Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Ice?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dry Ice?

Is it possible to buy dry ice in Santo Domingo? Been looking all over the past few days and I mostly get blank stares...Guess it's not too common here. Just need a small quantity...

I made the 300,000th post!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NV_
    Is it possible to buy dry ice in Santo Domingo? Been looking all over the past few days and I mostly get blank stares...Guess it's not too common here. Just need a small quantity...
    You might be in luck!

I know a guy here who has been struggling with procuring dry ice in the DR but somehow got everything resolved.

I usually see him once or twice a week; the next time I do, I will inquire.

One stipulation - if I help you with dry ice, you have to help me with chocolate

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_79
    You might be in luck!

I know a guy here who has been struggling with procuring dry ice in the DR but somehow got everything resolved.

I usually see him once or twice a week; the next time I do, I will inquire.

One stipulation - if I help you with dry ice, you have to help me with chocolate
    Sounds fair to me!

Post Thanks / Like

A dry ice source would be very interesting. Various people on this board and, elsewhere, have been looking for some.

I can pay in chocolate...

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly
    A dry ice source would be very interesting. Various people on this board and, elsewhere, have been looking for some.

I can pay in chocolate...

HB
    In that case, I will gladly roam the streets tonight in search of this man!

When I find out, I will post.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Find some liquid C02 and you can make your own ...

....there are some small manual equipment you can buy "online" and then make 1# "blocks" very eaily...the key is compression and getting the liquid C02.....

We brought some tanks over from PR in the past....worked great.

Best, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I finally saw Chip this morning.

I said "Hey Chip - tell me how you finally solved your dy ice problems?"

He flipped me off.

I'm assuming that means it was a long, arduous ordeal. He told me that he has two sources, one in Puerto Rico and one in Miami and that he is being ridiculously overcharged by both places.

Damn. I guess this means no chocolate.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

He flipped me off.

I'm assuming that means it was a long, arduous ordeal. He told me that he has two sources, one in Puerto Rico and one in Miami and that he is being ridiculously overcharged by both places.

Well,
    sounds like a good business venture for the DR. Imagine if you are the only source of dry ice in the DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

He flipped me off.

Thanks for trying anyways Sunshine.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Any place that sells beverage equipment will have the tanks required to make this. Search for whomever pepsi or coke distributes through. Then follow this process. For a low cost alternative to making dry ice blocks you can even make dry ice snow yourself with a CO2 tank. Although it is not very efficient, just open the hose into a burlap bag, and then pack the dry ice snow into a container. It will also save on storage loss through sublimation as it is only used when immediately needed. I hope that helps as this is what i do to kill off yeast cultures quickly.

Another simple system is to attach the C02 hose to a 2 foot long 3 inch diamter pvc pipe. Cut the end off one end and attach the hose to the other using a end cap or simmilar this will in effect make a dry ice snow machine you can use this to blow the material around items you want to pack or deep freeze quickly. This works well if you want to really blow it around like spray on insulation.

PS: Please be very careful with dry ice, it can burn your skin worse then flame in a few seconds. Worst thing is it like to stick to you!! Just be careful. Also be careful using it around pilot lights etc as the collection of CO2 will extinguish these items creating a potential explosion hazard if not attended to.
    Last edited by Loaded; 01-04-2006 at 01:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast