Painter named Agustin?

out

Dec 30, 2005
Hi folks!

Nice to see there is a living forum on the Dominican Republic.
Me and my girl were on holiday this year @ Sosua. It was just for a week, but it was nice! We're both from the Netherlands.

When we were in Sosua we doubted about buying a painting. Not the ones you see at every corner, but we saw some interesting real paintings @ a shop near the Sosua beach. It was an art gallery, i think that was also the name of the shop "Art Gallery".
We saw paintings of, if I remember well, a painter namend Agustin.
Does this ring a bell at anyone?

And do you know if there is any possibility to buy a painting from the Netherlands? Is it sold through any channel or are there people coming to the Netherlands soon ;) ?

Well, hope someone knows this guy and his work!

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
While my art history knowledge is limited, at best, maybe this will help:

There was a Mexican painter by the name of Agustin (or maybe Augustin?) Lazo. I believe he died quite some time ago.

There is another Latino artist, although I don't remember the exact nationality, by the name of Agustin Castillo.

Do you happen to know if the artist in qustion was a Dominican or another nationality?

out

Dec 30, 2005
Actually I know very little about it.
I saw 2 paintings I liked (and should have bought).
First was one of a woman at the beach. She had a hat on, and she was looking backward. It was very soft colors, well painted. Almost picture quality.
Second was of a screaming person. More jungle with yellow and green and brown.

I saw them both at the art gallery in the street towards the beach. The downhill street if you know Sosua.

It could also be Augustin but I think it was Agustin.

Any thoughts and help appreciated!

out

Dec 30, 2005
Well just to let you know: I still haven't found the painter.

Doesn't anybody live in Sosua by coincidence? ;)
Just walk down the beach, look on your left hand for the art gallery. On the right wall you see a painting of a woman with a hat on the beach, and a painting of a person screaming in the jungle it seems.
Can you check what the painters name is?