Why is baseball popular in DR?

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
Any idea?

I wonder, when was it introduced to the island too (since DR was only occupied by the US for short periods of time)?

Thanks for your insight.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
"or many it is the only chance they have of "getting out", and improving thier lot it in life. Similar to the NBA and NFL in the US.
Bob K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The above also reveals why basketball is becoming so wildly popular.
Charlie Villanueva and others have gotten there....NBA...

And baseball pays from the "Camp" all the way to the majors....

HB :D:D

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Hillbilly said:
The above also reveals why basketball is becoming so wildly popular.
Charlie Villanueva and others have gotten there....NBA...

And baseball pays from the "Camp" all the way to the majors....

HB :D:D
you mean pays peanuts:ermm: (cheap labor) all the way to the minors....;)

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
hugh said:
Any idea?

I wonder, when was it introduced to the island too (since DR was only occupied by the US for short periods of time)?

Thanks for your insight.
Baseball is a curse and a blessing in the D.R.....it is an escape, both from reality and the country...but now it is doing more harm then good! but as the years go by you will see more Dominicans playing more none traditional sports, when this happens you are really going to see what a Dominican can really do!...

I personally believe with all my heart that Dominican's can dominate at sports like...Lacrosse, flag football, Tennis, golf, tackle football, and volleyball....Dominican's would be a powerhouse of these sports if they weren't bound by baseball to try and seek a living, but one of these days, watch out!!

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Right you are, Daddy1

Look at how well the Cuban national teams have done in Olympic competition!

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Bob K said:
"or many it is the only chance they have of "getting out", and improving thier lot it in life. Similar to the NBA and NFL in the US.
Bob K

Maybe now. But baseball has been popular ever since I could remember. The "getting out" syndrome bagan around late 80's. Before then parents punished their kids for sneaking out and spending too much time playing baseball under the sun, rain and going on without food for almost an entire day. We played under those conditions and even into a little bit after sunset. We didn,t play with real bats or gloves. I remember using pieces of wood as a bat, milk carton as gloves and dress socks fill with sponge tight togerther covering a small rock as a baseball. We played mostly on the street, stopping the game for vehicles. Them a new variation of baseball began "bitillas" wow this is very challenging as it entails the use of a broom stick and a turpentine bottle cap (it was plastic then). Try throwing a curve with a bottle cap, let alone hitting it with a broom stick. Then the bottle caps became larger, this time the water jug (botellones) provided a good source of caps. We really got goods games going using bottle caps and broom stick. Other times we use a lemon for a ball until it break. Even then kids missed school for baseball and this is when their parent really let them have it, but the kids love for baseball was greater motivation than a beating from their parent. Baseball then was considered a tiguere sport. Everyone played, the good and bad. Now it is too competive.

Last edited:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
the only chance to improve life, interesting, but not the reason why precisely baseball is popular. In most of Latin America the exact same applies for football (soccer). I would say baseball because of early US influence and the lack of another colonising country in the time sports found their popular base. The Caribbean is very interesting in this respect: in Guyana, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago it's all cricket, in Surinam and I suppose the French islands as well it's football, and in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic baseball. Everyone plays to 'get out' and earn professional sports money in the US or Europe, but in different sports.

Kidd Creole

Nov 29, 2005
Futbol Americano

I think if we Dominicans put our minds to it We can become great Futbol Americano players Think about it...

We have power, speed, Aglilty, and we are aware...

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Dominicans wouldnt make good Football players(American)

From what i have noticed is that Dominicans and pretty much most Hispanics(Latin-Americans,Latinos,w/e you want to call it) in general dont succeed in Football becuase they dont have the genetics .Hispanics were not built to play football, hence hispanics stick to more skill oriented sports like soccer,baseball,basketball,ect..).Hispanics dont have the size that most African-American and Caucasian-American football players have .Americans have been proven to be bigger and better fed than Latin Americans (Not too many Hispanics in the NFL).Also , one has to remember that football was primarily made by Americans ,so its a sport thats suits Americans better than anybody else.The positions the very few hispanic players in the nfl play are the positions you dont need size for(kicker{Grammaticas},quarterback{Jeff Garcia ,but then again he is only half Mexican) ,or they somehow do have the size but are no good(a few).Thats just the way i see it.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Ignorance really exists. I guess that you have done plenty of research to conclude that Hispanics do not have the gene to play football. Do not make me laugh please. :classic:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
It is every parent's dream to see their kid make it big so he can bring back the US$$$$$! A friend of mine has his 15 year old son training every single day. While we’re seating there sipping a beer, he will spend an hour throwing corn at his kid so he can practice his swing.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Anyone yet thought that baseball, a version of all the historic western hemisphere games of pelota, is just a very good game????

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
pkaide1 said:
Ignorance really exists. I guess that you have done plenty of research to conclude that Hispanics do not have the gene to play football. Do not make me laugh please. :classic:

Would you say that African Americans have the genes or not?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Tuan said:
Anyone yet thought that baseball, a version of all the historic western hemisphere games of pelota, is just a very good game????

Yes, but in the rest of Latin America people seem to think that soccer is just a very good game.

Kidd Creole

Nov 29, 2005
Conchman said:
Would you say that African Americans have the genes or not?

There are alot of Latinos with African Descent aswell. Some could be mistaken for an African American and vise versa.
Just not enough football exposure in Latin American countries.

There are enough positions in football to suit anybody type and they make well over 300,000 dollars are year. That is very good money just to be a center and snap the ball to the quaterback.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
FuegoAzul21 said:
one has to remember that football was primarily made by Americans ,so its a sport thats suits Americans better than anybody else.QUOTE]

If your premise hold, shouldn't Americans be better baseball players?

Also, David Ortiz would make an excellent linebacker:rambo:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Kidd Creole said:
I think if we Dominicans put our minds to it We can become great Futbol Americano players Think about it...

We have power, speed, Aglilty, and we are aware...

Another reason why most hispanics don't choose to play American Football
is because it is a very high impact sport that can put you out of comission in a fraction of a second.

Boxing is the closest that most dominicans would go as far as high impact sports.

Now going back to why baseball is so popular in DR
it is like stogord basically puts it.

It is one of the only sports that poor parents can afford their kids to play.

If you need a ball you yank the head off your sister's doll
or a lemon, better if it is hard and dry. The bat is a pipe or a piece of wood,
the gloves are your hands or make one from card board, the bases are the streets and the game only finishes when the last mother comes to grab her kids by the ears for playing on the street.

Kidd Creole

Nov 29, 2005
Mr_DR said:
Another reason why most hispanics don't choose to play American Football
is because it is a very high impact sport that can put you out of comission in a fraction of a second.

Boxing is the closest that most dominicans would go as far as high impact sports.

Now going back to why baseball is so popular in DR
it is like stogord basically puts it.

It is one of the only sports that poor parents can afford their kids to play.

If you need a ball you yank the head off your sister's doll
or a lemon, better if it is hard and dry. The bat is a pipe or a piece of wood,
the gloves are your hands or make one from card board, the bases are the streets and the game only finishes when the last mother comes to grab her kids by the ears for playing on the street.

I thought we did Boxing because of Pride for our nation? Does Victoriano Sosa still Box now?