Sales/Marketing Job

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Wondering what success I may have in finding a "decent" job in sales/marketing within the DR.
Decent meaning more than the usual 8000 peso/month.

I have four years retail management experience and 9 years outside sales and marketing experience. Speak some spanish. Have owned my own business before and am familiar with the life and culture in the DR.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have been searching my country information for companies within the DR and have a large listing of companies doing business there-but am getting the feeling it may be best to locate work while in the DR first.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Spnish

So, if my post is written in pur spnish or whtever it gets replies-at least a stupid comment would be great-there usually are so many flying around out there-
was this ahopeless post/question or just too boring ?
oh well.

A

apostropheman

ok, i'll bite:rambo:

if you mean a job in sales that "may" pay more no problem. there are apparantly tons of commission sales positions in timeshares and the like. however, if you think that you can contact what appears to be the parent company in say the USA or Canada and secure a high paying position in the DR it probaly won't happen.

my understanding, 1st, 2nd and 3rd hand, is that in order to land a "decent" job in the DR you have to be established there AND speak fluent spanish AND be more qualifed than local residents or at very least there would have to be a really good reason to hire a foreigner over an equally qualified local.

if it worked like you appear to hope i'd be working there now making a ton of USD...but i'm in the "great white north" freezing my cojones off in my igloo with my sled dogs:eek:

in all seriousness i've also looked here in Canada, and the USA, and have reached the same conclusion...it ain't gonna happen.

move to the DR, get fluent, apply for and receive residency and cedula and then if eminently qualifed you may be able to be in the right place at the right time with the right people introducing you.

when i can afford to "stake" myself that's what i'll be doing. i have skills and experience that "should" make me invaluable to many companies in the DR...the challenge is to be there and to make them realize how wonderful i am. i'm not gonna hold my breath waiting i can tell you. you'll have to have the ability to be on the island, fulltime, for a year or more to even have a prayer and then it may be more fruitful to create your own business.

anyway, if i had the answer i'd be living in paradise instead of slaving away in Canada scheming how to make my dreams come true....good luck and keep me posted when you have success.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Well, that?s more or less the reality.

Getting work here, you need a network, a deep knowlegde of society and the cultural sides of marketing etc.

I guess most foreign companies would look for those skills as well if having a foreign rep in the country.

You can not count on employment before being here.
Networking, networking, networking is the answer.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thank you!

Wanted to say thanks for the response.
Yes, I understand most of the mechanics and such as far as being there. I do not expect in the least to find work before arriving.

And, yes, networking is amazingly important.

Apostropheman-I to am a fellow Canuck. I know from past experience of course like you do that there is no magic solution.
I have done some research into which Canadian companies are already exporting into the DR and was wondering how a Canadian or even u.s. firm may handle hiring there.
It is one thing to have a local but then when dealing with a N.American company - thought that having someone from there culture ie. Canadian or U.S. would be prefered or not.

Life there is hard enough if you aren't making enough money-and having no contacts would leave you out of in the cold.

Thanks again for the response.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
So true.
Marketing here, targeted here is very different from targeting abroad,
and many foreign companies have local staff for this. Due to the cultural knowledges, low salaries and it is of course easier as they live here, and ain?t leaving anywhere so to speak.
But it doesn?t mean it is impossible for you, I think you need to be here and get to know people, network, see the different areas where you might fit in from a local perspective and give it a shot.

This is time consuming though, and for a foreign company, salaries are still quite local.

Good Luck to you! Give it a try!

MauricioFab32

Jun 10, 2004
Send resume

We have an ad placed in the classified section (only one in Spanish), if interested, please email resume.

Mauricio Fabian

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Sales Job

I am the Manager of a US based mortgage company in Santo Domingo that sells residential mortgage loans- refinance and purchase- in the US market. We are on a commission based pay plan that pays you 18% of the gross revenue from the loans you sell. An average loan will gross $4000 US, and a good sales person can close 4-5 loans a month, your sales and income are only limted by your ability. At 4-5 loans a month that will compute to roughly $3000 US which is very good by Dominican Republic standards. Training, transportation, meals, and insurance are all provided. Let me know if you have questions. i am always on the lookout for new talent.