Construction Prices

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
I've been looking at the construction prices advertised on some websites. In areas like Cabrera the prices are around $60-$65 a Square FOOT. Juan Perdomo's prices are $300-$700 per square METER. I think these are basically drastically inflated prices for the expat or whoever they can get into paying. Besides this, on the higher end of the scale, what kind of finishings are included in the higher construction price? Would it include crown moldings, high quality paint, complex roof designs and moldings, lighting???

I'm curious to know because an architect friend of mine put me on to the fact that some builders scheme prices and pocket substantial amounts by "billing" for things that they eventually pocket. I.E. They'll use less cement, They use leftovers from other constructions, etc. My main interest to know is what kind of finishings does the higher end of the spectrum include?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Reputable builders are now costing out at between RD$15,000 and RD$20,000 a square meter for single family dwellings. I expect things to go up quite a bit in the new year as the "tax reform" goes into effect.

Things like molding, complex roofing structures and marble floors are extra. Houses in the DR come stripped...you have to put in all appliances. Some will come with water heaters installed, but that would be extra...they just do you the "favor' of installing it.

And yes, there are some good construction companies...

HB :D:D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Pingu,
The first question I have for you is are the prices you're quoting American dollars or Dominican pesos?

The second question is are these prices per floor space? If for squared floor space does this include the area taken up by wall space or not?

Regardless, let's just assume for a moment that you would be happy with a house 10 meters by 14 meters. The price you quoted in plan A would be $60 - $65 per square foot or $ 90,416 - $ 97,951 for the 1506.947399 square feet/ 140 square meters.

Under the price you quoted in plan B, $300 -$700 per square meter would be $ 42,000 - $ 98,000 for the 140 square meters.

I was discussing construction prices on the below link with other board members so you might want to check it out;

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45915

If the prices you are quoting are DR$ then the prices are excellent even with the poor construction that usually takes place in this country. If the prices quoted are US$ then you are being taken for a ride.

With the prices Hillbilly quoted you would be paying RD$ 2,100,000 to RD$ 2,800,000 for the finished product.(US$ 65,265 - US$ 87,500).

Read the link I posted above it might be enlightening.

Rick

Reactions: wuarhat

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
The prices that I quoted are in US Dollars. This is why I find that the advertised prices on websites are usually ATLEAST 40% overpriced to lure an unsuspecting customer. Now, don't for one second think that I've even considered vuilding for these prices, I just wanted to confirm and make sure that I'm not the only one who thinks there's something strange about these astronomical pricings.

So what is an acceptable price for a top of the line construction villa. By that I mean some wooden flooring, marble floors, modern bathrooms, stainless steel appliances, gardening, lighting fixtures, etc... I've been getting quotes between $400-$700 Per sqaure meter. I still think it's a little skecthy.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Pingu,
What you are talking about is a house built basically to American specs and for that you will pay a hefty price. In this country of low labor costs and material costs below American prices there is no reason to be charged the prices you are seeing except to say that the only ones in this county that can pay that are the rich Dominicans and forgieners.

I have a nice, not American standards, 2 bedroom, 1 bath with a big laundry room,big kitchen, big living room and a 6' x 10' gallery. I helped build it and it cost me about US$ 5,000 5 years ago.

As I mentioned read the link I posted earlier for what materials cost here as this should give you an idea of how much of your money they are pocketing.

Rick

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I will be paying approx. $65 per sq. ft. for a house built by 1st. class American standards. I could pay less for the same house and be sorry later, or I could build a smaller Dominican style house for a fraction and be perfectly happy. There is a world of difference between the 2 types of houses, but if you go for the gringo style, the $60 per sq. foot range is what it costs. - D

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
Danny W said:
I will be paying approx. $65 per sq. ft. for a house built by 1st. class American standards. I could pay less for the same house and be sorry later, or I could build a smaller Dominican style house for a fraction and be perfectly happy. There is a world of difference between the 2 types of houses, but if you go for the gringo style, the $60 per sq. foot range is what it costs. - D

Yeah that's what to wanted to know. Does this price include stainless steel appliances, finishings, etc???

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Anytime a person wants to charge you by the square meter, yard, foot or what ever you are going to be taken for a ride.

Using the figure of let's say $60 per square foot the cost of material will take up about 23% of that figure. Labor will take up about 30% which leaves you paying the owner 47% which he puts in his pocket.

Rick

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
Anytime a person wants to charge you by the square meter, yard, foot or what ever you are going to be taken for a ride.

Using the figure of let's say $60 per square foot the cost of material will take up about 23% of that figure. Labor will take up about 30% which leaves you paying the owner 47% which he puts in his pocket.

Rick

Rick - Could you elaborate on those figures? I have a great deal of confidence in my builder, but I'd like to hear more. We are using that figure as a means of making preliminary estimates. After that, we will look for ways to reduce costs - like finding less expensive floor tiles, etc. This figure includes a large swiming pool, a 3500 square foot house with 4 bathrooms, etc.

I am all in favor of saving money. of course, but I am not an experienced builder, and I live in new York, and therefore will not be around to see the day to day goings on. Even if I was, I wouldn't have a clue anyway. I am willing to pay a little more with the expectation of getting top quality. - D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Danny: Remember the old saw: "While the cat's away.......?"

That is what is going to happen with your house. Believe it or not, you could actually save money renting a little place and watching your house being built.

Rick: You make a good point about costing out the houses. Besides, who needs an "Americanized" house in the DR?? Sort of contradictory?

Anyway, construction here is always an adventure....

Regarding STAINLESS kitchen appliances...allow me to repeat myself. Construction here NEVER includes appliances!! NEVER>>>!!! In many cases it does not even include lighting fixtures beyond a bulb in a ceiling socket!!

HB:D:D

funckytown

Apr 17, 2005
Wiesbaden, Germany, Germany
american or european standards...

hi,
in the US is it not wooden houses...
and europ concrete?

You will never achieve standards here....

I live here in Juan dolio, where they build at every corner...
from villas to 300 appartment building....

THE ONLY THEY DO GOOD.....

is polishing with concrete the s... wall they build....

but also in europ you have to check everyday your house build... I recall...:classic:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Danny W,
Read the link in my post #3 to get an idea of prices of basic material. The material here is dirt cheap in comparison to our prices in the USA. Take a cinder block for example, I can buy one for 11 pesos, 34 cents, here and how moch does it cost in the USA?

The following link shows the floor plan for a 900 sq ft home
http://www.cobshomeplans.com/store/servlet/ViewPlan?pid=143

A house with this floor plan should not cost more then, I would say, US$ 10,000 for the material and labor. This is for the pictured floor plan and not the house. Here it is best to have a cement roof because of hurricanes.

My house is approx 1,500 sq ft and cost me a little over US$ 5,000 to build 6 years ago.

As Hillbilly said the houses here are stripped within and because of the use of blocks you usually don't get things like closets and such.

The DR does not have building inspectors that insure that the plumbing, electrical wiring, footing, wall construction and roof meet set standards as we do in the USA. With inspectors not checking and you not checking I can insure you that you will be taken to the cleaners in the construction of your house.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Danny W,
You say you have confidence in your builder and that's all well and good but I would ask a favor of you. The next time you talk to him ask him for how long does he allows the cement to cure and how he does this when he pours a roof and how long he vibrates the concrete and with what. Let me know what he says and I'll tell you how much confidence you should have. These are answers you want at the time you talk to him and not something that he needs to get back to you with.

Rick

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
"Using the figure of let's say $60 per square foot the cost of material will take up about 23% of that figure. Labor will take up about 30% which leaves you paying the owner 47% which he puts in his pocket."

So esstentially any one who quotes in "per square foor" or "per sqaure meter" is going to find a way to scheme a few extra bucks in his pockets. So if the price of the construction does not include the finishings like Tubs, Toilets, Shower Heads, Lighting Fixtures, Jacuzzi, pool, etc, about what percent of the budget will that take up. I remeber being in 8ocha this summer and seeing displays but I didn't pay much mind to it because they seemed a little generic. Any place that displays modern fixtures?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
If the furnishings are not a part of the equation then they are not part of the "budget" unless you mean your budget. As far as "a few extra buck" how do you equate 47% as being a few.

The bottom line is that in the DR you can build an adequate house cheap but it requires your presence during construction and the staying away from anyone that wants to charge you by the square foot,yard,meter on any phase of the construction in any way, shape or form because it is used only to increase the cost to you.

Hypothetically let's say you want to built a building 10 meters by 10 meters with 2 doors and 4 windows. This requires 520 blocks to include footings, minus the 68 blocks where the doors and windows will be. This is 452 blocks at a cost of RD$4,972. The going rate to lay those blocks is 2 pesos per block which equates to RD$ 902.00. No more then 20 cubic meters of concrete, mortar and stucco, 17 quintal of re-bar at a price of approx RD$ 36,000. So a price for the materials and the laying of the blocks is around RD$ 41,874 not including the price of labor to dig the footings, form and pour the footings, floor, vige de amarre and roof. Three people can build a house here with no problem so if there is more then 3 you are paying undue labor. Still talking hypothetically let's say you pay these 3 laborers a total of RD$ 3,000 a day ,to high but, and it takes 6 days of actual labor to complete, to high but, you have a total of RD$ 18.000 for labor. Total cost = RD$ 59,874 for 100 square meters / 1,076.39 square feet. This equates to 56 pesos per square foot cost.

Rick

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The use of Prices/m? is a methode used by professionals to get very fast a rough idea of the cost of a building. All depends on the definitions you use for the calculation. I have used this system regulary to get estimates off costs etc. Once you've the hang off it its very usefull and experience has learned me that once you've get the general picture the detailled calculation of the final cost often corresponds with the first estimation.

Greetings

Johan

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The use of price/measurement squared is a way of getting a very fast and rough idea of your cost for purchasing but in no way should it be used for selling a product or service except land. It is a method used by "crooks" to make you think you are getting a good deal. The denotation of selling a house by the squared measurement is PROFIT.

Rick

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Rick Snyder said:
The use of price/measurement squared is a way of getting a very fast and rough idea of your cost for purchasing but in no way should it be used for selling a product or service except land. It is a method used by "crooks" to make you think you are getting a good deal. The denotation of selling a house by the squared measurement is PROFIT.

Rick

hear hear
greetings

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Hillbilly said:
Danny: Remember the old saw: "While the cat's away.......?"

That is what is going to happen with your house. Believe it or not, you could actually save money renting a little place and watching your house being built.

Rick: You make a good point about costing out the houses. Besides, who needs an "Americanized" house in the DR?? Sort of contradictory?

Anyway, construction here is always an adventure....

Regarding STAINLESS kitchen appliances...allow me to repeat myself. Construction here NEVER includes appliances!! NEVER>>>!!! In many cases it does not even include lighting fixtures beyond a bulb in a ceiling socket!!

HB:D:D

Actually my price will include everything but the furniture. One reason why I am using this builder is because I can't be here to check on the day to day. I'm happy to pay a little more because I know how concientious he is. Also, I'm ignorant enough of the process to be completely screwed if I pretended to know what I don't know.

Hillbilly, with all do respect, it makes perfect sense to build an Americanized house here. I have a beautiful lot 200 yards from the ocean in a secure location with a prisitne beach. I'm 62 years old, and I know how I want to live. I have a condo in Sosua now, and an "adopted" family with 3 kids here. I'm relatively experienced. I'm a gringo - that's not going to change.

Bottom line, I know that there are 2 types of dwellings under discussion. For someone like me, it will cost approx. $60 per sq. ft.on the north coast (I'm told that semi skilled labor is less plentiful here) to have a house with a-1 construction. I have been here long enough to see the lousy work that is done in most buildings - my condo included - and I'm not interested. - D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Danny W,
I wasn't aware that you had that much experience with the DR so therefore you have seen the construction here and you know what you want so if you must then go for it. All I will say at this point is that the actual cost and what you are being quoted is the proverbial comparison of apples to oranges. Good luck in your indeavor.

Rick