Internet in Puerta Plata

mamac

Dec 18, 2005
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could help i have just moved to DR with my family in Puerta Plata and we have 2 computers one of them is on the internet but the other isnt we have asked the people to come out but we keep getting told tommorow but no one turns up does anybody know any body who could get a wireless network card and install it for a decent price

Many Thanks

Geert

Jan 28, 2005
Are your computers Desktop or Notebook computers?
Is your Modem USB or Ethernet?
The reason I ask is that I brought a wireless Ethernet Router (Linksys WRT54GC) that requires a Ethernet Modem connection (or Cable) and both a USB wireless Adapter (Dlink DWL-G132) and a Netgear Cardbus Notebook Adapter (FA511). All this is useless to me here as the Verizon supplied USB Modem, Speedtouch 330, can not be connected with the Linksys Router.
Happy New Year, Geert

mamac

Dec 18, 2005
hi geert happy new year to you too it is a desktop but the computer that is already up on the net is a USB Modem, Speedtouch 330 supplied by verizon and i would like to get the other up on it too any ideas

Thanks

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Honest & Competent PC technician - POP

I suggest that you contact: Rosa Ulloa; 809-644-9359 - cell ; rose.ulloa@gmail.com. An engineer, very competent with network & internet issues; honest; has a car; lives in POP; former head of tech @ a local POP hotel; will come to your home. Speaks decent [?] English. Reasonable prices. Well worth a sniff.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Is this new for Verizon? I sure don't want a USB modem. I need ethernet connection to the modem. I will most likely be getting the best DSL plan Verizon offers so hopefully they will be smart enough to realize I will sometimes have more than one PC hooked up!

Geert

Jan 28, 2005
Re: USB Modem

I vaguely remember that the plan I subscribed to mention the use of one computer. Perhaps the USB modem is the way Verizon limits one to hard wired?
I am certainly not an IT and have no idea if this is correct. Perhaps USB wireless routers are also available or supplying a Ethernet Modem oneself is the trick?
At this time of the year having a couple of drinks is probably the best solution.

Cheers, Geert

Geert

Jan 28, 2005
More USB modem info.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that last week I did go to both Radio Shack and Samantel (JFK, SD) and asked about buying an Ethernet Modem.
At both stores I got a negative response and a reference to Verizon and Speedtouch.
A search of the Speedtouch Web page,
( http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/homeprod_dsl.htm ) showed a number of different Speedtouch modems, the 300 series are clearly marked as "Residential Single User" modems, the 500 series are "Residential Multi User" Ethernet-USB Modems-Routers, some wireless.
As one of my notebook computers has died and gone to heaven (thank you Sony) the wireless connection is not a matter of great urgency for me until I get it repaired, but one of these days I will call Verizon and ask about the availability of an Ethernet modem.

Cheers, Geert

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Depending on the plan chosen you can connect multiple computers. I have a speedstream modem and could connect up to 5 on that model.