Las Canas

BlueLodge

Dec 28, 2005
Anyone here willing to give me any encouragement on Las Canas in Sosua?
I agreed to buy a condo there two months ago. Was promised many items, not the least of which is hot water and when I arrived yesterday, nothing. Now i've been told that they haven't filed condo rules etc and legally can't sell condos. On top of that, the person that showed me the condo said there would be no children but apparently they are doing long term rent to families with small children. What will be next? Dogs everywhere?
Looks like money down the drain to me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
How do you say : "caveat emptor"???

You should have asked this a few months ago it seems. Go see a lawyer and ask what can be done....

HB :D:D:D

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Par for the Course

BlueLodge said:
Anyone here willing to give me any encouragement on Las Canas in Sosua?
I agreed to buy a condo there two months ago. Was promised many items, not the least of which is hot water and when I arrived yesterday, nothing. Now i've been told that they haven't filed condo rules etc and legally can't sell condos. On top of that, the person that showed me the condo said there would be no children but apparently they are doing long term rent to families with small children. What will be next? Dogs everywhere?
Looks like money down the drain to me.

I wrote an extensive North Coast Real Estate thread a month ago on my realizations from two trips looking at real estate there. It was based on two trips, a year apart. My conclusion was that nothing ever promised was delivered in the time frame and conditions that it was said they would be. This invovled new construction of houses and condo's.

I concluded the only condition I will buy under will be the finished product ready to move into with everything finished. That way you can see if it's level and square etc.

This will elimanate a lot of the stress but then puts you into the inflated prices. Another whole situation of events. But don't you get what you pay for in the D.R. just like everywhere else.

Is that encouragement, or discouragement.

Kiwi Bruce

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
BlueLodge, bring this up to Guido Perdomo's attention or Guzman, both in Sosua and ask them for advice. They both are very reliable. I'm sorry to hear about these problems. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy ownership as much as many of us do.

Kiwicanuck, excuse this comment but you have NO experience in the real estate world of the DR. Many of us own a few properties and travel to the DR on a monthly basis and many live there. Pls don't make posters think you are an expert after 2 visits and not a dime spent in R/E.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
ecarignan said:
Kiwicanuck, excuse this comment but you have NO experience in the real estate world of the DR. Many of us own a few properties and travel to the DR on a monthly basis and many live there. Pls don't make posters think you are an expert after 2 visits and not a dime spent in R/E.

Constructive criticism of my opinions is always welcome and very much appreciated when relayed in such a polite fashion. Thank you. I clearly state that its experience gained from only two visits and never once have I felt I am an expert. However, those two visits included over three weeks extensively looking at real estate around Sosua / Cabarete. If it wasn't for so many of the pitfalls that so many run into in the D.R. I would have purchased already. I am reasonably intitled to I would think share some of what I have learnt with others.

I think my comments have been very fair and not inflamatoty. Its a very different situation buying property in a third world country. I may surprise you how much experience I have gained already. A good indicator of that is that I have not purchased yet.

Respectfully, Kiwi Bruce

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ecarignan said:
BlueLodge, bring this up to Guido Perdomo's attention or Guzman, both in Sosua and ask them for advice. They both are very reliable. I'm sorry to hear about these problems. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy ownership as much as many of us do.

Ecarignan, did you buy your property(ies) pre-construction? If so, I'd be interested in hearing if everything went smoothly. Most of the stories I've read on DR1 sound similar to BlueLodge's and like Kiwicanuck have deterred me from buying in the DR.