La Romana worth overnight visit?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Is La romana a nice town to visit for someone looking to see how a dominican lives but doesnt want to deal with the dangers of a big city?
what would a budget to average hotel room cost?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While there are very reasonably priced hotels there ( Not Casa de Campo), allow me to say that La Romana is NOT a typical Dominican town.

It is a "company" town and the La Romana Corportation owns the town... It is a town with nearly 100% employment, mostly in the tourism industry or with La Romana Corporation or with the Free Zone or one of the service business there.

It is a fairly ugly city.

If you want a "real" Dominican town, go to La Vega or Moca or Salcedo, and yes. they have places to stay.

If you have to go to the eastern part of the country, El Seibo might be called typical or Hato Mayor. Certainly nothing along the coastline...:D:D:D

In the center of the country is San Juan de la Maguana, El?as Pi?a, San Jos? de Ocoa for typical...

Even Ban? and Azua ("Vla" aside, of course...:(:(:(:()

Not La Romana.

HB :D:D:D

yaidani

Feb 23, 2005
If you are talking about a non-touristic experience, La Romana IS a big city and very urban. They do have a cruise ship port and an area of town that has shops and restaurants fit for tourists. They also have rivers and waterfalls close to town as well as Altos de Chavon, and a few excellent golf courses.

But in la Romana town, is very much a city. To stay at one of the local hotels is between $25-45/night for Riverview, Dejavue, Frano or Olimpo hotels. Out of those I could recomend Riverview and Dejavue for acceptable accomodations and good service. Frano would do in a pinch, though it is a step down from the other two in facility quality. But if you are looking for something firstclass, then you will probably want to stay at one of the resorts.

There is a crime factor here. This town has a big population, and all the problems associated with high-density areas. I have never personally excountered any problems with crime, but we are always very cautious, especially when going out at night.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
Not LaRomana ??????????

Keep up the good work HB, those of us that live here are very happy with our city.
Would be a real shame to have tourists roaming our streets and driving the prices up for cervesas and chicas.
I do however, have to concede to you that LaRomana is not a typical Dominican town.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Not a typical Dominican town?

Hmm... every town is different, how can there be a "typical" town of anything?

Can we consider Santo Domingo and Santiago as typical?

Most cities are not as affluent as those two, but those two cities combined are home to half the population of the country! Those that makes them typical?

Outside of SD and STG, the population concentrates in Vega Real triangle (ie. Santiago-San Francisco-La Vega about 60% of the national population lives).The towns in this triangle are wealthier than most towns, but then again, most people don't live in most towns, most people live in those towns of the Vega Real! Does that makes them typical or the fact that the number of towns in the Vega Real pales to the number nationally makes them untypical?

Sometimes I wonder what people mean by typical!

To me, typical Dominican towns are those found in Vega Real triangle and Santo Domingo (together they contain around 90% of the country's population). Outside of those places, other "typical Dominican towns, though many are touristic but Dominican none the less" are Puerto Plata-Sosua, La Romana (yes, I said it!), Boca Chica-San Pedro, and Higuey!

Why?

Because in those towns is where MOST of the people of this country live in!

-NAL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, I happen to Love La Romana. I have (had??) a ton of good friends and golfing buddies there. But the guy said not a big city (strike SDQ and STI) and not a tourist city, but a typical Dominican city.

If you remove the tourist component, or, for example the sugar component like for San Pedro, then you are pretty much left with the cities I mentioned...

No tourism, no dominent industry, just people farming, working and getting along in life....like most of the DR.......right?

HB

And HEY, I left out Mao, SAJOMA, Monci?n and Sabaneta!! :p:p:p:p

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Of the towns Hillbilly mentioned I can speak about El Seybo being a typical, non touristic, non indurtry laid back town. We have nothing here to draw visitors and the town is very poor. We have, I think, 3 hotels and 2 cabanas. I have no idea as to prices for these accomodations. This is a nice town to visit if you enjoy such things as watching the grass grow.

If you wish to visit El Seybo or passing through give me a call and I'll attempt to show you around. Especially if you wish to visit the Dominican people in el campo and experience how they live. I also know which blades of grass grow the fastest and can point that out also.

Hillbilly for your information, if you didn't know, El Seibo officially changed its name to El Seybo in 2002.

Rick

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I like LRM

HB is correct, La Romana is a fairly ugly city compared to many other cities in the DR. The air is foul with the constant smell of two cycle oil and the stench of burning cane form the Central Romano Sugar Factory. For a city of its size the infrastructure is one of the worst in the nation. Potholes are everywhere, stoplights do not work, and the slightest rain creates flooded streets with raw sewage and flowing trash. Crime is on the rise however, it is very seldom directed at tourists. There are no real cultural or historical attractions in the city.

On the other hand the people of La Romana make up for the deficiencies listed above. They are extremely friendly, well educated, hard working folks, who are a pleasure to be around. La Romana deserves a visit on anyone?s trip to the DR.

Chuckuindy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the update!.....Didn't realize that but will put it on my "haid-drive"..:p

BTW, flying over that area a while ago I spotted what was supposed to be a shrimp farming operation. Is that close to you or am I way far away??

HB :D:D Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My opinion...

La Romana definitely deserves a visit. Here is a city where tourism came little by little and thus the city was allowed to grow relatively slowly. The fact that Casa de Campo early on had a real estate development, with lots of Dominicans visiting frequently; the fact that it is midway to Punta Cana, and as a result lots of Dominicans making mid way stops to eat; and the fact that tourism in the area was of a higher paying bracket of the market, has resulted in this town actually being a good place to visit and do some shopping. There are streets lined with stores with handicrafts that are really worth a visit, there are quite a few good restaurants, and there is the mix of movie-perfect tourism creations -- La Marina de Casa de Campo and Altos de Chavon that are open to the public.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey! I didn't say it wasn't worth a visit!! I said it was not worth a one day visit to a "typical Dominican town"
There is no way La Roaman can be called a "typical Dominican town"

Is it a great place to visit? Sure it is!! Absolutely.

HB :D:D:D:D

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
What is a typical Dominican town?

I think there is no such thing as a "typical Dominican town". This is to the same extent as there is no such thing as a typical Dominican person.

I would debate that Dominican towns are such a blend of styles and influences in the same way as Dominicans are the result of centuries of non-stop immigration.

I would debate the stereotype some foreigners would have of what what a Dominican should look like, and also what a Dominican town should look like. La Romana has a blend of architectural styles of all kinds from different periods. But fortunately they have not torn down lots of their earlier buildings and instead have turned them into stores and restaurants.

And if you go to the barrios north of La Romana, you will see more of a contemporary Dominican town with the community life. I think it conserves much of the elements of Dominican lifestyle, people gathering amongst themselves for community life -- not just a place to live and then commute to work. Dominicans have always been hospitable and receiving immigrants from other parts of the country and abroad. La Romana is no exception, in that it is a "typical Dominican town." I don't think this is any different than saying that Santiago is typical.

Thinking about it, and open to debate, for me Dominican is the interaction of the people. That is what makes it typical.

My point is that given all the influences, typical here is a cornucopia, not a single stereotype.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Don't make a fuss about it Hillbilly I and others know exactly what you mean by the use of the word typical.

Rick

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
I do not live in LR but my family of origin is from there and I do visit regularly.
I must agree with Mr. Hillbilliy. If what we mean is traditional and not simply more commonplace or where most people live, then LR is not typical.

La Romana is not visually appealing, it does not have much to show in terms of architecture or aesthetically meaningful urban spaces, being a "new" town - barely 100 yrs. old. It also grew very fast compared that to the much older and slower paced La Vega or Seibo, which are more traditionally/quitenssentially Dominican towns. Its history is not completely uninteresting -especially for those of us with links to the region- and LR is also economically much more dynamic than many of its Cibao counterparts (even if much more dependent on sugar big business and tourism). Now that I think about it, it would be nice if someone offered guided tours of the Central Romana and whatever sites on the 'pueblo' are there with local history. Right now tourists off the large cruise ships just go for leisurely walks up to the central park, buy chucher?as from the mercado near the main Church and go back to ship (that is if they don't go sailing to Catalina island, golf at Casa de Campo, sightseeing to ALtos de Chav?n or ride yola to Bayahibe or Saona, etc).

It is worth visiting but, as previously stated, be aware of the attack on the senses: noise and fumes of endless/chaotic stream of hurried motoconchos everywhere. If I were a tourist, I would probably get more authenticity from a trip to Moca or La Vega in el Cibao, than to make a special trip to the town of LR (if not already visiting Casa de Campo, Altos de Chav?n or nearby beaches of Bayahibe).

- Tordok

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Not sure of the name

Although I have driven through this neighborhood many times I really do not know the history of it. It has a lovely mix of new and older homes and is plush with blooming vegetation. Located on the back side of the Central Romano Factory, it stretches for several miles along the seaside. There is also a small hotel and country club their with a large pool and tennis courts.

When I return in Jan. I will do some more investigation and provide more details. It really is a nice drive and some great photo ops.

Chuckuindy

surimi

Dec 13, 2005
Whaooooo!!!!! I`m a Romanence,,I love my towm And there is cultural things,but you have to look for it, and yes it`s owm by the central romana becouse they take anything they want,,,,!!!!!!!!! for many years.....
and used to have two beachs .....now none.......so doesn`t that said that the folks inthe city are friendly ,,,, excep in casa de pesca the club is unfriendly.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
chuckuindy said:
Although I have driven through this neighborhood many times I really do not know the history of it. It has a lovely mix of new and older homes and is plush with blooming vegetation. Located on the back side of the Central Romano Factory, it stretches for several miles along the seaside. There is also a small hotel and country club their with a large pool and tennis courts.

When I return in Jan. I will do some more investigation and provide more details. It really is a nice drive and some great photo ops.

Chuckuindy

Do you mean La Costa? That's the frontside of Central Romana. ;)
It is hardly several miles long, but it is pretty. it is part of the "town within the town" that CR built for its expats on the shores of La Romana. For a long time (during daylight savings seasons) upon crossing the railroad tracks coming from 'el pueblo' to 'la costa' you would literally be in a different time zone, as the Central kept Wall Street time regardless of Dominican official time in order to be in synch with the opening and closing of the markets.

This has been the seaside residential area (batey principal) of the Central Romana for many decades and until recently -approx. last 20 yrs??- largely the domain of expats CR higher-ups and their families. Most were U.S. American, but also British, Dutch, German,etc. Within the complex is located the Lincoln School, a small hospital, CR fire department and the "guardia campestre" or private police force. Free housing and good school for their kids were a major draw for people from overseas coming to live there. Nowadays, most people living there are Dominican, but the school is open to whoever can afford it (few locals can). The country club that you mention is "el club de la costa" and is still for the families of people who work at the CR. As a kid, I saw many movies in their small theater. The swimming pool was saltwater until recently. In the 80's the main building and the oceanfront 'caba?as' were indeed used as Hotel Romana, but nowadays I think the rooms are used for short-term executives and/or guests of the CR and the social areas are part of the employees' social club.

- Tordok

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
surimi said:
Whaooooo!!!!! I`m a Romanence,,I love my towm And there is cultural things,but you have to look for it, and yes it`s owm by the central romana becouse they take anything they want,,,,!!!!!!!!! for many years.....
and used to have two beachs .....now none.......so doesn`t that said that the folks inthe city are friendly ,,,, excep in casa de pesca the club is unfriendly.

Surimi,

Good to see a Romanense on the DR1 boards, but what's your beef with Caza y Pesca? Please elaborate.

- Tordok

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
That is it

Tordok said:
Do you mean La Costa? That's the frontside of Central Romana. ;)
It is hardly several miles long, but it is pretty. it is part of the "town within the town" that CR built for its expats on the shores of La Romana. For a long time (during daylight savings seasons) upon crossing the railroad tracks coming from 'el pueblo' to 'la costa' you would literally be in a different time zone, as the Central kept Wall Street time regardless of Dominican official time in order to be in synch with the opening and closing of the markets.

This has been the seaside residential area (batey principal) of the Central Romana for many decades and until recently -approx. last 20 yrs??- largely the domain of expats CR higher-ups and their families. Most were U.S. American, but also British, Dutch, German,etc. Within the complex is located the Lincoln School, a small hospital, CR fire department and the "guardia campestre" or private police force. Free housing and good school for their kids were a major draw for people from overseas coming to live there. Nowadays, most people living there are Dominican, but the school is open to whoever can afford it (few locals can). The country club that you mention is "el club de la costa" and is still for the families of people who work at the CR. As a kid, I saw many movies in their small theater. The swimming pool was saltwater until recently. In the 80's the main building and the oceanfront 'caba?as' were indeed used as Hotel Romana, but nowadays I think the rooms are used for short-term executives and/or guests of the CR and the social areas are part of the employees' social club.

- Tordok

The front side, well okay. I have driven back their several times and think it is a very beautiful spot. Thanks for the history lesson. Would it not also be more than a mile from the back of Central Romano Hospital to the end of the sea wall? Anyway, I like the view.

Chuckuindy