Boston to Santiago $158 on Continental

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Orbitz just informed me and I confirmed it on Continentals web site that they are doing flights from Boston to Santiago via Newark for $158 (a total of $292 with all the taxes and fees). Depart Jan 10-16 and return Jan 23. There may be more dates but that's all I saw.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Nice Price!

$273.70 is not shabby EWR - STI - EWR on those dates as well!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
There are actually some dates where it is cheaper to fly BOS-STI than EWR-STI; which is incredible considering the BOS flight connects in EWR (and there are additional fees each time a plane lands and takes off).

exek

May 26, 2003
www.cormega-central.com
Hi I know lil late to jump on this post but just booked my flight bos-sti via ewr and seem this sale is still going thru for most of February and beginning of March. my fare actually came out a lil cheaper at $286.90 after taxes.

Just wondering how is the connection at Newark? Being a smaller airport is it real easy or will I have to prepare to run a marathon that always happens to me in Miami for plane coming in late?
Thanks in Advance :)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
exek said:
Just wondering how is the connection at Newark? Being a smaller airport is it real easy or will I have to prepare to run a marathon that always happens to me in Miami for plane coming in late?
Newark is not nearly as bad a MIA. Unfortunately, as of October 1st, the Boston flights now arrive at terminal A. The flight to Santiago leaves at terminal C.

How much time do you have for the connection?

exek

May 26, 2003
www.cormega-central.com
Thanks Rellosk for quick response. I was wondering that when I saw that the other day. my connection time is one hour and 3 minutes. Do I just hop on the monorail and pray for the best? hehe for some reason when I hit the gym the next few weeks its not just to look good in the beach lol I see a lot of running in my future hehe

Jun 5, 2004
Its kind of wierd that they will let you book something like this. So little time to allow connection especially if you have luggage and all that good stuff. Not to be the one with the bad news but my best suggestion is to make alternate plans.

exek

May 26, 2003
www.cormega-central.com
Yeah I know it’s a bad connection time. I have a feeling that I’m either going to miss the flight or be the guy that comes in at the last moment and every passenger is looking at with disgust for being the last passenger everyone is waiting for. Thank god I have tons of family and friends within 15 minutes of Newark airport and if have to take next day flight will not be such a burden. I’ll keep you guys posted on how good or bad the short connection time was and whether the new low price from continental bos-sti route is worth the connection time.

Sep 19, 2005
well its the 24th!!!!!!

how did it go?????

I wonder why it is cheaper to fly into EWR and onto sti than just to fly ewr to sti?

I realize the EXACT date has a lot to do with it though

bob

exek

May 26, 2003
www.cormega-central.com
Update

As promised here is the update on my flight Bos-Sti via ewr. The Boston to Ewr flight landed 15 minutes late causing a whole heck of a lot of problems for the sti connection. The major problem i saw is that the plane lands in A which makes everyone get out of the terminal take the monorail to terminal C and redo security. Lucky for me I travel quite often and was able to make it from plane to new terminal and gate in less than 10 minutes but not many of my compadres was not as lucky and kept strageling in way after the scheduled departure time. That along with overbooking problems and a girl who lost her wallet but really didn't caused the sti flight to leave ewr about 40 minutes late.

I'm guessing continental is going to have to add another ewr to sti flight that way they can just rebook the stragglers on the next flight or make the bos-ewr flight earlier or make the ewr to sti flight a little later or even better make the boston flight arrive on the same terminal. just a thought.

Hope this helps to anyone planning bos-sti via ewr on continetal. Other than that service was great and highly recomended over AA.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
exek said:
The major problem i saw is that the plane lands in A which makes everyone get out of the terminal take the monorail to terminal C and redo security. Lucky for me I travel quite often and was able to make it from plane to new terminal and gate in less than 10 minutes...
That's gotta be record time. Even though the monorail makes it quick and easy to get from one terminal to another, and moving through security at EWR is one of the most efficient I've seen; I would not have thought it could be done in less than 20 minutes. You must have hit the ground running, literally.

exek

May 26, 2003
www.cormega-central.com
revised update

^Told you guys I was a veteran of Miami lol. As soon as I got off the plane I just ran since I had a window seat I pretty much saw where the monorail was so when I got of the plane gate I ran towards the direction on where I saw the monorail. When I got to the monorail it arrived within ten seconds of me making it up the stairs. The monorail trip was a few minutes. When I got to terminal C ewr security checkpoint went smoothly as soon as they saw an influx of people they opened up more security lines to get the people through once I got through security I ran again and made it to the gate just as the regular Newark non-connecting passengers were getting on board.

Now here?s an update I forgot to add if you are planning on checking bags forget about seeing them for a few days until you arrive at STI. Even though us humans can make it to the gate on time if we run fast enough the bags apparently can?t and are sent on a non-continental flight within two days. So my suggestion is don?t pack stuff you might need on your checked bags. Now I didn?t know about this until yesterday when I finally arrive at STI. At Newark after proving that is possible to make the connection. I decided to volunteer my seat for first class tickets on the next day flight plus a 500 dollar travel voucher. With having family near Newark and had nothing in Santiago planned until Thursday I couldn?t refuse and took it. Well hope the extended update helps anyone out.

Now I?m caught in a dilemma continue flying with AA with their overall service dropping and prices going up or travel with continental with good service but bags don?t come in for another couple of days.

Sorry for the long post.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
exek said:
Now I?m caught in a dilemma continue flying with AA with their overall service dropping and prices going up or travel with continental with good service but bags don?t come in for another couple of days.
unless you want to spend a night in Newark with your family, you may not have a choice. That 8:50am departure time out of EWR changes often. In April it changes to 8:25am and CO won't even let you book a connecting flight from BOS.