Dry Ice?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Is it possible to buy dry ice in Santo Domingo? Been looking all over the past few days and I mostly get blank stares...Guess it's not too common here. Just need a small quantity...

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
NV_ said:
Is it possible to buy dry ice in Santo Domingo? Been looking all over the past few days and I mostly get blank stares...Guess it's not too common here. Just need a small quantity...

You might be in luck!

I know a guy here who has been struggling with procuring dry ice in the DR but somehow got everything resolved.

I usually see him once or twice a week; the next time I do, I will inquire.

One stipulation - if I help you with dry ice, you have to help me with chocolate ;)

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
sunshine_79 said:
You might be in luck!

I know a guy here who has been struggling with procuring dry ice in the DR but somehow got everything resolved.

One stipulation - if I help you with dry ice, you have to help me with chocolate ;)

Sounds fair to me!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A dry ice source would be very interesting. Various people on this board and, elsewhere, have been looking for some.

I can pay in chocolate...

HB :D:D

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Hillbilly said:
A dry ice source would be very interesting. Various people on this board and, elsewhere, have been looking for some.

I can pay in chocolate...

HB :D:D

In that case, I will gladly roam the streets tonight in search of this man!

When I find out, I will post.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Find some liquid C02 and you can make your own ...

....there are some small manual equipment you can buy "online" and then make 1# "blocks" very eaily...the key is compression and getting the liquid C02.....

We brought some tanks over from PR in the past....worked great.

Best, Dave

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Okay, so I finally saw Chip this morning.

I said "Hey Chip - tell me how you finally solved your dy ice problems?"

He flipped me off.

I'm assuming that means it was a long, arduous ordeal. He told me that he has two sources, one in Puerto Rico and one in Miami and that he is being ridiculously overcharged by both places.

Damn. I guess this means no chocolate.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
sunshine_79 said:

He flipped me off.

I'm assuming that means it was a long, arduous ordeal. He told me that he has two sources, one in Puerto Rico and one in Miami and that he is being ridiculously overcharged by both places.

Well,
sounds like a good business venture for the DR. Imagine if you are the only source of dry ice in the DR.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
sunshine_79 said:

He flipped me off.

Thanks for trying anyways Sunshine.

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
Any place that sells beverage equipment will have the tanks required to make this. Search for whomever pepsi or coke distributes through. Then follow this process. For a low cost alternative to making dry ice blocks you can even make dry ice snow yourself with a CO2 tank. Although it is not very efficient, just open the hose into a burlap bag, and then pack the dry ice snow into a container. It will also save on storage loss through sublimation as it is only used when immediately needed. I hope that helps as this is what i do to kill off yeast cultures quickly.

Another simple system is to attach the C02 hose to a 2 foot long 3 inch diamter pvc pipe. Cut the end off one end and attach the hose to the other using a end cap or simmilar this will in effect make a dry ice snow machine you can use this to blow the material around items you want to pack or deep freeze quickly. This works well if you want to really blow it around like spray on insulation.

PS: Please be very careful with dry ice, it can burn your skin worse then flame in a few seconds. Worst thing is it like to stick to you!! Just be careful. Also be careful using it around pilot lights etc as the collection of CO2 will extinguish these items creating a potential explosion hazard if not attended to.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Loaded said:
Any place that sells beverage equipment will have the tanks required to make this. .
Or fire extinguisher service companies as CO2 fire extinguishers are common in the DR. Cheaper than chemical extinguishers.

Loaded

Dec 26, 2005
Howmar:

I would agree with the use of fire extinguishers, execpt in the case where it will contact consumables. I do not know if there are varying degrees of sanitization with this type of product. Example would be N02 for industrial and then for dentistry? But I suppose its so darn cold who cares. Just a thought.

Geena

Feb 21, 2012
Dry Ice

You might be in luck!

I see this is an older post..But does anyone know where to get dry ice now in 2012?

Geena

Feb 21, 2012
Is see this is an older post. Hopefully in 2012 there might be dry ice on the island. Can anybody recommend?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
LOL Almost 7 years since I inquired about dry ice, still no dry ice. Granted, I havent really looked for it again anywhere but I still have not heard of any business selling dry ice in the D.R./S.D..

Got tired of all the weird looks I was getting everytime I would ask someone about it. Hielo seco ehhh que eso?????? lol