Ocean World

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if the dolphin swims at Ocean World need to be booked in advance? If so, how do I do that??

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Well, i saw a number to call for reservations. But would it be ok to get there and book the excursions, is it that busy?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
What I always tell people is that if Swimming with the Dolphins is going to make the difference in whether your vacation is a success or not - please book in advance. It costs no more and you have guaranteed yourself a time slot. Also you don't pay until you arrive in the DR. What the booking really is, is a reservation which must be paid for 48 hours or more prior to the booking, or else it is automatically cancelled.

In truth, the only time when bookings are that tight is in the peak summer season and since the number of dolphins has increased even those times are not nearly as tight as a year or two ago. In short it it is mission critical - book it; otherwise you are probably OK to wait.

If the situation has changed I am sure that Conchman will update the current status.

Gregg

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
stormer said:
Well, i saw a number to call for reservations. But would it be ok to get there and book the excursions, is it that busy?
Haven't heard of Ocean World being overbooked. This is how I would approach your excursion. You can always book the excursion at full price directly with Ocean World. Or, you can book your excursion, at full price through any of the tour operators. They are located in every hotel, on the beach and 4 or 5 in the Plaza in Playa Dorada. They would be happy to sell you the excursion at full price and make their full commission from Ocean World. But, if you are a good negotiator and buying excursions for multiple people, you should be able to get the salesman to discount the excursion by reducing the commission he receives. His work for 1 ticket is the same as for 4 tickets. Work two or three tour salesman in the Plaza against each other. The worse case is that you walk away and book directly with Ocean World at retail. As the dolphin swim is over $100, you may save quite a bit.
Note that an Ocean World excursion is the same no matter who you purchase it through. Not like a Jeep tour which is different from company to company.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
HOWMAR said:
Haven't heard of Ocean World being overbooked. This is how I would approach your excursion. You can always book the excursion at full price directly with Ocean World. Or, you can book your excursion, at full price through any of the tour operators. They are located in every hotel, on the beach and 4 or 5 in the Plaza in Playa Dorada. They would be happy to sell you the excursion at full price and make their full commission from Ocean World. But, if you are a good negotiator and buying excursions for multiple people, you should be able to get the salesman to discount the excursion by reducing the commission he receives. His work for 1 ticket is the same as for 4 tickets. Work two or three tour salesman in the Plaza against each other. The worse case is that you walk away and book directly with Ocean World at retail. As the dolphin swim is over $100, you may save quite a bit.
Note that an Ocean World excursion is the same no matter who you purchase it through. Not like a Jeep tour which is different from company to company.
AFAIK no one discounts Ocean World tickets. They make less (percentage) on OW tickets than they are used to making and as yet there has been no discounting of which I am aware; even for substantial orders. Of course you are always welcome to try - it can't hurt.

Gregg