep, but everything fills up during Easter, particularly in the beach and tourist areas.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Rocky said:
Actually, that's not very accurate.
It is by far the busiest time of the year, and you definitely need advance reservations.
Even the coackroach hotels, fill up from Thursday to Sunday during Semana Santa.
BTW: It's sheer insanity in the downtown areas and on the beaches.
Absolutely. And not only are the rooms all booked up, but the Dominican guests jam the hotels with 12 in a room.

Marketgirl

Oct 6, 2005
So I guess in the spirit of the Dominican Republic

We should do what the natives do and five of us share a room??

:classic:

Thanks for the information, I will get onto booking something in the next week or so when we are given our schedule I would really prefer to avoid the cockroach hotels if possible.

Have a good one.

Nadia

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A "team of what?"" Missionaries? Habitat for the Humanities? Dance team?

A lot depends on where you are going and what you want to do. From the 12th on, things get hectic. Schools are out until the 20th or 21st in some cases.

Beaches are filled, your information above is dead on for that.....All hotels are filled.

You had better act fast. As a point of fact, you might be well advised to book your flight into STI and go from there.

Flights to Santiago originate from Miami, New York and Atlanta (and San Juan, Puerto Rico)

However I saw an Antinov 124 land there the other day and they can fly forever...so I don't know if direct flights have started from Europe or not...

HB, wishing you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Marketgirl

Oct 6, 2005
Vocational Exchange

I'm not sure what type of team we are (business professionals)???. It is made up of a teacher, detective, environmental scientist and me (marketing manager).

We are travelling from Australia to observe, learn and teach in our relevant industry fields in the Dominican Republic. It is via Rotary and is a Vocational Group Study Exchange. We have very little free time, instead most of the month is spent giving talks, presentations and visiting local businesses.

We are hosted by Rotarian families from the 10th April thru 10th May around the country but will need some accomodation beforehand for a couple of days when we first get to the DR just to get over jetlag and hopefully see some of your beautiful country before the work starts.

I will suggest at the next team meeting that we act now to secure some accommodation. No direct flights from Australia, it will be long haul via America to get to the DR.

Thank you for your information.

Have a terrific Christmas and safe new year.

Nadia

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Marketgirl said:
We are hosted by Rotarian families from the 10th April thru 10th May around the country but will need some accomodation beforehand for a couple of days when we first get to the DR just to get over jetlag and hopefully see some of your beautiful country before the work starts.

Nadia

Assuming you can communicate with them get them to arrange something , and now is actually a good time to reserve. It is busy in the whole country, near the beaches, e.g. Boca Chica, extremely so.

It is a fairly big country and you haven't said where you are flying into or want to stay.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay, this means you will be coming to Santiago for sure--it is a fairly important Rotary center.
Try this: And I must plead ignorance!--There are flights from Panama, Mexico, Colombia and Venezuela as well as Argentina that come here.

Remember you are on the Far Side of the earth from us, about 14 hours ahead of us, so no matter what, you have a very, very long flight.

Keep us aprised of your plans. I would imagine that your host families will already have taken care of your Easter Week festivities....When that week is over you will know that Presidente is Dominican for BEER!!

Marketgirl

Oct 6, 2005
30 something hours

The flight will be from Aust to the Dominican Republic. I can live with that since I get to spent over a month in a beautiful country. I've spent many hours on this site so have already picked up on the word Presidente :classic:
I will have also been learning Spanish (which I am loving) for about 6 months by the time we arrive so hopefully will have a grasp of more than just the basics before I arrive.

Thank you for your help, this forum is terrific for first time travellers like me and provides great insight and inside knowledge of your country.

My team is hoping to do some fundraising before we get there to help one of your charities to give something back to the country that is going to be hosting us.

I will keep you up to date with any developments, thank you for your interest.

Have a good one.

Nadia