Hotels in San Jose de las Matas

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Saludos!
Can someone please tell me if there are any hotels to stay at in San Jose de las Matas? Is La Mancion open?
Gracias. Paul

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
La Mansion has been closed for years. My wife worked there for a few years and it closed around 2000. There are a couple tiny places to stay in Sajoma but I don't know the names, don't look very good by US standards. THere is a new hotel less than 3 years old called HOtel Gran Ventana which is located a few minutes from the town on the Ventana River. I have been there twice. It is clean and very cheap. Less than 25US a night, very clean, about 20 rooms but is located on a dirt road. You could use taxi or rent scooter, or rent car, too far to walk into town about 15 minute walk I would guestimate. Food stands/colmado there and can go swimming in the water. Typically about 20 feet wide in the river and goes to several feet deep in spots, a lot of rocks, and many dominican families from Sajoma go there. If interested, pm me and I will get you the phone number, I have to find the card. Igua bar is happening on the weekend, usually jammed pack with about a few hundred people often with a famous merengue or bachata band. I believe was 100RD a person to enter last time I was there but could have went up. If you have specific questions about Sajoma, my wife could answer you because she was raised there and lived there until almost 2 years ago when she came to the US.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Got your pm, Actually it is called Hotel Sajoma(Ventana Rio Lindo) is what it says on the card. Owners are Marina and Miguel Pena. I have numbers 809 939 4423 and 809 578 8234 and a cell number 809 914 7763 they have 2 types of rooms, if I remember right the ones with kitchenettes cost more, like 5 dollars more a night. Again if I remember right it was about 16US for regular room and about 22 for the larger room with more stuff. Yes, you can swim there year round in the river but it is somewhat cool at times of the year. You said you were photographer and you will be delighted with that area, a lot of trees and valleys and I am sure you can get some great river shots. There is a public bus that goes into Santiago but it is not Metro, just a gua gua type. The taxi ride shouldn't be more than 30US, I can usually take a taxi to Sajoma for about 20-25US and is about a 45 minute ride. Tell taxi to take the new road, it is less curve and less bumpy. If you take the new road and about 2 miles or so before the curve/turn that takes you into Sajoma there is a bar/colmado building on the left, it is on the edge of a huge dropoff view/valley and would be great shot. They play music there on weekends, it's an open air bar with a roof, great place to sit and have a few beers. I think I answered many questions from pm, hope it helps out some. Oh, a few smaller towns are around like Janico, but maybe you might want to check out Jaracaboa (spelling?) it isn't too far and has some great views as well.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Thanks much for the info. I look forward to exploring the area and talking with the people.
Yes, I have been to Jarabacoa and it does have great views and rivers to swim in.
Feliz Navidad!
Paul

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
PGerace said:
Thanks much for the info. I look forward to exploring the area and talking with the people.
Yes, I have been to Jarabacoa and it does have great views and rivers to swim in.
Feliz Navidad!
Paul

wow never thought i would see my campo here! i am from san jose de las matas well caobanico a campo about 30 minutes away but i do suggest you stay there its nice and peaceful its right next to the river la ventana and not too far from la ceiba they throw alot of parties there but most definitley stay there last summer it was 400 a room each night i dont kno if it changed

Last edited:

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
PGerace said:
Hi. Thanks for the response. Any waterfalls in Sajoma or Caobanico?
Paul

Not that i know of but they do have a diving board in caobanico its kinda hidden tho once you go into caobanico u have to find the baseball field and then go to the back of the baseball field